E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > BMW E92 320d 2007 SERVICE ADVICE - Thanks!!!

08-01-2013, 06:40 AM   #1
deeebo8452
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E90 325d N57

BMW E92 320d 2007 SERVICE ADVICE - Thanks!!!

Hello Guys

I have had my 2007 BMW E92 320d MSport around 6 months now and would like to get it serviced. BMW are asking for an arm and a leg so I figured it would make more sense to purchase the parts and take it to a local garage to get everything fitted etc. To be honest I can fit the filters myself its more the oil change which I would rather not do to avoid getting my hands dirty.

Below is a list of the items I plan to buy from Eurocarparts (I have included approx prices)
- Air Filter (£30)
- Oil Filter (£15)
- Fuel Filter (30)
- Pollen Filter (£15)
- Brake Pads Front & Rear (Bosch £90, Pagid £60, Textar £60)
- Oil (Valvoline £40 4L, Castrol £35 4L, Mobil £40 5L, Shell £45 5L)

My questions are as follows:

1. Have I missed out any service parts which I would need?

2. What oil would you recommend me to purchase in terms of the brand and grade? I don't know anything about oil to be honest. I have listed a few above with their prices. Feel free to recommend others.

3. What brake pads would you advise me to go for? I have listed a few above with their prices. Feel free to recommend others.

4. Approx how much would you expect labor to cost?

5. Would a normal mechanic be able to reset the service timers in the on board computer or does that have to be done by BMW?

6. My brakes are making a screeching sounds when coming to a stop however my brake pads seem okay and MOT passed just recently, is there anything I can do to get rid of the noise? Is there some kind of spray of DIY I can do?

Would really appreciate and advice! Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2013, 07:06 AM   #2
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List

You've pretty much covered it

2. What oil would you recommend me to purchase in terms of the brand and grade? I don't know anything about oil to be honest. I have listed a few above with their prices. Feel free to recommend others.

Look for BMW LL04 standard. I swear by Mobil 1 0w-40

3. What brake pads would you advise me to go for? I have listed a few above with their prices. Feel free to recommend others.

You'll be fine with any of those brands

Why not try DIY? There are plenty of 'how to' guides on this forum

5. Would a normal mechanic be able to reset the service timers in the on board computer or does that have to be done by BMW?

You can do it. Again, info is on here (use search)

6. My brakes are making a screeching sounds when coming to a stop however my brake pads seem okay and MOT passed just recently, is there anything I can do to get rid of the noise? Is there some kind of spray of DIY I can do?

The noise will most likely be the pad wear sensor. Remove it from the pad, lightly sand the part in contact with the disc, lightly coat the rest of the sensor with copper grease and replace
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2013, 07:27 AM   #3
MEGA
Dieseasal
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: LCI E92 335d M-Sport

Mate why not call BW Chiptune in Hayes and get a quote. Speak to Alan there (google them).

Their labour is about 50 an hour rather than 140+ and they charge ECP or better prices for parts, not inflated like BMW.

No harm in asking them right.

ps. copper grease behind the pads, especially the inside pad. I've got the same issue at the mo even though discs/pads are nearly new It's not always wear related.
      08-01-2013, 08:28 AM   #4
deeebo8452
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for your response Phil325i!

2. In terms of Mobil oil on Eurocarparts they only have Mobil Engine Oil (1 ESP 5W30 5L). However in other brands e.g there is TRIPLE QX Engine Oil (5w40 Fully Synthetic (For PD engines) Engine Oil 5Ltr) - is that the same as 0W40 which you mentioned? What do you mean by BMW LL04 standard is that a BMW branded oil or rather is it the grade just like 0w40?

4. I will do everything but the oil change as it would be a little messy draining the oil. Also I want to get my service book stamped so at least if I do the oil at a garage I can get it stamped whereas if I do it myself my service book wont be up to date.

6. Do you think its worthwhile doing all brakes or just the one noise is coming from. And is it difficult to get to the sensor I assume have to remove the wheel etc, perhaps its worth getting the mechanic to do it during the oil change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil325i View Post

You've pretty much covered it

Look for BMW LL04 standard. I swear by Mobil 1 0w-40

You'll be fine with any of those brands

Why not try DIY? There are plenty of 'how to' guides on this forum

You can do it. Again, info is on here (use search)

The noise will most likely be the pad wear sensor. Remove it from the pad, lightly sand the part in contact with the disc, lightly coat the rest of the sensor with copper grease and replace
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2013, 08:30 AM   #5
deeebo8452
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Cheers MEGA I will give them a call! Is the pad issue that can be done DIY you reckon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEGA View Post
Mate why not call BW Chiptune in Hayes and get a quote. Speak to Alan there (google them).

Their labour is about 50 an hour rather than 140+ and they charge ECP or better prices for parts, not inflated like BMW.

No harm in asking them right.

ps. copper grease behind the pads, especially the inside pad. I've got the same issue at the mo even though discs/pads are nearly new It's not always wear related.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2013, 08:37 AM   #6
MEGA
Dieseasal
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: LCI E92 335d M-Sport

For sure, just remove the spring and take the pad out. Put something inbetween to stop the piston compressive. Refit after. Google "copper grease brake pad" and I'm sure there'll be loads and loads of why and how on it.

Though - If BW are working on other aspects of the car I'm certain they'd do this for free, btw. Just ask on the day.
      08-01-2013, 08:48 AM   #7
deeebo8452
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Cool thanks Mega. Any recommendations on which oil to go for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEGA View Post
For sure, just remove the spring and take the pad out. Put something inbetween to stop the piston compressive. Refit after. Google "copper grease brake pad" and I'm sure there'll be loads and loads of why and how on it.

Though - If BW are working on other aspects of the car I'm certain they'd do this for free, btw. Just ask on the day.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2013, 08:58 AM   #8
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2. In terms of Mobil oil on Eurocarparts they only have Mobil Engine Oil (1 ESP 5W30 5L). However in other brands e.g there is TRIPLE QX Engine Oil (5w40 Fully Synthetic (For PD engines) Engine Oil 5Ltr) - is that the same as 0W40 which you mentioned? What do you mean by BMW LL04 standard is that a BMW branded oil or rather is it the grade just like 0w40?

Mobil 1 ESP will be fine

6. Do you think its worthwhile doing all brakes or just the one noise is coming from. And is it difficult to get to the sensor I assume have to remove the wheel etc, perhaps its worth getting the mechanic to do it during the oil change.

Never replace just one brake pad - always in pairs. Unless your pads are badly worn, why change them? If the noise is the sensor, then my solution will cure it for you
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2013, 09:36 AM   #9
deeebo8452
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

By doing all the brakes I actually was referring to sanding down/lubricating all of the brake sensors - im assuming there are four for each wheel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil325i View Post

Mobil 1 ESP will be fine

Never replace just one brake pad - always in pairs. Unless your pads are badly worn, why change them? If the noise is the sensor, then my solution will cure it for you
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2013, 12:10 PM   #10
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeebo8452 View Post
By doing all the brakes I actually was referring to sanding down/lubricating all of the brake sensors - im assuming there are four for each wheel.
No. There is one at the front (nearside) and one at the rear (offside).
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2013, 09:25 AM   #11
deeebo8452
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Can anyone recommend any reasonable garages near Northwest London (i.e Hendon area ish don't mind travelling a bit) to do a full service? Do you reckon it works out better purchasing parts myself from Eurocarparts or get them to do the lot and how much you think im looking at?

Thanks
Appreciate 0