E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Micro scratches

03-26-2014, 08:05 PM   #1
rudytheguitarist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i convertible e93

Micro scratches

What do you guys recommend to remove micro scratches on a black paint job? In the shade you can't see the little micro scratches, but once it's in the sun you see lots of micro scratches. So any products that could remove this would be great thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2014, 08:08 PM   #2
0ngel
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 E90

Garage List
2008 328  [0.00]
Subscribed
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2014, 09:05 PM   #3
F30_CH
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 335i 8AT

The thing about swirl marks is it really depends on how much detail you pay attention to while washing and caring for your car. Anything from a dirty wash mitten to dirty towel or even dirty bucket of water can add swirl marks over and over again. So first things first, I'd go to the store and purchase new daily wash materials such as 2 new buckets, micro fiber towels, a few new wash mittens + brushes and then use the 2 bucket method (soap water + rinse bucket) for daily washes to help with not adding swirls . If you really want to do a serious detail job and remove all swirls (to best as possible) you'll need to following the steps listed below. Just do some research on proper equipment needed and what suits you and your lifestyle best. I use an orbital polisher with menzerna product for swirl removal. Check out DetailersDomain dot Com and look through all the sections of the products they sell to get a generalized idea of what is needed for each portion of the car i.e. wheels, glass, body etc.

-Wash car really well + Dry + Pull car into the shade
-Clay Bar the paint and windows
-Compound ( I suggest Menzerna FG 400 Compund)
-Polish ( Again Menzera works well)
-Sealant
-Wax (A type of Carnuba Wax works well)

Best of luck!
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2014, 09:16 PM   #4
rudytheguitarist
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by _CH_ View Post
The thing about swirl marks is it really depends on how much detail you pay attention to while washing and caring for your car. Anything from a dirty wash mitten to dirty towel or even dirty bucket of water can add swirl marks over and over again. So first things first, I'd go to the store and purchase new daily wash materials such as 2 new buckets, micro fiber towels, a few new wash mittens + brushes and then use the 2 bucket method (soap water + rinse bucket) for daily washes to help with not adding swirls . If you really want to do a serious detail job and remove all swirls (to best as possible) you'll need to following the steps listed below. Just do some research on proper equipment needed and what suits you and your lifestyle best. I use an orbital polisher with menzerna product for swirl removal. Check out DetailersDomain dot Com and look through all the sections of the products they sell to get a generalized idea of what is needed for each portion of the car i.e. wheels, glass, body etc.

-Wash car really well + Dry + Pull car into the shade
-Clay Bar the paint and windows
-Compound ( I suggest Menzerna FG 400 Compund)
-Polish ( Again Menzera works well)
-Sealant
-Wax (A type of Carnuba Wax works well)

Best of luck!
thank you man i am taking advantage of what you said. I appreciate it
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2014, 09:20 PM   #5
paprmkr
BMW Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: 2024 i5 M60 w/M-Performance ki

i use clay bar
then Adamspolishes. i have two black cars and using the portal cable with foam pads its easy to keep them micro off. but you know even wax , polish will do good job but its how well they keep them from appearing back. that comes down to your cleaning habits. where is california are you, I'm in Oxnard
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2014, 09:21 PM   #6
rudytheguitarist
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paprmkr
i use clay bar
then Adamspolishes. i have two black cars and using the portal cable with foam pads its easy to keep them micro off. but you know even wax , polish will do good job but its how well they keep them from appearing back. that comes down to your cleaning habits. where is california are you, I'm in Oxnard
I am up a couple miles away in Palmdale and Lancaster, up in the stupid desert!
And thank you
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2014, 10:17 PM   #7
SHEEDI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i - Sport PKG

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [8.50]
OP; read this guide first before you buy anything http://www.detailedimage.com/Auto-Detailing-Guide/
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2014, 09:50 AM   #8
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

As was mentioned above, you will need to polish the car to some extent in order to remove the swirl marks. Black paint is sometimes painfully sensitive, so working on it may require some skill and patience.

Do you already have any polishing supplies, machines, etc? I'd be more than happy to help put together a kit for you if necessary, but in short you will probably need some combination of Meguiar's D300, Meguiar's M205 and Menzerna SF4500. Other polishes should work with the proper pads, but those are my favorites.

Let me know if I could be of further assistance.

Ivan @ DI
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2014, 02:31 PM   #9
rudytheguitarist
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detailed Image
As was mentioned above, you will need to polish the car to some extent in order to remove the swirl marks. Black paint is sometimes painfully sensitive, so working on it may require some skill and patience.

Do you already have any polishing supplies, machines, etc? I'd be more than happy to help put together a kit for you if necessary, but in short you will probably need some combination of Meguiar's D300, Meguiar's M205 and Menzerna SF4500. Other polishes should work with the proper pads, but those are my favorites.

Let me know if I could be of further assistance.

Ivan @ DI
Unfortunately I don't, all I use is meguiars quick wax ! Sorry If i spelled that wrong. I'm just a hard working teen and I'm really right now just off with soap and buckets some microfiber towels and quick wax!
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2014, 12:23 PM   #10
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudytheguitarist View Post
Unfortunately I don't, all I use is meguiars quick wax ! Sorry If i spelled that wrong. I'm just a hard working teen and I'm really right now just off with soap and buckets some microfiber towels and quick wax!
I see. It's where everyone starts and it's actually a great way to start, because the #1 way to not have swirl marks in your paint is to prevent more from appearing as much as possible. Proper wash products and techniques are thus the first step.

As I said above, you'll need to invest at the very minimum in some polishes and hand applicators, but doing it by hand will be VERY tiring and yield results that can be improved upon. It's much better, faster and easier to use a machine and pads, such as the Porter Cable 7424XP and Lake Country 5.5" pads.

Please let me know if I can be of any assistance putting together a kit and for what budget. You can always start small with just the PC7424XP machine and a couple pads and polishes, then build your kit up from there.

Ivan @ DI
Appreciate 0