E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Goodwill from BMW UK?

04-12-2011, 11:34 AM   #1
SixDegrees
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M135i

Garage List
2011 Abarth 500  [0.00]
Goodwill from BMW UK?

So, I posted a in another thread about how my 320D MSport - 27k on the clock, just over 3 years old - suddenly died last Wed.

As the car is out of warranty I'm going to approach BMW, via dealer, to see if there is a chance of some 'goodwill' on their part given the cars low mileage and what has transpired now that the car has been seen by BMW

Well, turns out I have a water leak somewhere which has, over time, filled the battery well with water as there is a tide mark around the well/battery. This has meant a very damp compartment for the battery which coroded a cable and fried the ECU (DDE). So, I need approx £1800 - £2000* of parts and labour to fix.

Given the low mileage, full main dealer BMWSH and the fact that this issue would most definitely have started when the car was under warranty I think BMW are liable to rectify it.

Has anyone else approach BMW for goodwill towards costs and any advice?

Thanks

Full Diagnostic
Water ingress Test
New DDE + fitting + programming
New battery and cable + fitting and 'registering' with the car
Lots of labour and a big dollop of VAT!
And the £80 I paid for a flat-bed recovery to the dealer.
2007 [57] 320d M-Sport Touring
Pre 2007 - GT TDI 4MO, Mk4 R32, A3 TQ, A3T, Cupra R and on and on and on.....
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 11:43 AM   #2
edowen
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 330i, 991 GTS, Cayenne S D

Worth a shot - what caused the leak - failed seal?

Previous loyalty and full BMW service history will help.

Did you buy it new? This will help too.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 11:51 AM   #3
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixDegrees View Post
Given the low mileage, full main dealer BMWSH and the fact that this issue would most definitely have started when the car was under warranty I think BMW are liable to rectify it.

Has anyone else approach BMW for goodwill towards costs and any advice?

Thanks
You have a very good case for a goodwill gesture from BMW.

What will help even more is if this has happened to other cars, is your problem a common one?

A lot will depend on how good a relationship you have with your dealer.
If he knows your likely to return on a regular basis for all your servicing work + buy the next car from him, the more he'll stick his neck out for you.
I'd prepare a reasoned speech (ranting will NOT get you anywhere) outlining why in your opinion a goodwill gesture is more than appropriate under your circumstances and see how the dealer responds,an approach from the dealer to BMW UK on your behalf will hold more water than an approach by you directly.

Good luck, the above worked for me on a BMW Mini
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 01:02 PM   #4
SixDegrees
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M135i

Garage List
2011 Abarth 500  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcoupe View Post
You have a very good case for a goodwill gesture from BMW.

What will help even more is if this has happened to other cars, is your problem a common one?

A lot will depend on how good a relationship you have with your dealer.
If he knows your likely to return on a regular basis for all your servicing work + buy the next car from him, the more he'll stick his neck out for you.
I'd prepare a reasoned speech (ranting will NOT get you anywhere) outlining why in your opinion a goodwill gesture is more than appropriate under your circumstances and see how the dealer responds,an approach from the dealer to BMW UK on your behalf will hold more water than an approach by you directly.

Good luck, the above worked for me on a BMW Mini
No pun intended I guess )

Thanks for the advice. car was 10 month old when I bought it. 1st BMW and so don't really have a relationship with them. I usually take my car to Menzies in Stirling for servicing, etc but this is the new 'Luxury Car Village' at Newbridge in Edinburgh at their BMW dealership, as it was the closest and quickest for the pick-up.

I intend to go visit the dealership tomorrow and see how its going and get a final cost. I've already expressed my concerns about the low mileage/extent of the issue and so will raise it with them tomorrow and see what help they might be able to provide.

Oh, and yes full BMW service history, bought from main BMW dealers and 1st MOT back in OCT as well. Car has only ever seen BMW techs.
2007 [57] 320d M-Sport Touring
Pre 2007 - GT TDI 4MO, Mk4 R32, A3 TQ, A3T, Cupra R and on and on and on.....
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 02:27 PM   #5
G_M_S
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E91 330D

Good luck, friend of mine managed to get Menzies to push through a good will claim for him (central locking antenna on an E61 - just 2 months out of warranty, failed because of a water leak) on the basis that they'd seen the car under warranty and obviously the problem started whilst the car was under warranty - took some pushing to get Menzies to make the call mind you..!
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 08:34 AM   #6
Sir_Pigley
Captain
Rep
Drives: 640d GC / 420i XDrive

Garage List
I would think you'll have no problem getting a goodwill contribution. The fault has probably been there for a while and probably existed whilst within warranty.

Also the car is low miles and only just out of warranty.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 10:03 AM   #7
davyk31
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS :-) & F40 M135i

I wouldn't leave it all up to the dealer, by all means let them try first but if the result isn't as good as you expected then ring BMW UK yourself. YOu may also have to ask to speak to someone more senior in there but in my experince this has often helped to increase their offers of goodwill.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 02:29 PM   #8
Snooky
Major
Rep
Drives: Audi RS5 Sportback Carbon Blac

Sorry to hear this, neighbour. Hope you get a sensible outcome from BMW.
      04-15-2011, 02:47 AM   #9
Kal
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i M Sport

Garage List
If the dealer doesnt help I would write a letter to BMW UK, they arent the best but with a bit of a fight usually try to help out.
Appreciate 0