E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > A glut of '07 3 series coming off of lease

09-09-2010, 10:05 AM   #1
iflyjetzzz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

A glut of '07 3 series coming off of lease

I just bought an '08 328i fully loaded; it had every option short of the sport package and paddle shifters - navi, performance pkg, cold wx pkg, automatic (would've preferred manual, but now wife can also drive it), comfort access, parking control, xenon headlights, active steering and cruise, etc.
40K miles; got it for $22950. Still under warranty and I can extend the warranty if I want to (I don't plan on extending it).
I stopped by the BMW dealer in Temple on the way home who gave me a complete service history printout; the car only had a couple of minor repairs (seat rails, cigarette lighter) other than the normal maintenance. It was a nonsmoker car; I tried using the cigarette lighter to charge my phone and it still didn't work. I'm going into the dealer here in San Antonio on Sat to get the cigarette lighter fixed (we're nonsmokers but got a lot of electric gizmos) and the annual oil change.
From the Carfax/Autocheck, it began its life as a dealer car; probably used for test drives and/or loaner in CA. It was then owned by a private owner for a couple of years before being sold at auction. It still has that new leather smell. A few small blemishes on the exterior but nothing that the normal person would notice.
The dealer which bought the car, Budget Car Sales of Dallas, had it sitting on their lot for 2 months. I'm sure that's why I picked it up so cheap. There are a ton of clean 2007 3 series that came off of lease for sale within a 10 mile radius of the place where I bought it.
I'm currently in San Antonio and picked out several very nice lease returns in the Dallas area; I rank ordered a few of them and would've gone on to the next car if I hadn't liked this one.
My #2 choice was a grey/grey 07 BMW 328i with navi, performance, 33K mi for $21900. And there were several others in the same price range.

So if you're looking for a deal on a used BMW, I'd encourage you to go on autotrader and see what '07s are going for. There are a lot of bargains out there in all parts of the country.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 10:59 AM   #2
Schm
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

07 was the first year of the 328/335s. I would like to see a trend graph of the general prices.

Sounds like a good purchase, and maybe I'll see you around T-Town, I go to UofA
      09-09-2010, 12:03 PM   #3
bavarianboar
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 540i, 2020 430i

Quote:
Originally Posted by iflyjetzzz View Post
I just bought an '08 328i fully loaded; it had every option short of the sport package and paddle shifters - navi, performance pkg, cold wx pkg, automatic (would've preferred manual, but now wife can also drive it), comfort access, parking control, xenon headlights, active steering and cruise, etc.
40K miles; got it for $22950. Still under warranty and I can extend the warranty if I want to (I don't plan on extending it).
I stopped by the BMW dealer in Temple on the way home who gave me a complete service history printout; the car only had a couple of minor repairs (seat rails, cigarette lighter) other than the normal maintenance. It was a nonsmoker car; I tried using the cigarette lighter to charge my phone and it still didn't work. I'm going into the dealer here in San Antonio on Sat to get the cigarette lighter fixed (we're nonsmokers but got a lot of electric gizmos) and the annual oil change.
From the Carfax/Autocheck, it began its life as a dealer car; probably used for test drives and/or loaner in CA. It was then owned by a private owner for a couple of years before being sold at auction. It still has that new leather smell. A few small blemishes on the exterior but nothing that the normal person would notice.
The dealer which bought the car, Budget Car Sales of Dallas, had it sitting on their lot for 2 months. I'm sure that's why I picked it up so cheap. There are a ton of clean 2007 3 series that came off of lease for sale within a 10 mile radius of the place where I bought it.
I'm currently in San Antonio and picked out several very nice lease returns in the Dallas area; I rank ordered a few of them and would've gone on to the next car if I hadn't liked this one.
My #2 choice was a grey/grey 07 BMW 328i with navi, performance, 33K mi for $21900. And there were several others in the same price range.

So if you're looking for a deal on a used BMW, I'd encourage you to go on autotrader and see what '07s are going for. There are a lot of bargains out there in all parts of the country.
That isn't a terrific deal IMHO.

I'd buy a CPO instead. 2008 car driven 40k miles in 2 years is kinda high for me.

A friend bought a fully loaded 328i E90 (no nav, pdc, everything else), 2007 CPO for $23100, @36k miles. This was 4 months back, things have changed a lot since then.

I would give CPO cars my first shot, but that's just me. And autotrader is a good start but that's not the best source for looking at the RIGHT prices.

Congrats on the bimmer!

Driving: 2020 540i M-Sport Carbon Black, Ivory Nappa - Dec 2019 BTO - Feb 2020 Delivery
Returned: 2016 535i M-Sport Carbon Black, Ivory Nappa :: 2014 F30 335i M-Sport Min Grey, Coral Red :: 2011 E90 328i Deep Sea Blue, Oyster Dakota
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 06:02 PM   #4
iflyjetzzz
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianboar View Post
That isn't a terrific deal IMHO.

