E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Photo/Video/Media Gallery > 335i vs TL anyone???

02-25-2007, 07:08 PM   #1
slick101
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i coupe

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
335i vs TL anyone???

i was just wonderin if anybody had any video's of a 335i coupe or sedan vs a acura tl?? i know it's pretty obvious that the 335i would kick it's butt but i just wanted to c it in person...
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2007, 07:16 PM   #2
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

There was an article a while back about how all of the German Automakers dont even consider the TL a competitor. Its not even close in comparison to what the German sedan market produces.

TL has some nice technology, but has horrendous driving dynamics. I test drove one before ordering my E90, and it wasnt even close. It drove like it was sitting on pogo sticks, torque steered like no other, and could not take a turn to save its life.

If you want a highway cruiser thats nice and comfortable, the TL is a nice car. If you enjoy some spirited driving, there are plenty of other choices to better fit your needs...
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2007, 07:24 PM   #3
RRGOO7
Colonel
Rep
Drives: GTR

Front wheel drive...........that about sums it all up
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2007, 07:27 PM   #4
tom333
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe--black + saddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarian19 View Post
There was an article a while back about how all of the German Automakers dont even consider the TL a competitor. Its not even close in comparison to what the German sedan market produces.

TL has some nice technology, but has horrendous driving dynamics. I test drove one before ordering my E90, and it wasnt even close. It drove like it was sitting on pogo sticks, torque steered like no other, and could not take a turn to save its life.

If you want a highway cruiser thats nice and comfortable, the TL is a nice car. If you enjoy some spirited driving, there are plenty of other choices to better fit your needs...
No kidding. Drivers don't consider it a car. Having driven i certainly woudn't call it good at anything. The steering is like a old rickedy boat and the suspension bounces from bumps after you've passed them. YUCK

The Ultimate... Machine.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2007, 07:38 PM   #5
bronco
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92

Honda should seriously consider a RWD implementation....
      02-25-2007, 07:46 PM   #6
BoostedBMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: TiAg E92 335

Garage List
2003 S2000  [0.00]
I testdrove a TL for my mother when she was looking for a new car, and that thing was horrible IMO. Very plush interior and the exterior styling was nice, but the suspension felt like a cadillac, and the FWD setup was the final nail in the coffin for me. I didn't like it at all. She ended up getting a 3'er instead.

l 19" Rial Daytona Race l KW V2 l Eisenhaus Race Exhaust l
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2007, 07:48 PM   #7
Carnage
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: people insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick101 View Post
i was just wonderin if anybody had any video's of a 335i coupe or sedan vs a acura tl?? i know it's pretty obvious that the 335i would kick it's butt but i just wanted to c it in person...
it's not worth your time. Watch video of a 335 vs. some real competition.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2007, 07:51 PM   #8
Couch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco View Post
Every car manufacturer should. I think car companies under estimate how big of a market RWD really is.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2007, 08:06 PM   #9
mbdurham
Commander in Chief
Rep
Drives: Fast

Quote:
The TL is sopposed to be going AWD in 2009
07 E90 335i / JET BLACK / TERRA / WALNUT / NAVI / PREMIUM / SPORT / COMFORT ACCESS / HEATED SEATS / SIRIUS / OEM CD CHANGER / OEM LIP SPOILER / OEM AW MATS & CARGO LINER / OEM AL PEDALS / OEM BLACK LINES / OEM JACK KIT / OEM MOBILITY KIT / OEM WHEEL LOCKS / 35% TINT / 19" M6 REPS / 245/275 MICHELIN PILOT SPORT A/S
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2007, 08:15 PM   #10
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbdurham View Post
The TL is sopposed to be going AWD in 2009
They have been saying that forever. It was supposed to be implemented in 2007. While it would be a huge improvement for the TL, it doesnt solve all of its handling issues...
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2007, 08:16 PM   #11
mbdurham
Commander in Chief
Rep

I currently own both a e90 335 and a slightly modified '05 TL ASpec (rims, intake, suspension etc.) it is hard to compare the performance of these two cars. The TL is a very nice car in Aspec form and pretty quick but is lacking in a few areas. The Apsec suspension and thicker sway bars tightens it up but it is still FWD, the steering is too light and it needs more torque.

07 E90 335i / JET BLACK / TERRA / WALNUT / NAVI / PREMIUM / SPORT / COMFORT ACCESS / HEATED SEATS / SIRIUS / OEM CD CHANGER / OEM LIP SPOILER / OEM AW MATS & CARGO LINER / OEM AL PEDALS / OEM BLACK LINES / OEM JACK KIT / OEM MOBILITY KIT / OEM WHEEL LOCKS / 35% TINT / 19" M6 REPS / 245/275 MICHELIN PILOT SPORT A/S
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2007, 08:19 PM   #12
ironic
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 335i

they have nice styling haha

Widebody 335i Project Car BUILD | PHOTOSHOOT
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2007, 08:23 PM   #13
mbdurham
Commander in Chief
Rep

Quote:
They have been saying that forever. It was supposed to be implemented in 2007. While it would be a huge improvement for the TL, it doesnt solve all of its handling issues...
Who has been saying that forever? Are you talking about rumors in forums? It was never to be implemented in 2007. The 5th generation will be out in '09 The SH-AWD would definitely help the TL tremendously. The torque steer would be gone, with the Aspec suspension it would be tighter they could give it more torque and hopefully more HP as long as they tighten the steering some it would be a great improvement.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2007, 08:30 PM   #14
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Who has neen saying that forever? Are you talking about rumors in forums? It was never to be implemented in 2007. The 5th generation will be in '09 The SH-AWD would definitely help the TL tremendously. The torque steer would be gone, with the Aspec suspension it would be tighter they could give it more torque and hopefully more HP as long as they tighten the steering some it would be a great improvement.
The TL boards were saying this all the time only about a year after the original TL was released. It was to be in the 2nd or 3rd model year (I forget which one).

