E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Southeast > Possibly Moving to Georgia

04-27-2013, 03:00 PM   #1
teleopti
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 328i Sport

Possibly Moving to Georgia

Wanted to get the community's insight for those that live in Georgia. I may be moving to Macon, GA to Mercer University for their medicine program or PCOM in Suwanne, GA.

Can anyone shed light on these areas? Safe? Quiet? Things to know?

I'm only familiar with Midtown Atlanta, GaTech area as I went there for a bit for undergrad.

Thanks guys!
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 07:00 PM   #2
shadow191
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 Volvo XC90 R-Design

Macon is very different than Atlanta, a lot quieter. Suwanee is basically north Atlanta. So if you like quiet, macon is good. But I would choose based on how good the programs are. Atlanta is close enough to Macon that you could go most weekends for activities.

Both places are pretty safe, Suwanee is mostly single family homes and Macon it will depend on what part. I went to Tech for undergrad and that is a much worse area than either you're looking at.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 10:10 PM   #3
Eyeman
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 blk, blk, step

Garage List
I'm not much of a fan of Macon but I've only been around the Mall, etc to work there a few times. You'd mostly be around Mercer so that would be different.

PCOM is a small school near a big town so that would be completely different. My optometry office (Quality Eyecare) is in the Mall there so I see students from there regularly. They seem very enthused about the program. Around Suwanee is a good place to live and you have good access to all the activities that Atlanta offers.

Either program should be a great opportunity, good luck with your choice!
Injen, RR OCC, MadDad Whisper, donut spare, 19x8.5et43fr 19x9.5et45r Volk LE37's, rear fenders rolled/pulled, PSS4S 225/35fr 255/30r, KW V1's, AR coated catless dps, Cross strutbar, CF grills and license plate holder, iCarbon diffuser, ETS black anodized FMIC, M3 control arms, Quaife, ER chargepipe, ForgeDV's, Topspeed Custom Tune, V3sims, Braille, Andrey_GTA rear hub mod, Ebay Mstyle front bumper and performance style side skirts.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 08:35 AM   #4
teleopti
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 328i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow191 View Post
Macon is very different than Atlanta, a lot quieter. Suwanee is basically north Atlanta. So if you like quiet, macon is good. But I would choose based on how good the programs are. Atlanta is close enough to Macon that you could go most weekends for activities.

Both places are pretty safe, Suwanee is mostly single family homes and Macon it will depend on what part. I went to Tech for undergrad and that is a much worse area than either you're looking at.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyeman View Post
I'm not much of a fan of Macon but I've only been around the Mall, etc to work there a few times. You'd mostly be around Mercer so that would be different.

PCOM is a small school near a big town so that would be completely different. My optometry office (Quality Eyecare) is in the Mall there so I see students from there regularly. They seem very enthused about the program. Around Suwanee is a good place to live and you have good access to all the activities that Atlanta offers.

Either program should be a great opportunity, good luck with your choice!
thanks for the replies! How is the BMW scene? I would bring FloridaBimmer up there and start a new chapter for Georgia =)

So I guess the area is safe and everything? I thought the area around GT was pretty safe...lots of homeless people outside where I used to live while there as an undergrad
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 04:57 PM   #5
shadow191
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 Volvo XC90 R-Design

No idea on the scene, I'm new to the BMW world. I do see a lot of modded ones on the road though. And Midtown is safer than it was, mostly property crimes with an occasional mugging. Not that it was terrible when I was there in the late 90's, mostly just homeless guys stealing little stuff. I was an RA in a dorm near North Ave. Only thing we worried about was the occasional homeless guy sneaking in and stealing from unlocked rooms. Every once in a while there would be a student mugging.

But compared to Suwanee, Midtown would be high crime. I will say that parts of Gwinnett do have higher rates of auto theft. Usually punk kids stealng modded Hondas though.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 05:14 PM   #6
Chuck
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Garage List
2007 335i E90  [7.76]
If you're on FB, check out ATLBimmers. Lot of great people here.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/336981249725907/

..JB4 G5 ISO | Helix FMIC | CP-e Chargepipe | Synapse BOV | VRSF Catless DP's | Dinan FFE | Alpina B3 TCU Flash..
Appreciate 0