E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > what do you think to these speakers in the e90

02-01-2010, 10:36 AM   #1
jamesdf
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d

what do you think to these speakers in the e90

just been in my local audio shop and they have said the speakers i need and want for the e90 is these he said he as fitted a few e90 out with these and they sound great he just changes the tweeter front door speakers and the ones under the font seats and they said thats all i need. what do you guys think, they are £220 for the speakers and £400 all in fitted.

http://www.hertzaudiovideo.com/default_en.htm
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2010, 10:45 AM   #2
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F34 xDrive

Hertz makes nice speakers. Not magic, but nice.

We had a guy here with a 1-series sold a Hertz tweeter/70mm mid/165mm midbass kit from Hertz. That kit works OK in some other cars, but it's totally the wrong kit for the BMWs in my opinion. The doors need to go as low as possible, and 500 hz is far too high a crossover filter point to hand off from the door mid to the underseat woofer.

If you have base audio, not HiFi nor Logic 7, then you have deck power going to door mounted mids and underseat woofers - 165mm woofers in 200mm frames.

You want to get 200mm woofers which will fit - Hertz makes a woofer called the Space 8 which will work - and you want a 4" 100mm mid in the door as well as a tweeter - all driven by a 4-channel amp for best results (You could probably use their Enegery 4" 100mm in the door on deck power, but you need an amp on the underseats). Hertz doesn't make a passive crossover filter to restrict that 8" to only lower bass, and so you need to restrict those woofers to their own amp channels with a crossiver filter onboard.

I know that the UK shops often have minimal demo capability - but can they refer you to anyone who's gotten these speakers installed? Which Hertz models are they recommending?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 06:26 AM   #3
rude1978
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 320d m sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Electricity View Post
Hertz makes nice speakers. Not magic, but nice.

We had a guy here with a 1-series sold a Hertz tweeter/70mm mid/165mm midbass kit from Hertz. That kit works OK in some other cars, but it's totally the wrong kit for the BMWs in my opinion. The doors need to go as low as possible, and 500 hz is far too high a crossover filter point to hand off from the door mid to the underseat woofer.

If you have base audio, not HiFi nor Logic 7, then you have deck power going to door mounted mids and underseat woofers - 165mm woofers in 200mm frames.

You want to get 200mm woofers which will fit - Hertz makes a woofer called the Space 8 which will work - and you want a 4" 100mm mid in the door as well as a tweeter - all driven by a 4-channel amp for best results (You could probably use their Enegery 4" 100mm in the door on deck power, but you need an amp on the underseats). Hertz doesn't make a passive crossover filter to restrict that 8" to only lower bass, and so you need to restrict those woofers to their own amp channels with a crossiver filter onboard.

I know that the UK shops often have minimal demo capability - but can they refer you to anyone who's gotten these speakers installed? Which Hertz models are they recommending?
Im guessing for that price they will be the esk163l

VP, Do you think if you had a good sub in the boot/trunk it would make up for the high cross over point?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 08:32 AM   #4
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rude1978 View Post
Im guessing for that price they will be the esk163l

VP, Do you think if you had a good sub in the boot/trunk it would make up for the high cross over point?
I'm not VP but I will attempt to answer your question...

No!
      02-14-2011, 02:55 PM   #5
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F34 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by rude1978 View Post
It makes it worse, actually. Subs only work behind us when:

A) They don't generate notes high enough for us to localize (this is a combination of the crossover point, the crossover slope, the enclosure being well-matched to the woofer so the crossover point isn't fighting an electromechanical response hump, and the lack of meaningful upper harmonic distortions which the woofer may generate when it receives the low-bass signals)

B) The middle-bass notes - the ones which create the impression of loud bass AND which create the impression of fast, sudden bass (think a drumstick hitting a drum - happens all at once) HAVE to be coming from in front of us in a realistic way. This has been documented in AES papers as an observed psychoacoustic phenomenon. It's one of the reasons that Bose Acoustmass thing wants the sub up front - those tiny cubes don't play midbass at all.

When I started doing this, we knew this to be true, but we still tried to do without sometimes due to vehicle constraints. A good friend of mine had a 73 280Z with 4" mids and 1" tweeters in the doors, and a 12" in the hatch. Tonality was good, bass was good, but there was a midbass hole and the drum kit always sounded in the trunk.
Appreciate 0