I'd buy a CPO instead. 2008 car driven 40k miles in 2 years is kinda high for me.

A friend bought a fully loaded 328i E90 (no nav, pdc, everything else), 2007 CPO for $23100, @36k miles. This was 4 months back, things have changed a lot since then.

I would give CPO cars my first shot, but that's just me. And autotrader is a good start but that's not the best source for looking at the RIGHT prices.

Congrats on the bimmer!
Yeah, there are cheaper cars out there but they're either stripped or have a shady history. Having spent a couple hundred hours online, I'd like to hear what you'd consider to be a good deal. Here's the last 7 of the VIN; any dealer can tell you what options it has: KX84377.
I searched the entire country and was willing to travel anywhere in the US for the best price on an acceptable car. Navigation was a requirement.

The car was put in service 10/3/07; just a tad under three years ago. 40K miles is in line.

I didn't bother looking for cars w/out nav, so I don't know how cheap I could've gotten one without nav.
As for CPOs, you can search the entire country on BMW's website. The cheapest 2008 under 50K miles is at BMW of Fremont, CA. $22,494, 40.6K mi, automatic, xenon, ipod/USB. That's it. No nav, no stereo upgrade, etc. Doesn't even have full leather.
The next cheapest CPO in the entire country with nav 2007 or newer w/<50K mi is at Prestige Imports in Santa Rosa. 2007, $25,394, 40.4K mi., decently equipped.
You can't find a 2008 CPO w/<50K mi w/Nav for under $29K anywere in the US.

As for the whole CPO thing, I take it you're not aware that I can buy an extended warranty anytime prior to 45 months in service/45K miles.
The platinum plan, covering me to 7 yr/100K mi is $3310. That's a better deal than the 6yr/100K warranty on a CPO, as it would cover me for an additional year and covers a lot of stuff not covered by the CPO warranty (as in all accessories). The CPO warranty is similar to the gold extended plan, which would cost me $2980 but is good for one more year than the CPO. Here's a link: http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...rotection.aspx
Personally, I'd rather bank the money. If for some reason the car starts needing a lot of expensive maintenance, I'll just fix it and sell it.

As for pricing, I looked nationwide extensively on cars.com, ebay, autotrader, and several other places. The best prices were on autotrader; if you've got a source that's better, I'd sure be curious to hear what it is. Please share; I'll use it next time.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 07:40 PM   #5
bavarianboar
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, there are cheaper cars out there but they're either stripped or have a shady history. Having spent a couple hundred hours online, I'd like to hear what you'd consider to be a good deal. Here's the last 7 of the VIN; any dealer can tell you what options it has: KX84377.
I searched the entire country and was willing to travel anywhere in the US for the best price on an acceptable car. Navigation was a requirement.

The car was put in service 10/3/07; just a tad under three years ago. 40K miles is in line.

I didn't bother looking for cars w/out nav, so I don't know how cheap I could've gotten one without nav.
As for CPOs, you can search the entire country on BMW's website. The cheapest 2008 under 50K miles is at BMW of Fremont, CA. $22,494, 40.6K mi, automatic, xenon, ipod/USB. That's it. No nav, no stereo upgrade, etc. Doesn't even have full leather.
The next cheapest CPO in the entire country with nav 2007 or newer w/<50K mi is at Prestige Imports in Santa Rosa. 2007, $25,394, 40.4K mi., decently equipped.
You can't find a 2008 CPO w/<50K mi w/Nav for under $29K anywere in the US.

As for the whole CPO thing, I take it you're not aware that I can buy an extended warranty anytime prior to 45 months in service/45K miles.
The platinum plan, covering me to 7 yr/100K mi is $3310. That's a better deal than the 6yr/100K warranty on a CPO, as it would cover me for an additional year and covers a lot of stuff not covered by the CPO warranty (as in all accessories). The CPO warranty is similar to the gold extended plan, which would cost me $2980 but is good for one more year than the CPO. Here's a link: http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...rotection.aspx
Personally, I'd rather bank the money. If for some reason the car starts needing a lot of expensive maintenance, I'll just fix it and sell it.

As for pricing, I looked nationwide extensively on cars.com, ebay, autotrader, and several other places. The best prices were on autotrader; if you've got a source that's better, I'd sure be curious to hear what it is. Please share; I'll use it next time.
I am surprised how confidently you are telling me to re-think everything I said in my post.

I imagine you just joined the forum? Not to say you are new to BMWs, but your comments do not resonate with anything that some of the more intelligent forum members think is the right way to go about the whole car buying/leasing/financing/CPOing/extending warranty is concerned. (I am not an expert but have definitely picked up some wisdom from this forum with some voluntary involvement)

To highlight some things you said.