Again, AWD is not the answer for this car. It is too nose heavy and will continue to snowplow through turns (albeit less than FWD)...
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2007, 08:44 PM   #15
mbdurham
Commander in Chief
Rep

Quote:
The TL boards were saying this all the time only about a year after the original TL was released. It was to be in the 2nd or 3rd model year (I forget which one).

Again, AWD is not the answer for this car. It is too nose heavy and will continue to snowplow through turns (albeit less than FWD)...
The TL boards were wishing Acura would go AWD but now with AWD in the RL, MDX, & RDX the TL is the next logical choice.

The reason it is so nose heavy is because it is FWD. The RL according to Car and Driver handles amazingly. The RL is too heavy and does not have enough torque. If acura does things right and combines SH-AWD in the lighter TL with more HP how can you say AWD is not the anwer?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2007, 08:52 PM   #16
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The TL boards were wishing Acura would go AWD but now with AWD in the RL, MDX, & RDX the TL is the next logical choice.

The reason it is so nose heavy is because it is FWD. The RL according to Car and Driver handles amazingly. The RL is too heavy and does not have enough HP. If acura does things right and combines SH-AWD in the lighter TL with more HP how can you say AWD is not the anwer?
Because AWD will still not fix the weight distribution. It will propagate the weight better, but the bulk of the engine and some drive components will still be forward of the front axle. Simply putting more power to the rear isnt going to solve the problem.

I dont care what C&D says about cars anymore. I have driven the RL and TL, and have been less than satisfied with the way either have handled. The RL is an improvement, but still not the greatest by any stretch of the imagination. C&D can say what they want, but I wont be buying an Acura for a while...

AWD also does not solve the ride height and center of gravity issue the TL suffers from. The car sits too high in order to properly handle as well. It rides more like a lexus than a sports car. Thats ok because thats the market they are gearing towards.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2007, 08:59 PM   #17
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

I dont get why you would wanna see the video when you know the TL will lose.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2007, 09:08 PM   #18
Walked U
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Too many to list

Quote:
Uhhh i think they already did.

Sk2
Ferrari 575 SA, 458 Italia
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2007, 09:09 PM   #19
mbdurham
Commander in Chief
Rep

Quote:
Because AWD will still not fix the weight distribution. It will propagate the weight better, but the bulk of the engine and some drive components will still be forward of the front axle. Simply putting more power to the rear isnt going to solve the problem.

I dont care what C&D says about cars anymore. I have driven the RL and TL, and have been less than satisfied with the way either have handled. The RL is an improvement, but still not the greatest by any stretch of the imagination. C&D can say what they want, but I wont be buying an Acura for a while...

AWD also does not solve the ride height and center of gravity issue the TL suffers from. The car sits too high in order to properly handle as well. It rides more like a lexus than a sports car. Thats ok because thats the market they are gearing towards.
The AWD relocates the engine further rearward due to the redesign of the drive system which help correct the weight distribution problem. Apparently the RL and TL you drove must not have had Aspec sport package because that makes a huge difference ....a few changes on Acuras part and the TL could be an amazing car....

In my opinion I can't really compare my TL and 335. They are two totally different driving experiences. The 335 performs much much better but the TL is definitely not the mom mobile you make it sound like.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2007, 09:19 PM   #20
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The AWD relocates the engine further rearward due to the redesign of the drive system which help correct the weight distribution problem. Apparently the RL and TL you drove must not have had Aspec sport package because that makes a huge difference ....a few changes on Acuras part and the TL could be an amazing car....

In my opinion I can't really compare my TL and 335. They are two totally different driving experiences. The 335 performs much much better but the TL is definitely not the mom mobile you make it sound like.
Well, Im not going to continue in this disagreement. We all have our opinions, and we are entitled to think what we want.

After driving both of those cars, I was extremely dissapointed in their handling. The RL was better than the TL, but wasnt close to the BMW, MB, or even the Audi that I test drove.

One of the most important things to me in a car is driving dynamics, and both Acuras fell well short of my standard. But again, to each their own.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2007, 09:27 PM   #21
tom333
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe--black + saddle

haha

sorry burrito about your TL but BMW has big plans for your future. theyll take care of you

The Ultimate... Machine.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2007, 09:37 PM   #22
Acuracy
SAYPL335
Guyana
Rep
Drives: 07 E92 335 FBO - 16 F80 M3

Quote:

Yea i agree 100%. I had a 04 TL modded and no wat does it compare to my E92, but it is a great highway cruiser. Even with Tein Coilovers, bigger rear Sway bar it still handled like like crap compared to my E92. But the TL was definitly a looker and it is what it is, a mid level luxury car, nothing to write home about. For the hell of it this was my TL, i do miss it sometimes.

Appreciate 0