E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Solid rear subframe bushings DIY-able?

12-26-2015, 09:52 AM   #1
shirtpants_
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 335i

Solid rear subframe bushings DIY-able?

I'm going to be putting in new subframe bushings inside of the next month or so. From what i've seen, solid aluminum or delrin w/ aluminum inner sleeves don't really increase NVH, so I'd like to go with those.

Only problem is, the few installs i've read about say it's a huge pita to install the solids. I remember some guy saying his mechanic had to use a press that amounted to 20 tons of force...

I'm only looking to lower the subframe, not remove it completely, and I'm definitely not interested in sending the work to my mechanic, and paying him for 6 hours labor to get it done.

Are solid rear subframe bushings DIY-able? Which one would be an easier install, solid aluminum or delrin with aluminum sleeves?
Or should i just stick with the m3 bushings, which I can for sure do by myself?
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2015, 06:38 PM   #2
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 130i coupé ;)

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
I assume solid aluminum this will be much more difficult to DIY than some All Derlin (AKG) or Derlin with Alu middle inserts (Turner motorsports).

"The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving." - R&T 2013 135is
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2015, 08:23 PM   #3
Griff500
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i

I installed Turner aluminium bushes but the subframe was out of the car

I made a very heavy duty puller and used a Makita 18v LXT DTW450 impact wrench but it was still a real pig of a job, I wouldn't have wanted to do it under a car!

I'd recommend the delrin bushes with the aluminium insert, they're probably not as difficult to install with similar results.

Appreciate 0
      12-26-2015, 09:38 PM   #4
shirtpants_
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff500 View Post
I installed Turner aluminium bushes but the subframe was out of the car

I made a very heavy duty puller and used a Makita 18v LXT DTW450 impact wrench but it was still a real pig of a job, I wouldn't have wanted to do it under a car!

I'd recommend the delrin bushes with the aluminium insert, they're probably not as difficult to install with similar results.
Thanks, I was afraid that was the route i'd have to go. Oh well, ill take a bushing that's $200 more expensive that i'm capable of DIY-ing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrey_gta View Post
I assume solid aluminum this will be much more difficult to DIY than some All Derlin (AKG) or Derlin with Alu middle inserts (Turner motorsports).
Yep, Turners delrin ones w/ the alum sleeves are probably what ill end up going with, should be a little easier to squeeze those into the subframe.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2015, 11:42 AM   #5
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirtpants_ View Post
Yep, Turners delrin ones w/ the alum sleeves are probably what ill end up going with, should be a little easier to squeeze those into the subframe.
If you have the tools and the know how to remove the existing bushing then you can insert any other replacement bushing, regardless whether is a solid aluminum or derlin with aluminum sleeves.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2015, 12:27 PM   #6
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer
Quote:
Originally Posted by shirtpants_ View Post
If you have the tools and the know how to remove the existing bushing then you can insert any other replacement bushing, regardless whether is a solid aluminum or derlin with aluminum sleeves.
Can someone recommend a great tool that does not cost you an arm and a leg and make you wish you had just taken the car into a suspension/ front end shop to begin with....

The DIYs I have seen are one where someone had made a tool. I am not interested in making a tool to be honest.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2016, 07:38 AM   #7
_Ryan_
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E87 130i

Garage List
2005 BMW 130i  [5.24]
For the first time in around ten years, I aborted a mission on the car- we had tools, made tools etc, but still had issues getting them to go in straight.
My subframe was in the car.

My suggestion- if you can't afford to take it to a pro, find a two piece poly bush and rent the tool from HPA.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2016, 12:01 PM   #8
CALWATERBOY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
Can someone recommend a great tool that does not cost you an arm and a leg and make you wish you had just taken the car into a suspension/ front end shop to begin with....

The DIYs I have seen are one where someone had made a tool. I am not interested in making a tool to be honest.

[click here]

Made M3 bushings easy if somewhat tedious. It's not a hard job and very DIY-able. But....solid bushings may require too much force w/o subframe removal, and above tool may not be sturdy enough for that.

