E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Need help understanding E90 fault codes

07-19-2016, 07:26 PM   #1
Aron S.P
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 318d 2008'

Need help understanding E90 fault codes

Could anybody be as kind to tell me what these codes mean? I know that some of them have to do with the auto start/stop and others for DSC and DTC systems. Any help is appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2016, 02:00 AM   #2
kkasson
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 328i, 08 BMW 528i

Here's my best guesses:

416F - Auto start/stop neutral sensor error
49F2 - Speed sensor
480A - Diesel particular filter blocked
4D03 - Exhaust back pressue Bank 1
4A74 - Glow system communication error
4A79 - Glow system communication error
5DC2 - Wheel speed sensor right rear
5DF4 - System voltage too low
5DC1 - Wheel speed sensor right rear

Do you have DSC lights on? If everything seems okay, then most of them might be from a battery issue. All sorts of strange codes show up if the battery voltage drops too low. Is your battery old?

The other issue seems to be related to a DPF blockage...I'm not sure if that's a real issue or another electrical problem. Do you have any performance issues that might be related to a restricted exhaust?

If you scan each module individually, you can see at what mileage the different codes appeared. If they all happened together, then it's probably an electrical issue.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2016, 07:34 PM   #3
Aron S.P
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 318d 2008'

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkasson View Post
Here's my best guesses:

416F - Auto start/stop neutral sensor error
49F2 - Speed sensor
480A - Diesel particular filter blocked
4D03 - Exhaust back pressue Bank 1
4A74 - Glow system communication error
4A79 - Glow system communication error
5DC2 - Wheel speed sensor right rear
5DF4 - System voltage too low
5DC1 - Wheel speed sensor right rear

Do you have DSC lights on? If everything seems okay, then most of them might be from a battery issue. All sorts of strange codes show up if the battery voltage drops too low. Is your battery old?

The other issue seems to be related to a DPF blockage...I'm not sure if that's a real issue or another electrical problem. Do you have any performance issues that might be related to a restricted exhaust?

If you scan each module individually, you can see at what mileage the different codes appeared. If they all happened together, then it's probably an electrical issue.
Thanks! Regarding the dpf blockage, these codes were read right after my dpf was replaced with a new downpipe, therefore it was throwing codes, these are now removed. However I have physically seen wear on the rear right sensor, which is what I was guessing some of the codes were for. I will look into replacing this now. And yes I have dtc/dsc warning lights which I assume are triggered by this sensor. My next step will be to replace this sensor, thanks for the help!
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2022, 05:54 PM   #4
leoilkhani
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

I have the following codes on my E90...i'll be cruising on the freeway at a 120kph, if i try to pass or accelerate the car stutters and acts like its about to shut off. really hard to explain wish i could post the video i took today.

here are the codes.

5E43 - steering angle sensor internal
5DF4 - Wiring supply voltage <9 Volt
5D97 - sensor cluster supply voltage out of range
5DF7 - Wiring supply voltage > 18 volt

where do i start with in terms of diagnosing the issue. I appreciate you guys very much!
Appreciate 0