E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > Harry's LTP + Emprum's UltiMate GPS

08-02-2012, 02:37 PM   #1
acj75
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i

Harry's LTP + Emprum's UltiMate GPS

I've been using Harry's Lap Timer Pro on my iPhone 4 for a while now, and overall it's pretty sufficient for an occasional weekend warrior like me. However, I was thinking a little more accuracy would be nice.

Someone was recently telling me about the Emprum UltiMate GPS add on for the iPhone that increases the refresh rate from 1 Hz to 5 Hz. It's got a nice small footprint, and supposedly works quite well. Per their website:

"Emprum's UltiMate GPS provides a real 5 Hz update rate for all App Store apps.

Competitors may claim up to 10 Hz update rate as their GPS engine is capable of that, but in reality their accessory will only work at 1Hz with App Store apps. The Emprum UltiMate GPS accessory is the only accessory on the market that provides a true 5 Hz update rate for all App Store apps.

Additionally, we work with third party app developers and provide them with direct NMEA integration and guidelines for their apps. A good example of this is Harry's Laptimer app which takes full advantage of this."

I was curious to see if any of you tracksters are using this setup, and if so, what are your impressions? At around $100, I think it sounds pretty reasonable.
      08-02-2012, 04:01 PM   #2
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
I have this SAME exact setup and it's great. However, the only reason I'd tell you to hold off is because iPhone 5 comes out in September and will no longer use the current 30pin port. Therefore you won't be able to use this device until an adapter is released, and I'd imagine the hardware would get somewhat bulkier.

Aside from the obvious reasons as to why this device is great, one thing people forget is that by using this attachment, you can keep your phone in airplane mode (since it relies on this external hardware for GPS lock). That makes a big difference in battery life. For example, I was at Summit this past weekend where nobody really could get a signal. Even though I didn't use the phone, the fact it was constantly looking for a signal drained my battery from 90% to 35% by 4pm. Next day, I left in airplane mode, used the emprum on all 4 runs and still had 70% battery left.

Another device I suggest you getting is the GoPoint BT hardware. It'll let HLT sync up with your OBD so you can get engine data. Version 16 of the software should be released by August and the GoPoint will be compatible with HLT by then.

My best run at Summit Main:

(battery shows 31% but this was much later in the evening after I left the track)
      08-02-2012, 05:15 PM   #3
acj75
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Awesome input, exactly what I needed to know. You also addressed my thoughts on holding off for the iPhone 5. I didn't know they'd be changing the charge port. I wonder if they'll also improve on the 1 Hz refresh rate?

Battery life is less of a concern to me than that of gps accuracy. In your opinion, is the improvement worth the cost of the unit?
      08-02-2012, 07:40 PM   #4
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by acj75 View Post
Awesome input, exactly what I needed to know. You also addressed my thoughts on holding off for the iPhone 5. I didn't know they'd be changing the charge port. I wonder if they'll also improve on the 1 Hz refresh rate?

Battery life is less of a concern to me than that of gps accuracy. In your opinion, is the improvement worth the cost of the unit?
Honestly $100 is a lot for this hardware but it's all relative. Considering other data logging equipment goes from $400 to a grand or two, I guess its cheap in that sense. But I guess also depends on his serious you are. To me if it's just for making cool videos probably not needed but if you're logging your times, understanding entry and exit speeds, finding when you're prematurely lifting, etc., then it's probably worth paying for the accuracy.

Oh yea if the tracks you drive on are in areas with strong reception, probably less reason to buy the emprum. I know some of the tracks I hit up are in the boonies so I needed the external antenna.
      08-02-2012, 08:12 PM   #5
acj75
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSC_OFF View Post
Honestly $100 is a lot for this hardware but it's all relative. Considering other data logging equipment goes from $400 to a grand or two, I guess its cheap in that sense. But I guess also depends on his serious you are. To me if it's just for making cool videos probably not needed but if you're logging your times, understanding entry and exit speeds, finding when you're prematurely lifting, etc., then it's probably worth paying for the accuracy.

Oh yea if the tracks you drive on are in areas with strong reception, probably less reason to buy the emprum. I know some of the tracks I hit up are in the boonies so I needed the external antenna.
Great, thanks for the input. I'm not looking to break records or quit my day job, but I think there is definitely something to be gained by recording telemetry. I'm mainly interested in logging lap times on track to gauge my improvement, and I do enjoy throwing together videos in my free time. This helps, Thanks again!
      08-07-2012, 06:37 PM   #6
pavo335
Banned
Rep
Drives: 3.5 wheeler

I opted for the cmslaptimer pro (there is a free version as well) and use the badelf gps module and i have found the times are within .01 of the track times pretty consistantly. If i didn't have the jb4 (that locks the odbII port) i'd probably get harrys for the cool on screen telematics. Either way great for easy video and lap times for when you cannot get 'official' lap times. btw i always carry a charger
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 01:54 PM   #7
mid-corner fun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, '22 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavo335 View Post
If i didn't have the jb4 (that locks the odbII port) i'd probably get harrys for the cool on screen telematics.
It does not lock the OBD-II port. I've successfully used Torque Pro to pull data off OBD while having the JB4 in non-bypass maps.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 06:41 PM   #8
pavo335
Banned
Rep
Drives: 3.5 wheeler

ill try it again but last time i asked terry he said no no no the jb4 locks the port on all maps except 0.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2012, 09:50 PM   #9
Malapropism
Book Worm
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Hey guys, I am highly considering the emprum + harry's setup for some upcoming track days. But it seems the only way I can get the emprum ultimate in Canada is thru shipping which takes a while (from amazon or the emprum website)

However I'll be in NYC for a few days next week and was wondering if anyone knew where I could pick up an emprum ultimate locally?
      08-11-2012, 10:48 PM   #10
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malapropism View Post
Hey guys, I am highly considering the emprum + harry's setup for some upcoming track days. But it seems the only way I can get the emprum ultimate in Canada is thru shipping which takes a while (from amazon or the emprum website)

However I'll be in NYC for a few days next week and was wondering if anyone knew where I could pick up an emprum ultimate locally?
I'm in Northern NJ, very close to NYC. If you're willing to cross the Hudson, I'd be more than happy to meet with you. PM if you'd like to meet...