Why bother with solid bushings? M3 units solve the problem and are OEM....
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2016, 12:06 PM   #9
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
Can someone recommend a great tool that does not cost you an arm and a leg.
We use this at the shop:http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E60-E61-...563472&vxp=mtr
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2016, 02:01 PM   #10
CALWATERBOY
Major
Rep

Quote:

Missing: Thrust Bearing, Ball

Job's much easier with that bad boy - on threaded rod, end where nut turns.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2016, 03:46 PM   #11
avocet
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i 2011 X5d

I would think throwing the solid bushings in the deep freeze for a day then using a heat gun to warm the subframe would help with install...
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 02:27 PM   #12
shirtpants_
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Well guys, the general consensus seems to be that solid bushings are a PITA, even for shops to do. Two piece poly or OEM m3 bushings seem to be the most DIY friendly...
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 05:58 PM   #13
Griff500
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
Missing: Thrust Bearing, Ball

Job's much easier with that bad boy - on threaded rod, end where nut turns.
Turned up with bits and bobs I had around me - I didn't have a suitable bearing (that could have caused more grief than it solved) laying around. Plus it did the job!

FYI, the M3 bush goes a long way to solve the issue but doesn't do the job completely - hence why all current M cars are solid mounted.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 06:13 PM   #14
CALWATERBOY
Major
Rep

Quote:
Turned up with bits and bobs I had around me - I didn't have a suitable bearing (that could have caused more grief than it solved) laying around. Plus it did the job!

FYI, the M3 bush goes a long way to solve the issue but doesn't do the job completely - hence why all current M cars are solid mounted.

Well that's true, but having had air fill bushings, going to M3 did what I need for public travel. Don't track! For reasons best let lay, they don't like convertibles.

But....many other issues to address. Really what's doin' with solid bushings is the last 1/10th of one situation among many IMHO - I don't recommend going to the trouble. Instead, install LSD - if ya got that install camber arms & plates - if ya got that.....

Ya'll be smilin' alot.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 07:07 PM   #15
Griff500
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
Well that's true, but having had air fill bushings, going to M3 did what I need for public travel. Don't track! For reasons best let lay, they don't like convertibles.

But....many other issues to address. Really what's doin' with solid bushings is the last 1/10th of one situation among many IMHO - I don't recommend going to the trouble. Instead, install LSD - if ya got that install camber arms & plates - if ya got that.....

Ya'll be smilin' alot.
Agreed; this wasn't a priority mod for me (done all the other stuff).
Although a nice improvement with no downsides other than the installation pain
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2016, 07:41 AM   #16
Jaronbwall
Driving cars and riding bikes really fast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

There was a good write up in the DIY section to install subframe bushings. I think you need a 4.5'' hole saw bit and a couple other large tools. If I remember the bushings get pulled up and into the space provide by the hole saw.
This is a difficult install so don't be fooled, as difficult or more than downpipe installs.
Worse case go Whiteline subframe inserts
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2016, 03:39 PM   #17
shirtpants_
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarronbwall View Post
There was a good write up in the DIY section to install subframe bushings. I think you need a 4.5'' hole saw bit and a couple other large tools. If I remember the bushings get pulled up and into the space provide by the hole saw.
This is a difficult install so don't be fooled, as difficult or more than downpipe installs.
I think I remember reading that... I remember something about him using a blowtorch? Not sure if i'm prepared for that...
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2016, 08:30 AM   #18
_Ryan_
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E87 130i

Garage List
2005 BMW 130i  [5.24]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarronbwall View Post
I already have the inserts and was going to Alu.- whilst using the correct tools to draw it up. It's a bitch of a job, explains why there are so many two piece poly bushes out there!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2016, 11:03 AM   #19
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: around the potholes

Quote:
Originally Posted by avocet View Post
I would think throwing the solid bushings in the deep freeze for a day then using a heat gun to warm the subframe would help with install...
If you have access to liquid nitrogen or dry ice, try that instead. They made my life a lot easier to replace the some tight fitting parts.

Freezer probably won't be cold enough to make a difference.
Appreciate 0