Not every CPO car is listed on BMWUSA.com. The market in some states is very dynamic, and 'sometimes' the cars never even stay on the dealer's website for more than a couple of days. I believe dealers have to pay something to get their used (and/or CPO) cars listed on Autotrader, and they may not do so for every car they have.

Extended warranty is NOT same, equivalent and/or replacement to CPO. There are differences. I cannot answer questions specifically. If you are okay with limited warranty that is perfectly fine, lot of people drive their bimmers without warranty. Some people see a lot of worth in buying a CPO instead of purchasing add on Warranty.

Autotrader gives you prices posted by dealers, they are not fair prices. Google 'Galves Trade-in' and 'Manheim'. This is what dealers use. If you feel like exploring more, search for posts by TJDiCandido on this very forum, and you will know what I am referring to as a fair price calculation, which is not listed anywhere on the internet on any website.

Although I am looking forward to getting a new bimmer, I have helped a friend buy a used one, and done search and negotiations with dealers for him. Not a few, we visited 11 dealers in SoCal. I speak from some experience, though not being any sort of expert.

Enjoy your car, and share some pictures with us.

Driving: 2020 540i M-Sport Carbon Black, Ivory Nappa - Dec 2019 BTO - Feb 2020 Delivery
Returned: 2016 535i M-Sport Carbon Black, Ivory Nappa :: 2014 F30 335i M-Sport Min Grey, Coral Red :: 2011 E90 328i Deep Sea Blue, Oyster Dakota
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 10:39 PM   #6
iflyjetzzz
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I am surprised how confidently you are telling me to re-think everything I said in my post.
Dude, you wrote a condescending post; what were you expecting? "Uh, gee, thanks for telling me that I paid too much for my car."

Quote:
I imagine you just joined the forum?
My join date is visible; just as yours is Mar 10.

Quote:
Not to say you are new to BMWs, but your comments do not resonate with anything that some of the more intelligent forum members think is the right way to go about the whole car buying/leasing/financing/CPOing/extending warranty is concerned.
LOL! Do you care to be a bit more explicit? If you're going to insult someone, at least provide specifics.

Quote:
Not every CPO car is listed on BMWUSA.com. The market in some states is very dynamic, and 'sometimes' the cars never even stay on the dealer's website for more than a couple of days. I believe dealers have to pay something to get their used (and/or CPO) cars listed on Autotrader, and they may not do so for every car they have.
So you're implying that dealers in your area are not listing their cheaper/better deal CPOs? I've always found the opposite - that the less expensive/better deals are advertised, not the more expensive ones.
As for dynamic inventories on dealer lots, that goes without saying.
Yes, there is a cost associated with listing on Autotrader, just as there's a cost associated with any advertising.

That's a funny reaction on your part when confronted with actual prices.

Quote:
Extended warranty is NOT same, equivalent and/or replacement to CPO. There are differences. I cannot answer questions specifically. If you are okay with limited warranty that is perfectly fine, lot of people drive their bimmers without warranty. Some people see a lot of worth in buying a CPO instead of purchasing add on Warranty.
No, the CPO warranty is identical to the 6/100 gold extended warranty - zero difference. The brochures for both the CPO and extended warranties are on the website. Everything is spelled out. You will find that the CPO warranty is virtually identical to the gold extended warranty, except that you have more options in terms of time and mileage than the CPO. The extended warranty allows you to go: 5/100, 6/100, 7/70, and 7/100. You can also go with powertrain plus, gold, or platinum levels - the CPO warranty is a carbon copy of the gold level.
Please take the time to read both warranties; if you find something inferior on the extended warranty, please post the specifics and I will retract my statement.
It's not like the dealer sprinkles fairy dust on CPOs to magically make them better than other used cars. Granted, they're not going to take ragged out problem cars and make them CPOs. CPO is marketing gimmick.

Quote:
Autotrader gives you prices posted by dealers, they are not fair prices. Google 'Galves Trade-in' and 'Manheim'.
I wasn't familiar with Galves; it appears to a subscription service for auto dealers. A wholesale price list at that. Not retail.
I am familiar with Manheim; they're an auction house for licensed auto dealers - not for retail buyers. Besides, I wouldn't buy a car at auction as a retail buyer - I want to be able to do a test drive and prepurchase inspection.
I'm a retail buyer, as are most of the public so we're not usually going to get wholesale prices.

Can you define a 'fair price'? If a dealer is doing a distress sale to dump some of their used cars and lists them on Autotrader, are those not fair prices?

