E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > 335i Calipers on a 330i

04-27-2012, 07:06 PM   #1
StealYourFace
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M 6mt, E36 M3

Question 335i Calipers on a 330i

I did a set of johny generic slotted rotors and hawk hps pads the last time I did my brakes. Other than the looks, in the 30k miles I have had them I have never been thrilled with them. The rotors vibrate/howl on hard braking, and the initial bite of the factory brakes is missing. Not to mention I got 80k miles out of the original brakes and after 30k miles on the current set uo they will be done in 10k miles according to the cars computer.

SO, my idea is to do 335i front calipers, with drilled rotors (look factor-slotted or drilled just looks cool with the style 230 wheel, very large openings) oem pads, stainless lines, I figure with 113,000 miles the original rubber ones have had it, and some high temp fluid.

The benefit should be longer life, better stopping, better looks. I autocross and will be getting into track day schools- nothing to warrent race pads until I get good/fast enough.

Any other ideas based on my use?

Eventually I will be buying an e46 M3 for a weekend/autocross/track day car in which case I would be looking for a more serious set up.

Thanks
      04-28-2012, 06:25 AM   #2
Mavus
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, F80 zcp

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealYourFace View Post
I did a set of johny generic slotted rotors and hawk hps pads the last time I did my brakes. Other than the looks, in the 30k miles I have had them I have never been thrilled with them. The rotors vibrate/howl on hard braking, and the initial bite of the factory brakes is missing. Not to mention I got 80k miles out of the original brakes and after 30k miles on the current set uo they will be done in 10k miles according to the cars computer.

SO, my idea is to do 335i front calipers, with drilled rotors (look factor-slotted or drilled just looks cool with the style 230 wheel, very large openings) oem pads, stainless lines, I figure with 113,000 miles the original rubber ones have had it, and some high temp fluid.

The benefit should be longer life, better stopping, better looks. I autocross and will be getting into track day schools- nothing to warrent race pads until I get good/fast enough.

Any other ideas based on my use?

Eventually I will be buying an e46 M3 for a weekend/autocross/track day car in which case I would be looking for a more serious set up.

Thanks
Saw in your signature that you have performance suspension, is it v1 or v2? I am thinking of upgrading to v2. Also, would you recommend upgrading to M3 control arms? I have the same car, 330i ZCP, Dinan CAI, TB, exhaust.

Regrading brakes, I have stock ones with ceramic pads and they are excellent. The brake dust is non existent and would highly recommend it. My logic was function > style. If I decide to upgrade brakes I would go with BBK, maybe Stoptech but I don't need it right now.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2012, 09:39 AM   #3
StealYourFace
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M 6mt, E36 M3

Yes- the M3 front end parts make a nice improvement in response and turn in- the front really digs into a corner. Of course the extra neg camber helps (have to remove the pins from the tip hats too).

I have the V1 shocks with regular sport package springs. Great combo, but they replaced a very shot set of oem shocks. 30k miles and no problems or signs of wear. I heard they were made by bilstein- which last forever, but I don't know if that's true.

As far as the brakes go, how do you like the ceramic brakes? Do they bite like oem? I personally couldn't care less about brake dust, my summer rims are easy to clean, and I am always doing a spray detail on my car like every other day weather permitting.

Last edited by StealYourFace; 04-28-2012 at 09:41 AM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 09:13 PM   #4
Mavus
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, F80 zcp

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealYourFace View Post
Yes- the M3 front end parts make a nice improvement in response and turn in- the front really digs into a corner. Of course the extra neg camber helps (have to remove the pins from the tip hats too).

I have the V1 shocks with regular sport package springs. Great combo, but they replaced a very shot set of oem shocks. 30k miles and no problems or signs of wear. I heard they were made by bilstein- which last forever, but I don't know if that's true.

As far as the brakes go, how do you like the ceramic brakes? Do they bite like oem? I personally couldn't care less about brake dust, my summer rims are easy to clean, and I am always doing a spray detail on my car like every other day weather permitting.

Thanks for feedback. The ceramic pads are a bit easier to modulate at lower speeds and the performance is almost identical. I stated almost because that is my impression and don't have test data to compare. However, the OEM pads have stronger bite at lower speeds. If brake dust is not an annoyance than I would recommend going with OEM or BBK. I am a huge fan of OEM parts because they were tested and approved by BMW engineers. I am not saying that everything OEM is great but brakes on 330i sport are very good. The BBK is expensive and unnecessary for dd and even light track use.
Appreciate 0