E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > How I clean my Morr VS7's....no longer a pain!

07-13-2008, 11:09 PM   #1
normtrum
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 335i, e46 330i

How I clean my Morr VS7's....no longer a pain!

This thread probably won't make a lot of sense for most people on this forum...but for us VS7 owners, I think it might help.

As we all know (all too well) the VS7's are a major pain to keep clean. They are incredible looking wheels...I love mine, and get comments on them all the time....but holy shit are they tough to maintain!

I have tried many...MANY different techniques, and all I get is some cut hands, and only partially clean wheels. The problem...as we all know, is the large area behind the spokes. The outer edges are easy, but it is very difficult to get your hand in between the spokes, and clean the very large area behind. I've tried brushes, sponges, wet towels, and even a soapy hand, but they never get completely clean, and it takes a long time....usually about 45 - 60 minutes.

So after a lot of trial and error, I finally came up with a great solution, using some very inexpensive tools. Now I know the first thing some people will say is "change the brake pads". I know...but I haven't gotten around to doing this yet. Also, some people will say "just wipe them down with a towel in between washes". I know this too, and you can use my way with just water, and it still works pretty much the same way. But for educational purposes, let's say that you just drove a couple hundred miles, and your wheels are a mess (along with your car). This is what I figured out:

Step 1: Rinse. I have Poorboys wheel sealant on my wheels, so I can get a little bit of the dust/dirt off, but not much.

Step 2: I just picked up Griot's "4 finger lambskin mit". It costs $7.99, and it works great. It works perfect for in-between the spokes...even the small ones. I use it for all the outside edges. It's small, but thick, so it works great for the tight areas.

Step 3: This is the big winner....I bought this "duster" at Home Depot for about $10. It's primarily used for dusting elsctronics, so it comes with a film on it. I ran it through the dishwasher a few times, and the film came off. I soap this thing up, then put it through the fat spokes only. Because it has a short handle, it's not too big, and it still easily reaches all the way to the back of the wheel. I can also move it up and down, so I don't have to try and ram it in-between the smaller spokes. Also, I can get all the way around the back side of the wheel, so it's no longer necessary to clean a section...get in the car...and move forward (or backward) to rotate the wheels in order to get better access.

Step 4: Rinse (duh)

Step 5: Drying....I use a Black and Decker cordless leaf blower. I stick it in-between the spokes, and blow the water that accumulates in the back right off. I then hit the spokes, and the lugs, and about 90% of the water comes right off. This is where the sealant comes in handy, since the water beads.

Step 6: Finish the wheel off with a MF towel.

The bottom pic shows the result. What used to take me 45-60 minutes, now takes about 5-7 minutes per wheel. You can use the same tools for between wash touch ups as well, just use water.

I hope this helps...I know most people won't run out and buy a leaf blower, but I already had one, so it wasn't a big deal. I also use it after washes, for little nooks and crannys...like for my side mirrors, and my grills.

I suppose this might work for other hard to clean wheels as well, but I knew most of the VS7 owners might appreciate a few tips. Great wheel....just a bitch to clean!
Attached Images

07-13-2008, 11:12 PM   #2
m2kev
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: G87 M2

haha nice.... nice wheels.. gotta keep on top of it... i just installed iforged daytona's... and had a wash yesterday.. the water in the back of the wheels was a b**** to clean out... so i had to drive around the block... but the electric leaf blower is now going to be in the near future...
      07-14-2008, 02:32 AM   #3
Saigon
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM E92 335i Coupe

nicely done

M-Sport | BMW Performance | Beige l Piano Black l Sport l Premium l Heated l Navi | Steptronic l Comfort Access l Logic7 l iPod & USB |
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2008, 06:50 PM   #4
normtrum
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92K335i View Post
haha nice.... nice wheels.. gotta keep on top of it... i just installed iforged daytona's... and had a wash yesterday.. the water in the back of the wheels was a b**** to clean out... so i had to drive around the block... but the electric leaf blower is now going to be in the near future...
Ya I was getting tired of cutting my hands because I was trying to cram my hand all the way to the back of the wheel. this little duster thing I bought is also very flat...so it even fit under the rotor and caliper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saigon View Post
nicely done
thanks man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Babs View Post
OMG AWESOME!!!! Thanks man, im gonna try this. I have the style 197 wheels and it takes me a good hr to clean all 4 and they arent fully clean, meaning the back/inside of the wheel is still dirty. As far as the duster goes can you put the name down and how you washed it in the dishwasher, just water and soap??? Also where did you get the little 4 finger mitt from?? Also you dont use any rim cleaner?? I use CG's citrus wheel cleaner and it works awesome, i also have PB wheel sealant but i havent put it on yet. Im excited b/c i feel the pain!
I know there are a lot of wheels other then the VS7's that must be a pain to clean...so maybe this can help a few other people as well!

I picked up the duster from Home Depot...I can't remember the name (it's not labled) but I found it in the same aisle as the mops...if that helps. I ran it twice through the DW....we use those little cascade packets?? I'm not sure what they're actually called.

