E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Any chance of a Turner Shark type device for 335i?

02-21-2007, 06:37 PM   #1
JayL-F1
Rep
Drives: Audi A4

Any chance of a Turner Shark type device for 335i?

from any company?
Can the ecu not be flashed or any other reason why we can't just chip the 335i.

The shark is nice the way you can switch back to stock without removing/adding anything...
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2007, 01:11 AM   #2
DrM
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Montego Blue E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayL-F1 View Post
from any company?
Can the ecu not be flashed or any other reason why we can't just chip the 335i.

The shark is nice the way you can switch back to stock without removing/adding anything...
The BMW ECU can supposedly tell if it has been flashed. Few people outside BMW know if that is really the case. However, if BMW service detects that your ECU has been reflashed, they would most likely void your power train warranty. Many auto manufacturers actually encrypt the ECU memory to prevent reflashing.

An advantage of the PROcede is that it modifies the input signals to the stock ECU. The stock ECU thinks that things are normal because the PROcede adjusts the signals while keeping them within what the ECU thinks are normal ranges.

Many people on the forum are attempting to modify their cars, without letting BMW know so that they retain their factory warranty. (As unethical as that may be...)

If you were concerned only about performance you could probably obtain better results using an aftermarket system or a reflash.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2007, 10:08 AM   #3
DIRKD
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335 sedan

OOOPS. Please excuse my two extra posts. HAHA. I screwed up when I tried to post the link.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2007, 10:08 AM   #4
DIRKD
First Lieutenant
Rep

Just adding to my post count. I'm kidding, your answer is on the next post.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2007, 10:11 AM   #5
DIRKD
First Lieutenant
Rep

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47604
At least you got to look at my avatar 3x
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2007, 11:48 AM   #6
JayL-F1
Rep

the subaru and Audi tuners recode the flash counter...
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2007, 01:15 PM   #7
DrDomer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330ci ZHP, 1999 Miata

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrM View Post

Many people on the forum are attempting to modify their cars, without letting BMW know so that they retain their factory warranty. (As unethical as that may be...)

Good luck!
Of course this is open for debate. My salesman seems to have no problem with it. :rocks: Of course we won't let the service manager in on my secret. I guess I have ethics issues.
      02-22-2007, 05:43 PM   #8
JayL-F1
Rep

DrM: first off don't try to judge, lest ye be judged lol...I want it so I can do a drag or autocross event then go back to legal street driving and smog passing....
It is illegal in CA to mod any car without a CARB approval so procede is illegal to drive on the street, without talking warranty , if you want to talk ethics......
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2007, 10:36 PM   #9
DrM
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Montego Blue E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayL-F1 View Post
DrM: first off don't try to judge, lest ye be judged lol...I want it so I can do a drag or autocross event then go back to legal street driving and smog passing....
It is illegal in CA to mod any car without a CARB approval so procede is illegal to drive on the street, without talking warranty , if you want to talk ethics......
LOL...I am not trying to be judgmental. I was simply explaining (to someone that I thought was new) what I believe is a big reason that many people want an undetectable device: to protect their factory warranty. (another reason, of course, is to protect those of you who also have to worry about the smog check implications.)

If BMW told everyone that you are welcome to install the PROcede and the installation will have no effect on your warranty, I believe that many people wouldn't be as concerned about the device's detectability. This view is supported by the large number of people wanting a mod from Dinan so that they get the Dinan warranty.

How many of you would purchase the PROcede if Shiv sent your car's serial number to BMW with a note explaining that the PROcede was installed when you purchased the PROcede from him? I suspect not very many. Most people wouldn't be willing to accept the risk of BMW voiding their warranty.

As to the unethical comment, in my opinion people attempting to hide the installation of the PROcede from a dealer in order to protect their warranty is unethical. People removing the PROcede before taking their car in for repair pretty well establishes that matter If people didn't think that it was wrong or that it wouldn't cause problems, they wouldn't try to hide the fact that they had it installed from the service department.

I understand why people would hide the installation of the PROcede. Being personally responsible for new engines and repairs on a BMW because of a voided warranty could get very expensive. Many people will also claim that there is no way to prove that the PROcede caused the damage or that the damage might have resulted anyway. While that may be justification for some people, it doesn't make hiding the installation any less unethical.

There are companies (for example, Mitsubishi with the autocrossing Evo's issue...) that look for excuses to void your warranty in order to avoid paying for a repair. That is ALSO unethical. If they can't prove that your modification caused the damage, then they should darn well honor their warranty (which many of the companies don't do...) I know this first hand because Honda refused to fix my transmission in my S2000, supposedly because I had autocrossed the car a few times. Even though I had complained about the problem starting at 500 miles, long before I ever autocrossed it. Honda even issued a TSB saying that second gear grinding when you shift is normal operating behavior.

Again, I am not judging or blaming. Hell, I might even install a PROcede myself. My point is that cranking up the boost, blowing the engine or other drivetrain item, then claiming that you DIDN'T crank up the boost in order to get BMW to pay for the repair, is unethical (even though some people do things like that all the time). (From listening to Shiv and the discussions here, the increases in the PROcede hopefully won't cause much additional repairs)

We all pay for those types of actions through higher prices. People modding their car and breaking it should pay for the damage, not try to mislead the dealer into fixing it. Many (most?) people on this forum do "pay to play". To those people
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2007, 11:28 AM   #10
JayL-F1
Rep

Agreed. I know Audi dealers are much harder to convince to do warranty work because of all the chips...
Appreciate 0