E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > extreme shaking with brakes applied

10-11-2017, 02:18 PM   #1
martincc
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi

extreme shaking with brakes applied

I have a 2006 330xi with 250k kms (160k miles). I purchased the car as cheap commuter and when I did it had a pretty aggressive shake when the brakes were applied but only at moderate pressure and traveling between 70-100km/h. The shake is felt in the steering wheel and brake pedal. Does not happen unless the brakes are applied. I purchased new tires, so the rims/tires are balanced. I assumed it was rotors so I changed the front rotors and pads. After the brake change the shaking became more pronounced and happens at all speeds and applications. It is so bad that the car wants to dart off the road right or left if you let go of the wheel, and the adaptive headlights shake almost like a strobe light at night. Shaking stops the second the brake is released and car drives perfect otherwise. Reading the thrust bushings can be a cause I also replaced both lower control arms, which made no difference. Since I still have a pulsing in the pedal, and grabbing feeling when going slow I thought maybe there was some metal or corrosion on the hub when the new disks were mounted causing the new rotors to act like they were warped. So i cleaned the hubs with a wire bush and removed any rust which was very minimal. Still same issue. Anyone have any other suggestions? I am going to put the old rotors back on and see if that makes a difference. Again since the pulsing and low speed grabbing is still there it makes me wonder if perhaps a hub is bent for some reason. I tried looking online and can not find a DIY replacement or a replacement front hub for an AWD xi model? Links to either would be helpful. All else on the front end seems tight, there is no play in the wheel front to back or top to bottom when the car is jacked up. I am pretty much at the economic end for putting money into a car this old so if I cant solve this it will likely go to someone else for cheap to try. Thanks for any help!
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 08:53 PM   #2
martincc
Rep

swapped back to original rotors and shaking is much less, car is at least driveable. Same as before putting the new rotors on (a moderate shake only at higher speeds with moderate pressure applied). What are the chances new rotors could come warped? As soon as I first applied the brakes lightly after the rotor swap at 60km/h the extreme shaking was there so i don't think I warped the new ones? Calipers move in and out freely and as soon as i let off the brake pedal the shaking stops.

Last edited by martincc; 10-12-2017 at 08:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 01:22 AM   #3
CALWATERBOY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 N54

Time to wiggle your suspension parts t'see what's loose/worn. Look for the Black Goo Of Death from oil filled bushings. Check all suspension nuts'n'bolts for correct torque including under hood strut mounts and brace. Don't neglect subframe mounting bolts.

Alignment check after that can't get good alignment readings if any parts are loose/worn/busted.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 08:47 PM   #4
martincc
Rep

it was the rotors. Swapped the new ones back for original, shaking was reduced back to normal. Called rock auto, they sent out new rotors, installed tonight and all is good. Too bad it cost me a new set of control arms trying to solve this.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2017, 12:52 PM   #5
MysticRob
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i E90

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by martincc View Post
it was the rotors. Swapped the new ones back for original, shaking was reduced back to normal. Called rock auto, they sent out new rotors, installed tonight and all is good. Too bad it cost me a new set of control arms trying to solve this.
Yikes, what crappy rotors did you buy from RA?
      11-07-2017, 08:27 AM   #6
Jaronbwall
Driving cars and riding bikes really fast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Hahaha I've never heard of new rotors being that bad.
Appreciate 0