Quote:
Although I am looking forward to getting a new bimmer, I have helped a friend buy a used one, and done search and negotiations with dealers for him. Not a few, we visited 11 dealers in SoCal. I speak from some experience, though not being any sort of expert.
Nothing personal, but that's not very much experience. Why do I have the feeling that I was shopping for and buying cars before you were out of diapers?

You stated in your first post that I didn't get a 'terrific deal' on my car. I asked you what a good deal would have been; please answer the question.
I'd like to hear some concrete answers from you rather than all of the generalisms.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2010, 11:45 AM   #7
bavarianboar
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Dude, you wrote a condescending post; what were you expecting? "Uh, gee, thanks for telling me that I paid too much for my car."

My join date is visible; just as yours is Mar 10.

LOL! Do you care to be a bit more explicit? If you're going to insult someone, at least provide specifics.

So you're implying that dealers in your area are not listing their cheaper/better deal CPOs? I've always found the opposite - that the less expensive/better deals are advertised, not the more expensive ones.
As for dynamic inventories on dealer lots, that goes without saying.
Yes, there is a cost associated with listing on Autotrader, just as there's a cost associated with any advertising.

That's a funny reaction on your part when confronted with actual prices.

No, the CPO warranty is identical to the 6/100 gold extended warranty - zero difference. The brochures for both the CPO and extended warranties are on the website. Everything is spelled out. You will find that the CPO warranty is virtually identical to the gold extended warranty, except that you have more options in terms of time and mileage than the CPO. The extended warranty allows you to go: 5/100, 6/100, 7/70, and 7/100. You can also go with powertrain plus, gold, or platinum levels - the CPO warranty is a carbon copy of the gold level.
Please take the time to read both warranties; if you find something inferior on the extended warranty, please post the specifics and I will retract my statement.
It's not like the dealer sprinkles fairy dust on CPOs to magically make them better than other used cars. Granted, they're not going to take ragged out problem cars and make them CPOs. CPO is marketing gimmick.

I wasn't familiar with Galves; it appears to a subscription service for auto dealers. A wholesale price list at that. Not retail.
I am familiar with Manheim; they're an auction house for licensed auto dealers - not for retail buyers. Besides, I wouldn't buy a car at auction as a retail buyer - I want to be able to do a test drive and prepurchase inspection.
I'm a retail buyer, as are most of the public so we're not usually going to get wholesale prices.

Can you define a 'fair price'? If a dealer is doing a distress sale to dump some of their used cars and lists them on Autotrader, are those not fair prices?

Nothing personal, but that's not very much experience. Why do I have the feeling that I was shopping for and buying cars before you were out of diapers?

You stated in your first post that I didn't get a 'terrific deal' on my car. I asked you what a good deal would have been; please answer the question.
I'd like to hear some concrete answers from you rather than all of the generalisms.
People end up paying more and this is pointed out here on the forum by some other members quite often. This is not taken as insult. They don't start bashing around the poster who pointed out, that they 'may' have done better on the deal.

I was amazed how Autotrader was glorified in your post so much. If you would like to know starting from Autotrader prices, I have had dealers come down by a $1000 when I called them up through a referral, and knocked another $500-$1000 when I visited to look at the car and test drive. You need proof? I don't have any, but this is the norm, it happens more often than not. In some special cases, I have seen dealers coming down by nearly $3000 from the Autotrader posted price. I don't have pictures and contract papers to show you. About Galves and Manheim, there was a bit more from there, afa coming to a 'fair' price is concerned. FAIR price varies vehicle to vehicle, region to region, dealer to dealer.

If being twice the age makes someone a much more experienced buyer, and up to date, with all the recent market developments, many forum members here would just stop posting and reading. You don't even know for how long I have been shopping around cars, though I am new to BMWs. Thanks for taking me back in time. I never commented anything about your car buying experience, the only thing pointed out was what people say on this forum and how much of wise info you could likely have from here, being possibly here for only a few weeks.

I don't see a reason to give specific answers and point out other members who say the same. Forums are not meant for personal finger pointing and attacks. I don't have the patience to write long posts addressing every point. I don't think it is worth my time putting specific/interesting posts on this very thread for someone's reading pleasure.

With all due respect, you have bought your car, enjoy it. Nobody wants to believe they could have got a better deal, or maybe there was room for improvement.

I don't intend to respond further in this posts. I think this thread is very close to being red lined by the mods.

Thanks and have a great day!

Appreciate 0
      09-10-2010, 01:42 PM   #8
iflyjetzzz
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I don't see a reason to give specific answers ...
That's what I expected from you.

The price I paid was the KBB and NADA trade in price. Not retail, not private party.
Galves is a wholesale list; it doesn't give credit for many options. I had no desire to buy a stripped car and I don't place nearly as much value on a stripped car as I do a fully equipped car, even though Galves sees them as having the same value.
Appreciate 0