E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Aftermarket vs M3 suspension

07-30-2009, 06:56 PM   #1
retrodrive
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Aftermarket vs M3 suspension

My car currently has a set of Hotchkis sway bars installed. I am also looking to installing an LSD and a set of KW3s in the near future.

The question I have is whether I should just do what I am doing or should upgrade to a full M3 suspension setup including the M3 sway bars LSD and KW3s. What is the best handeling and performing setup I can have with money not being an object?

I would hope for some factual answers and not oppinions please.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2009, 12:50 PM   #2
DaFish
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 435iX, FBO

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by retrodrive View Post
The question I have is whether I should just do what I am doing or should upgrade to a full M3 suspension setup including the M3 sway bars LSD and KW3s.
You can't put the M3 LSD in your E92, you have to go with th Quaife LSD which is fine. (search the forum on that)
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2009, 12:59 PM   #3
zsapphire7
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 M3

i think the best would be KW clubsports with custom swift springs. Orb and Harold have been working on that setup for quite a while now. Of course that setup includes all other M3 suspension parts as well, subframe bushings ect.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2009, 08:56 PM   #4
retrodrive
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Well, yes, I was going for a Quafe, Dinan or a Wavetrack (waiting on reviews) LSD. Also I was going for a full M3 suspension swap (excluding the sways).

Here is my concearn though. Hotchkis sways are designed and tested for the car that has no LSD and the whole M3 suspension is designed for the stock M3 strut and spring setup (not coilovers). My question is what sway bar setup would work best?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2009, 09:14 PM   #5
roozie2001
Just some guy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 White 335i sedan

Quote:
Well, yes, I was going for a Quafe, Dinan or a Wavetrack (waiting on reviews) LSD. Also I was going for a full M3 suspension swap (excluding the sways).

Here is my concearn though. Hotchkis sways are designed and tested for the car that has no LSD and the whole M3 suspension is designed for the stock M3 strut and spring setup (not coilovers). My question is what sway bar setup would work best?

if im not mistaken the Dinan is a Quaife just more expensive cuz of the badge
      07-31-2009, 09:29 PM   #6
retrodrive
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I have a welded differential so all in all I am not too sure which one would be cheaper. I think Dinan does not care what differential I have...its the same price for bolted and welded. I actually sell Quafe differentials so I can get it cheaper. I will look into Wavetrack costs.

My question on the coilover / sways / M3 suspension components combo still stands though.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2009, 09:51 PM   #7
I335
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '08 335i Coupe

Sounds like you should just consult directly with Harold - I'm sure he can set you up with the best... And please keep us posted - very interested in what you decide on and how you like it...
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2009, 04:28 PM   #8
retrodrive
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by I335 View Post
Sounds like you should just consult directly with Harold - I'm sure he can set you up with the best... And please keep us posted - very interested in what you decide on and how you like it...
The whole idea is to have this discussion here so several knowlegible people could tune in. This would help me out and educate the forum members at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2009, 05:54 PM   #9
jbass524
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
The whole idea is to have this discussion here so several knowlegible people could tune in. This would help me out and educate the forum members at the same time.
Agreed

I think what 1335 meant was that Harold and Orb have been developing suspension using various shocks, springs, sways, M3 parts and other equipment that only performance shops that are focused on our cars would have. They are also more knowledgeable then most of us.

MHO assuming you're going to drive aggressively, maybe at the track?
As for your question about what sways would work? Lots of content in here about that. Don't make a decision on sways until all other mods are complete. They are meant to fine tune not drastically change your handling. You may find the Hotchkis too stiff with KWs in. Depends on spring rate and driving style.

Install all the M3 bits but not the struts, shocks and springs. Your KWs are going to be far better.
Appreciate 0