E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > So even if you did the EGR recall...

06-18-2013, 09:43 AM   #45
AzureHaze
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by yafool View Post
Not sure what they will do with the carbon builtup on the intake manifolds or anywhere else though...
Get that thing walnut blasted. I'm planning to do that when I hit the big 50k and possibly every 50k.
JBD @ 100% | KW ST Coilovers | M3 rep. front bumper | 888Concepts AE Upgrade | GP Thunder 7500k fogs | Cyba 4" carbon tips | BSW Stage 1 | APEX ARC-8 W/ Michelin PSS | Ziza LED interior | Weisslicht LED side lenses | Sprint Booster | Euro side mirrors | M-Sport semi-conversion | Coded | LOTS of carbon fiber
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 10:13 AM   #46
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puerto Rican 335d View Post
SOCOM wtf thats some build up if any i hv seen wow! are we in for crap!!
Unless something goes terribly wrong we should never see this. EVER...

That's what I call build up.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 10:20 AM   #47
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 335d

wow I had something like that but it happened on the exhaust part where the UREA cristalized itself in the exhaust part and clogged the system and damaged two nox sensors!!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 05:48 PM   #48
yafool
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

I drive about 900 miles a week, all highway between norcal and socal. My average cruising speed is 85-90. I am also extremely heavy on the gas on the local streets so my motor and turbo is getting its fair share of exercise at temp. My commute is not at considered mild. Fueling at Chevrons only. Here is a photo of my injector compared with a new one. All 4 looks like this and 2 that were changed at 47k were okay. Also had the EGR recall done at 47k as well with the new software update.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 08:50 AM   #49
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep

holly guacamole thats nasty!!
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2013, 07:40 PM   #50
msnyder944
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d

Garage List
2010 BMW 335d  [0.00]
I have a 2010 335d with 46k miles. I bought it with 39k in May. Driving it home from Chicago to Tulsa, the SES light came on and it starts to idle rough, like it's missing but still had good high end power. Brought it to the dealership and they replaced injector #2, & throttle Body. Drove to Little Rock (4 hour drive) a couple weeks later and the SES came on again and it idled a little rough. Brought it to the dealership and the same code, Injector #2, they said it wasn't calibrated to the DDE. Calibrated it and no problems for a few thousand miles. This past Wednesday evening driving home I noticed a diesel exhaust smell, then a loss of power and a rushing air sound (sounds like it's loosing boost through a blown hose) but no SES. Brought it in and they said a tube and exhaust sensor was burned up. They replaced it and i got the car back today. Drove it not 5 miles and I smell something burning, then exhaust smell, then loss of power and rushing air sound. Brought it right back and got another loaner.

I'm wondering if I have Carbon Issues, maybe I should ask the dealership to check??? If so, how?

I really love this car and don't want to continue to have issues. EGR was replaced (I think around 30-35K) before I bought it according to BMW records and Carfax.

FYI, I did purchase an aftermarket warranty through Old Republic up to 100k. My SA said they are the best to work with for an aftermarket warranty.

Matt

Last edited by msnyder944; 08-23-2013 at 07:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2013, 02:26 PM   #51
bdwyer
Private
Rep
Drives: '11 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by msnyder944
I have a 2010 335d with 46k miles. I bought it with 39k in May. Driving it home from Chicago to Tulsa, the SES light came on and it starts to idle rough, like it's missing but still had good high end power. Brought it to the dealership and they replaced injector #2, & throttle Body. Drove to Little Rock (4 hour drive) a couple weeks later and the SES came on again and it idled a little rough. Brought it to the dealership and the same code, Injector #2, they said it wasn't calibrated to the DDE. Calibrated it and no problems for a few thousand miles. This past Wednesday evening driving home I noticed a diesel exhaust smell, then a loss of power and a rushing air sound (sounds like it's loosing boost through a blown hose) but no SES. Brought it in and they said a tube and exhaust sensor was burned up. They replaced it and i got the car back today. Drove it not 5 miles and I smell something burning, then exhaust smell, then loss of power and rushing air sound. Brought it right back and got another loaner.

I'm wondering if I have Carbon Issues, maybe I should ask the dealership to check??? If so, how?

I really love this car and don't want to continue to have issues. EGR was replaced (I think around 30-35K) before I bought it according to BMW records and Carfax.

FYI, I did purchase an aftermarket warranty through Old Republic up to 100k. My SA said they are the best to work with for an aftermarket warranty.

Matt
Sounds like the issue I just had. Exhaust backpressure sensor hose was blown. See my recent post.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=880159

Last edited by bdwyer; 08-26-2013 at 04:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 07:05 PM   #52
yafool
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Third party will never cover carbon built up issues.

My SA stepped up and help me get everything good willed by BMWNA at 63k as well.

6 new injectors
new particulate filter
new intake manifold
new cylinder head
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 01:54 AM   #53
msnyder944
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d

Garage List
2010 BMW 335d  [0.00]
well I drove the car to little rock again this past weekend and on the way back noticed a rough idle when I went to fill up. Half way back the SES light came on again. Did the same thing the first time, rough idle (felt like it was misfiring) and running rough up to about 2500 rpm. Brought it back to BMW and they put me in a loaner. I told the SA to please get with BMW NA and figure this out, this is the 5th time the car has had to go into service since I bought it in May. I hope they go through it this time and fix it. Otherwise I will need to sell it. It will be a shame since I LOVE this car when it runs...

