E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > VRSF Downpipes installed BUT...

06-06-2013, 08:50 PM   #1
dearwinter
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

VRSF Downpipes installed BUT...

Ok so I finally got my long awaited VRSF downpipes installed today and I'm already anxious to break them in. Already I've noticed the sound sort of settle into a deep throatier note just in the past few drives. It sounds great! At the same time, I realize my tune is probably also adapting.

Now what I did not expect probably comes more from the install and not the DPs. But it seems that my steering wheel has become a lot tighter now. There's a very audible sound that come from turning the wheel a quarter to half of the way. I noticed it pulling into a parking space. It sounds like someone is rubbing a balloon very obnoxiously. Anyone know what this might be from? Why would my steering wheel be affected from a downpipe install??
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 08:53 PM   #2
135Hoser
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: '16 m4 zcp

On my 135i, we had to move the steering rack to install the downpipes.

I'm guessing they moved your rack, but it didn't quite go back together properly. Go talk to the shop who did the install.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 09:14 PM   #3
dearwinter
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Hoser View Post
On my 135i, we had to move the steering rack to install the downpipes.

I'm guessing they moved your rack, but it didn't quite go back together properly. Go talk to the shop who did the install.

Thanks! That's a great suggestion, sounds like that could be the culprit. I hope it doesn't cause any damage til I can get it to them.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 09:37 PM   #4
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

Yep, you unbolt the rack from the subframe to get clearance, hard to screw up putting it back as there is no adjustment, so get it checked ASAP as the only real option is they didn't tighten the bolts or didn't put them back in at all!
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2013, 07:19 PM   #5
dearwinter
Private
Rep

Alright so just to close the loop on this one, the shop apparently did not remove the steering rack for the install which I thought was necessary. The heatshield seemed to be the cause of the problem and once pryed back a bit, it relieved some of the tension - I suppose from the steering rack...In any case, my steering is back to normal and the sound is gone!

Thanks for the help!
Appreciate 1
      06-08-2013, 07:47 PM   #6
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

Good news although from doing the install myself, it is all but impossible to do the install without taking the steering rack bolts out and moving the rack a bit - they don't take the rack out, but they do have to move it a couple inches.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2013, 09:58 PM   #7
Red_Bean_Bun
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92

Get it checked ....... Never feel comfortable about anything steering related ....
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2013, 10:10 PM   #8
black335i
Captain
Rep
Drives: M 4

Mostlikely Under Or Over Tightened Bushing.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2013, 11:03 PM   #9
dearwinter
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkillrob View Post
Good news although from doing the install myself, it is all but impossible to do the install without taking the steering rack bolts out and moving the rack a bit - they don't take the rack out, but they do have to move it a couple inches.
Maybe that's what they meant then. Possibly shifted but not removed.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2013, 09:02 AM   #10
TexasToast
Private
Rep
Drives: '10 335i

same thing happened with my VRSF install. Emailed Tiago, and he suggested a few things. Note, I also had a strong vibration. He suggests there be a 1/4" distance between the DP's and subframe. I had to adjust the midpipes slightly, and then turn the DP's to create enough of a gap. Further, the wastegate actuator can generate a "rattle" if you don't make sure the vband clamp is spun around to ensure proper clearance.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2013, 02:41 PM   #11
dearwinter
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasToast View Post
same thing happened with my VRSF install. Emailed Tiago, and he suggested a few things. Note, I also had a strong vibration. He suggests there be a 1/4" distance between the DP's and subframe. I had to adjust the midpipes slightly, and then turn the DP's to create enough of a gap. Further, the wastegate actuator can generate a "rattle" if you don't make sure the vband clamp is spun around to ensure proper clearance.
i think i'm experiencing a bit of the rattle! but only when i fire it up, more audible on cold starts. with each day its gotten better but i don't know if the problem will return and persist as i've only had the dps on less than a week. there is a moment where i hear the rattle on acceleration but it is very feint and slight lasting only a half second and disappears almost instantly. you'd have to listen for it to really hear it, still even that bugs me as i know how to recreate the sound.

also, my service engine light came on several miles after the dp install which i understand is typical. i plan to take it to another shop to have the codes read and fixed.

in general the car really hauls but i'm wondering if the initial rattle on start up could potentially mean that i may have some sort of boost leak through the wastegate. btw, do you think the vband clamp may be a solution to rid the sound? any thoughts are appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2013, 04:11 PM   #12
jaykayelemenohpee
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dearwinter View Post
i think i'm experiencing a bit of the rattle! but only when i fire it up, more audible on cold starts. with each day its gotten better but i don't know if the problem will return and persist as i've only had the dps on less than a week. there is a moment where i hear the rattle on acceleration but it is very feint and slight lasting only a half second and disappears almost instantly. you'd have to listen for it to really hear it, still even that bugs me as i know how to recreate the sound.

also, my service engine light came on several miles after the dp install which i understand is typical. i plan to take it to another shop to have the codes read and fixed.

in general the car really hauls but i'm wondering if the initial rattle on start up could potentially mean that i may have some sort of boost leak through the wastegate. btw, do you think the vband clamp may be a solution to rid the sound? any thoughts are appreciated.
Sounds like its just waste gate rattle which isnt any big deal and is just more audible once you remove the cats. As for the code unless you're running autoclear on one of the piggybacks or stage2 on cobb the SES light will pop up due to not having cats.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2013, 04:27 PM   #13
The Ghost
Reborn
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

I had the same problem with these pipes. The root cause is they sit too close to the passenger side subframe.