Here is the link for the Griot's "4 finger mitt"...I can't tell you how much I dig using this thing. Full size mits are too big, a sponge is too bulky, and a towell is a pain. http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...finger+mitt.do

I don't use any special wheel cleaner....I've never had much luck with them. Plus I don't really want to put anything to overly harsh on the wheels, which might affect the finish over time.
      07-16-2008, 12:07 AM   #5
Turbo_435i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Fire Spittin 435i

the water sitting on the bottom of the rims happened to me too, then i thought, maybe id just drill a hole so the water could drain, then i realized and said to myself " hey dummy, how the air gonna stay in the tire then, haaaaa" i ahd volk wheels.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2008, 09:42 PM   #6
Hedges
Major General
Rep
Drives: 12 C63 AMG

sub'd
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2008, 09:57 PM   #7
purplewidow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335

i have the vs8's which are a lil easier but not by much!!!

i use swissvax yellow "wash" microfiber and brush with p21s gel.

then i use griots scrubby grey handle white scrubby top for the inside of the wheel..it's the only thing i have bought from them besides swabs!!

i really need a blower..maybe a vac and blo is powerful enough. i would only do tight area's and wheels anyways not the whole car.. i dry my wheels and tire front's by hand. with a MF just dabbing the tires using the same yellow wash mf.. the vs8 can really collect water at the bottom on the rears esp.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2008, 02:49 PM   #8
Psylight
Brigadier General
Mexico
Rep
Drives: Teh Space Gray E92 M 6MT

SICK!!! Good idea!!!! ANY kind of CSL rep is a bitch to clean!!!!!! Thanks for the info!!!
      11-08-2008, 06:50 PM   #9
SGxi
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 328xi

Garage List
2007 328xi  [0.00]
Have you tried this?

http://www.detailedimage.com/DI-Acce...il-Brush-P273/

I have been using it on my iForged, and it cleans the inside of the rims quite well, though your solution is definitely way more thorough than using the brush.
      11-08-2008, 07:13 PM   #10
normtrum
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGxi View Post
Have you tried this?

http://www.detailedimage.com/DI-Acce...il-Brush-P273/

I have been using it on my iForged, and it cleans the inside of the rims quite well, though your solution is definitely way more thorough than using the brush.
I haven't tried it, but I was looking at it a few weeks ago....I'm on that site way too much.

I've got my method down so well now, it takes me less then 5 minutes per wheel...and I get every inch behind the spokes. Plus I can pull the handle off and throw the thing in the washing machine.
      11-08-2008, 08:28 PM   #11
SGxi
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 328xi

Garage List
2007 328xi  [0.00]
Nice!

The brush actually can just be rinsed off and cleaned with soapy hot water (per the instruction), though if you have bigger brakes, you may have clearence issue with the brush (it is a lot larger than what you are using).
      11-08-2008, 08:40 PM   #12
PaulBailey@ltbmw
General
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2-325 330 2-335 2-Z4 2-135 X5d

Garage List
Hahahha nice plan.
Should work with several different style of these hard to clean wheels.
I'll have to give it a try
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2008, 08:47 PM   #13
normtrum
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPaulBaiLeyx View Post
Hahahha nice plan.
Should work with several different style of these hard to clean wheels.
I'll have to give it a try
Thx dude. Here's a weird fact.... I happen to be wearing a Huntington Beach hoody right now in Seattle!
      11-08-2008, 08:50 PM   #14
PaulBailey@ltbmw
General
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2-325 330 2-335 2-Z4 2-135 X5d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by normtrum View Post
Thx dude. Here's a weird fact.... I happen to be wearing a Huntington Beach hoody right now in Seattle!
Hahahaha
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2009, 04:00 PM   #15
scottp999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 4runner SR5

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [9.00]
Thought I would bump this great thread. I just got some CSL reps and this wheel cleaning procedure will be great. I put on a layer of wheel wax and another layer of poorboys wheel sealant.

I was also told by another member (Sniz) that for the duster, you could also find the mini california duster at most auto parts stores and use it. It is about the same size as the one in your pictures.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2009, 08:54 PM   #16
normtrum
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottp999 View Post
Thought I would bump this great thread. I just got some CSL reps and this wheel cleaning procedure will be great. I put on a layer of wheel wax and another layer of poorboys wheel sealant.

I was also told by another member (Sniz) that for the duster, you could also find the mini california duster at most auto parts stores and use it. It is about the same size as the one in your pictures.

Thanks!
thanks scott. It's been a while since I've seen this thread.

I haven't changed a thing either....I still use the same method. Still works great!
      04-02-2009, 09:58 PM   #17
Detailers Domain
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 20 M2C / 22 X3MC

great write up.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2009, 11:22 PM   #18
nasdakboy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08' 328i coupe

Nice job!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2009, 12:54 AM   #19
Craig@SupremePower
G.O.A.T.!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 GMC Yukon XL

Ahhhh nice!!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2009, 12:56 AM   #20
shadowcoder
Captain
Greece
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Very nice. I have VS7s and I just saw this thread. One clueless question though. The
sealant - how long does it stay on the wheels and is it worth it?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2009, 12:20 PM   #21
normtrum
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowcoder View Post
Very nice. I have VS7s and I just saw this thread. One clueless question though. The
sealant - how long does it stay on the wheels and is it worth it?
The sealant really doesn't stay on very long....with all the brake dust, and my "in-between wash" wipe downs, and then this full blown cleaning. To be honest I haven't re-applied any sealant in quite a while. These wheels were a pain to apply my Poorboys sealant when they were new and not on the car yet. I'm sure they're a huge pita while they're on. That's why I like this method so well, it's so fast and it completely cleans the entire wheel. It makes me not really care if I don't have an adequate layer of sealant.
      04-03-2009, 11:30 PM   #22
NinetyEight740
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2 - 2013 535i msport

Garage List
2010 E91  [0.00]
good idea
Appreciate 0