E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > 06 330i - Oil Leak, Fuel Leak, Missing Bolt

11-23-2014, 11:33 AM   #1
Judge Dredd
Bayerische Motoren Werke
United_States
Rep
Drives: recklessly

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
06 330i - Oil Leak, Fuel Leak, Missing Bolt

For the past week or two, I have smelled fuel in the engine bay, outside around the car, and inside the car. I don't see any fuel on the ground or any spots on either of my driveways. I'm not really sure what other information to provide or where to start on fixing this problem. I don't know if it's normal or not. Maybe one of you could suggest a place to look?

Second, about a month ago, I got an iDrive notification that I needed to put a quart of oil in, so I bought two quarts and put one in. The other I have in my trunk should the issue pop up again. Recently I opened the hood and noticed oil puddled around the oil filter housing and some dripped on the serpentine belt right below the housing. My first thoughts were: O-ring in the oil filter housing, cracked black housing cap, or I overfilled the engine with oil and it's spilling out. I am going to start by replacing the O-ring. When I did my oil change earlier this year (probably June or July?), I replaced the O-ring, filter, etc. with a kit from K&N. Normally K&N is fantastic but I think I will go with K&N. I have attached pictures of this leak. I am thanking the BMW Gods that it isn't a more serious oil leak though.

Third, in the pictures, next to the housing is a place where I would suspect a bolt needs to be but is missing. It's been like that since I got the car but to be on the safe side, I thought I'd ask if anyone else is missing this bolt or knows what this hole is for.

I am very grateful for any insight.

Dustin

Missing Bolt:

Oil:

Appreciate 0
      11-23-2014, 12:49 PM   #2
PichaDis11
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 N52

ok so firstly, the screw opening you see is not from a missing bolt or anything. That was always there from the factory. No harm there.

Secondly you may have installed your gasket for the oil cap wrong or you need to Torque the cap correctly. The gasket needs to be placed on the second ring (not correct term) below the neck of the oil cap. Call it grooves if you want to. So to be frank, not directly at the neck of the cap where the cap meets the housing.
      11-23-2014, 01:11 PM   #3
Bavarian Tech
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2006 330i  [10.00]
First off, DONT use after-market oil filters if you give a shit about ur car. I've seen MANY after-market literally filters fall apart in the oil filter housing, with leaking gaskets. Order an OE (MANN) filter n change it, along with the proper thickness Oil filter cap gasket.

The (missing bolt) you speak of is for a toe hook to screw into, for engine removal, or if you needed to support the engine from the fenders..EX subframe removal
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2014, 11:44 PM   #4
Judge Dredd
Bayerische Motoren Werke
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PichaDis11
ok so firstly, the screw opening you see is not from a missing bolt or anything. That was always there from the factory. No harm there.

Secondly you may have installed your gasket for the oil cap wrong or you need to Torque the cap correctly. The gasket needs to be placed on the second ring (not correct term) below the neck of the oil cap. Call it grooves if you want to. So to be frank, not directly at the neck of the cap where the cap meets the housing.
Thanks so much! I'll check that!
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2014, 11:47 PM   #5
Judge Dredd
Bayerische Motoren Werke
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian Tech
First off, DONT use after-market oil filters if you give a shit about ur car. I've seen MANY after-market literally filters fall apart in the oil filter housing, with leaking gaskets. Order an OE (MANN) filter n change it, along with the proper thickness Oil filter cap gasket.

The (missing bolt) you speak of is for a toe hook to screw into, for engine removal, or if you needed to support the engine from the fenders..EX subframe removal
I'm learning that quickly. I thought it would be good since K&N has a great reputation but I guess they should stick to air filters.

I think I'll replace it with the Mann kit.

Thanks for the info on the hole! :-)
Appreciate 0