Matt
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 11:19 PM   #54
rotarypower101
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335xi

What is a conservative percentage estimate of 335d cars afflicted by these types of issues?

Knowing full well people come to air their grievances, what is the average of forum users with these issues?

What is the average timescale/mileage for this type of issue to come up?

Are there any methods to keep close tabs on this issue, to significantly limit its detrimental effects?

TIA
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2013, 08:32 AM   #55
Bimmertech113
Private
Rep
Drives: None

I work at a dealer in middle Tennessee. I've pulled the head and sent it out to be cleaned for carbon buildup this week and I have another one waiting for me to at the shop. It's going to be an ongoing issues. BMW should be releasing special tools to clean the carbon soon so we don't have to pull the cylinder heads off anymore. It's the new emissions standards the government is enforcing. Every manufacture is having this issue. I'm told even the big semi trucks are having egr and carbon buildup issues.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2013, 05:21 PM   #56
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmertech113 View Post
I work at a dealer in middle Tennessee. I've pulled the head and sent it out to be cleaned for carbon buildup this week and I have another one waiting for me to at the shop. It's going to be an ongoing issues. BMW should be releasing special tools to clean the carbon soon so we don't have to pull the cylinder heads off anymore. It's the new emissions standards the government is enforcing. Every manufacture is having this issue. I'm told even the big semi trucks are having egr and carbon buildup issues.
I just recently had a shop forman tell me NOT to own this car out of warranty. Do you concur or do you think that (if one extended the warranty) thinks will be worked out in the next few years
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2013, 07:18 PM   #57
Bimmertech113
Private
Rep
Drives: None

We already have this issue with the gas engines. I would own one. I just think its part of the new emissions standards. If they make a tool for us to clean the intake like on the gas engines, it won't be bad. CPO currently covers this issue. Most of the aftermarket warranty's don't. If your going to own a BMW, I would recommend you having an extended warranty or someone like me to work on it.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2013, 07:43 PM   #58
Mark M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30M3 E83X3 E90335D

My 2010 d is in the shop right now for this. 47k miles and rough idle / stumbling revs. Soot buildup.

Thankfully I bought it CPO. So I am covered to 100k or 6 years.
      11-10-2013, 11:53 PM   #59
rotarypower101
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
My 2010 d is in the shop right now for this. 47k miles and rough idle / stumbling revs. Soot buildup.

Thankfully I bought it CPO. So I am covered to 100k or 6 years.
So a wise man will purchase a low mile CPO if he must have a 335d, and part with it before 100k?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2013, 07:39 AM   #60
Vreimann
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmertech113 View Post
We already have this issue with the gas engines. I would own one. I just think its part of the new emissions standards. If they make a tool for us to clean the intake like on the gas engines, it won't be bad. CPO currently covers this issue. Most of the aftermarket warranty's don't. If your going to own a BMW, I would recommend you having an extended warranty or someone like me to work on it.
So I have a question for you. Does this tool allow the service tech to be able to do this at specified intervals on the gas engines within a short time service window, or does using the tool still require quite a lot of time to get the result? My wife has the 2 litre gas turbo and so this buildup would be relevant to her car.
      11-11-2013, 07:07 PM   #61
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vreimann View Post
So I have a question for you. Does this tool allow the service tech to be able to do this at specified intervals on the gas engines within a short time service window, or does using the tool still require quite a lot of time to get the result? My wife has the 2 litre gas turbo and so this buildup would be relevant to her car.
It's basically sand blasted using crushed walnut shells. The valves are easily accessible in gassers unlike our diesel.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 10:52 PM   #62
L5P335D
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D

I have the same issue with my 2011 CPO 335D with 47K miles. Started with rough idle and the dealership replaced the injectors. Yadda, yadda, yadda...They've had the car about a month now and BMWNA has authorized a new engine. Problem is, there is not one in the US or Germany. The dealership is estimating sometime around the first of the year before they will have one for me.

A technician I talked to off the record said BMW does not have a root cause and the problem would most likely reoccur with a new engine.
-Not very happy
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 11:14 PM   #63
dixy2k
Major
Rep
Drives: 335d

I recon every 50k miles the cars will have a lot of issues due to carbon build up.
I've been driving dealer loaner for a month now.

Lots of complaints come from Europe, where people had these cars a lot longer than us here in US.

As we all come up to the 50k mile mark we'll a lot more complaints.

Ironically that's the warranty cutoff period as well. I wonder why.
Many other brands offer way better warranty coverage.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2013, 04:51 PM   #64
swimmbackwards
Rep

I've got the same problem!

Kamando - did this fix your car?
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2013, 06:31 AM   #65
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep

Amigos let me inform you that our engines have been in the Euro market for 13 yrs, our issues stem from the NEW BS emissions standrads yes the Euro have some issues but not as bad as we are going to have in the future, that said Im in the midst of removing my DPF EGR coded out, as I stated before i will open a blog eventually but first we need the DOWNPIPE from ECOTUNE done once we have in our hands then I will proceed to remove everything and go 3" all the way back
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2013, 01:11 PM   #66
dixy2k
Major
Rep

I can barely wait.
Lenny is on vacation right now. Don't forget to post your work or your blog entries here too.
Appreciate 0