E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Camaro SS

02-09-2013, 10:14 AM   #1
parrp
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 3er

Camaro SS

Had the opportunity to drive One of these for two weeks. Having covered nearly 1000 miles I thought I would share my experience.

First impressions were "it's bumble bee!" However it sadly did not transform my opinion on the car. While the car is not terrible it just isn't as good as it could be. The brakes are either on or off with no true progressive feel and the gearbox in sports mode is brutal. The car doesn't feel very posed when cornering and doesn't inspire confidence that it would be happy being thrown around.

Has to be said when you give the loud pedal a good press you are rewarded with a dirty noise and a tingling feel in the gentleman region. Power being hammered home from a 6.2 litre v8 just seemed to lack the delivery of the m3's.

The car has some nice features such as the heads up display and rear view camera. The car driven had a boston audio system delivers a good crisp sound but was nothing spectacular. The front seats are large leather buckets and anyone over 5'8 can forget seating in the back.

All in all it was nice to have the chance to drive one but I wouldn't swap my 3 series for one.

Appreciate 0
      02-09-2013, 11:32 AM   #2
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

My 4yo would love it!!

Oh and do you get your hand trapped between the handbrake and the roof? Seems a fair bit of travel there...
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2013, 11:38 AM   #3
parrp
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich1068 View Post
My 4yo would love it!!

Oh and do you get your hand trapped between the handbrake and the roof? Seems a fair bit of travel there...
You have to get the passenger to operate it as its so far away and that's only just on it will go more!
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2013, 11:51 AM   #4
marlie
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i

I nearly bought one if these for a weekend car.. But the LHD put me off in the end
      02-09-2013, 06:42 PM   #5
quattrogmbh
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Looks like someone has enjoyed doing donuts in the car.

Handbrake travel isnt normal..
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2013, 03:36 AM   #6
mowflow
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Golf 7R

Probably sums up 90% of these American muscle cars. Nice noise, fast but not as fast as it should be for it's engine size and don't even look at a corner.

I looked at an older mustang as a weekender. The noise and looks did it for me but just about everything else put me right off.

PS. How the hell do you read those gauges under the air con controls?
      02-10-2013, 10:16 AM   #7
parrp
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

I couldn't find a comfortable driving position where I could read the gauges. The best bit is I believe they are an optional extra.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2013, 04:25 PM   #8
mowflow
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Golf 7R

Hope they aren't an expensive option.

They summed American cars up quite well on top gear tonight. The engineering just hasn't advanced the way it has with European cars.
      02-10-2013, 05:39 PM   #9
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Huracan Evo & M8 GC

Interesting feedback on this car - I'm renting one in California in 10 weeks

Followed by a Dodge Challenger RT in Hawaii the week after

I rented the Corvette 3 years ago and that was OK actually....quite surprisingly good to drive (on American roads...maybe not so good if it was over here!). Thought I'd try these two for variation as much as anything but I'm expecting both to be quite shit. But thats not the point....it's more for the 'genuine' experience, if you know what I mean (and makes you appreicate what you've got when you get home )
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2013, 06:55 PM   #10
parrp
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmnuts View Post
Interesting feedback on this car - I'm renting one in California in 10 weeks

Followed by a Dodge Challenger RT in Hawaii the week after

I rented the Corvette 3 years ago and that was OK actually....quite surprisingly good to drive (on American roads...maybe not so good if it was over here!). Thought I'd try these two for variation as much as anything but I'm expecting both to be quite shit. But thats not the point....it's more for the 'genuine' experience, if you know what I mean (and makes you appreicate what you've got when you get home )
Couldn't agree more, really did complete the holiday by having the big American muscle car.

Interested to hear about how you get on with the Camaro and in comparison to the dodge.
Appreciate 0