You'll need to re-adjust so they have more clearance. I went so far as putting a big screwdriver between them and the frame before I tightened them, only removing it once all of the exhaust was back together.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2013, 04:28 PM   #14
dearwinter
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykayelemenohpee View Post
Sounds like its just waste gate rattle which isnt any big deal and is just more audible once you remove the cats. As for the code unless you're running autoclear on one of the piggybacks or stage2 on cobb the SES light will pop up due to not having cats.
Jay, that's kind of what I figured and was expecting. I'm running a JB4 and should be able to autoclear the codes but wanted to have a shop check it out in the event that I'm masking a any serious issues.

Do you know if there's a way to at least reduce the rattle?? It's definitely more pronounced since the dp install. Sometimes it's hit or miss in terms of how audible it is. A few minutes ago I started it up and it was almost damn right embarrassing. I actually had a friend notice and ask why my car sounded different more recently, and not in a good way.

Texas noted the vband clamp and clearance which I may have the shop look into. In any case, I hope to have the issue resolved this week.

JB4 | DCI | ETS CP | Synapse BOV | M-Aero Lip | M3 Side Skirts | M-Tech Rear | Quad Diffuser | Quad Tips | Matte Trim | LC818
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2013, 04:38 PM   #15
dearwinter
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ghost View Post
I had the same problem with these pipes. The root cause is they sit too close to the passenger side subframe.

You'll need to re-adjust so they have more clearance. I went so far as putting a big screwdriver between them and the frame before I tightened them, only removing it once all of the exhaust was back together.
So the repositioning of the pipes made the rattling disappear? It seems there's the rattling at idle which disappears after 30 seconds or so. Then there's a very very mild rattle which I hear when driving and mainly at very low rpms (like when going over a speed bump). When the shop pinpoints the problem this week, I'll report back.

JB4 | DCI | ETS CP | Synapse BOV | M-Aero Lip | M3 Side Skirts | M-Tech Rear | Quad Diffuser | Quad Tips | Matte Trim | LC818
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2013, 04:50 PM   #16
melenkae90
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 e90

Get the front of the car jacked up on stands or ramps then start car, us some welding gloves cause they are hot and hold one Downpipe pushing in one direction then see if noise stops, if not try pulling in other direction and see, then still if noise is there try same thing on second Downpipe. That's how I found my rattle then reposition that pipe all done!! More then likely it will be the passenger side pipe rattling on sub frame(mine was just touching the heat sheild) . Pretty tight in there!!
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2013, 05:14 PM   #17
dearwinter
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by melenkae90 View Post
Get the front of the car jacked up on stands or ramps then start car, us some welding gloves cause they are hot and hold one Downpipe pushing in one direction then see if noise stops, if not try pulling in other direction and see, then still if noise is there try same thing on second Downpipe. That's how I found my rattle then reposition that pipe all done!! More then likely it will be the passenger side pipe rattling on sub frame(mine was just touching the heat sheild) . Pretty tight in there!!
That's a great suggestion and seems easy enough. I feel a little more confident now in being able to tackle the problem. You guys are a wealth of knowledge, thank you.

Appreciate 0
      06-09-2013, 05:54 PM   #18
melenkae90
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 e90

Quote:
That's a great suggestion and seems easy enough. I feel a little more confident now in being able to tackle the problem. You guys are a wealth of knowledge, thank you.
No problem man thats why these forums exist
One more thing if it is hitting the heat shield just take a flat head screw driver and a hammer and just tap the shield where its touching the down pipe to give you some clearance. Thats all i had to do on mine fixed the rattle in 5 minutes!!lol
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2013, 06:24 PM   #19
dearwinter
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by melenkae90 View Post
No problem man thats why these forums exist
One more thing if it is hitting the heat shield just take a flat head screw driver and a hammer and just tap the shield where its touching the down pipe to give you some clearance. Thats all i had to do on mine fixed the rattle in 5 minutes!!lol
Nice! Thanks again

Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 10:34 AM   #20
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
If you're installing a new set of our V2 pipes, there should be at least 3/4" of clearance on the sub frame and over 1.5" from the transmission unless the pipes weren't clocked appropriately.

I've correct an install where the person is describing similar issues to yours where the mechanic pulled the heatshield down into the passenger side steering boot and neglected to put it back up, so every time that moved laterally there was an odd metal on rubber scraping sound.

Last edited by Tiago@VRSF; 06-12-2013 at 10:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 12:51 PM   #21
dearwinter
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiago@VRSF View Post
If you're installing a new set of our V2 pipes, there should be at least 3/4" of clearance on the sub frame and over 1.5" from the transmission unless the pipes weren't clocked appropriately.

I've correct an install where the person is describing similar issues to yours where the mechanic pulled the heatshield down into the passenger side steering boot and neglected to put it back up, so every time that moved laterally there was an odd metal on rubber scraping sound.
Tiago, thank you! Yes, they are the more recent v2 pipes. I'm going to provide this info to the shop. I believe they may not have been aware of the specific amount of clearance needed for these pipes. Was the sound completely dismissed after the install? I mean, I expect a rasp from catless but not the rattle.

Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 01:23 PM   #22
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
Quote:
Tiago, thank you! Yes, they are the more recent v2 pipes. I'm going to provide this info to the shop. I believe they may not have been aware of the specific amount of clearance needed for these pipes. Was the sound completely dismissed after the install? I mean, I expect a rasp from catless but not the rattle.
It's not the clearance involved with these particular pipes, it's any 3" pipes really. V-band connections allow for quite a bit of movement vs a fixed conventional 2 bolt connection.

The wastegate rattle is common on all N54's if you're talking about the rattle at idle/low rpms/deceleration. The OEM downpipes are dual walled and the cats do a great job of dampening the sound.
Appreciate 0