E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > oil level?

01-03-2008, 10:46 AM   #1
BM2006i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

oil level?

hey, when is the best time to test oil level to get the correct reading? cause i think it's time for an oil change. Sometime it shows Half btween Min/Max. and Sometimes it shows at Max. thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2008, 10:55 AM   #2
noro
Colonel
Armenia
Rep
Drives: '91 M3, '04 E46 ZHP, '72 2002

fully warmed up at idle. if your reading keeps going back and forth you may have a faulty sensor. If it just goes back then it's ok since it's normal for the car to loose oil over time.

Also on the new engine the oil level indicator is based on pressure not an actual level of the oil. There is direct correlation between oil level and oil pressure but it can vary based on the oil type.
      01-03-2008, 11:14 AM   #3
rrosen
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i, sparkling graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by noro View Post
Also on the new engine the oil level indicator is based on pressure not an actual level of the oil. There is direct correlation between oil level and oil pressure but it can vary based on the oil type.
Are you sure about this? It really makes no sense to me since the oil pressure is derived from the pump which will pump oil at the same pressure regardless of whether the car's oil sump is full or low until the intake to the pump starts sucking air because it's no longer in the oil. I see no way that oil pressure can indicate the amount of oil present in the sump.

Now if you're saying it's the pressure (weight) of the oil in the sump (since the pressure of the oil on a sensor at the bottom is directly proportional to the height of the oil in the sump) then OK I buy that. But that's not what I would think of when someone says "oil pressure" in a car.

Can you clarify?
      01-03-2008, 11:26 AM   #4
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

The N52 has a constant-pressure pump (i.e. oil pressure is not related to RPM). The N54 twin turbo is a different engine, I'm not sure the oil pump is the constant-pressure type. Oil pressure is not directly related to oil level except when the sump is too low to supply enough oil to the pump, as was said earlier.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2008, 11:46 AM   #5
majin ssj eric
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 Sedan

Why didn't they just put a dipstick in this damn thing?!?!?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2008, 11:49 AM   #6
335i4u2nv
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i e9O sL0w

Quote:
Originally Posted by majin ssj eric View Post
bc its a BMW!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2008, 11:49 AM   #7
gloster
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i MT, sport

Quote:
Cars used to have a type of dip stick for fuel level also. I don't miss it.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2008, 12:37 PM   #8
noro
Colonel
Armenia
Rep
Drives: '91 M3, '04 E46 ZHP, '72 2002

Guys, disregard my second comment. I recall reading something about it but I can't find it anymore, and it's possible I am on crack.

But I did find this, not necessarily what BMW uses but a good information on the concept. Apparently 2 methods are around one is a simple level device that averages out the readings and one uses ultrasonic waves to detect the "top" of the oil and thus can derive the level it's at.

http://www.hella.com/produktion/Hell...k_GB_TT_05.pdf
      01-03-2008, 03:15 PM   #9
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Quote:
Sometimes there is. But it's located behind the wheel.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2008, 11:39 PM   #10
dmichael
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 GTI

Tell me if this is normal. I test oil level only after the car is fully warmed up and on flat ground and stationary. When the car was brand new, the first few times I tested, I would get this clock icon like the hourglass on a PC for several seconds maybe up to a minute while it seemed to be getting a reading and then the display would revert back to the normal display and not give me any reading at all, like it timed out. Then after a hundred miles I got a max reading after about 30 seconds. Everytime after that, when checking oil level, I never get the clock icon, it goes right to the screen with max oil level with no waiting at all as if its always giving me a cached reading from the first time I got a good reading. I wonder if I have a problem. I noticed that the car is making a couple of different noises after cold starts lately which makes me wonder if the oil level is good. I had the dealer change my oil at 2500 miles or so and that was 500 miles ago.
      01-04-2008, 10:20 AM   #11
gloster
Captain
Rep

You get the clock icon when the oil is not warm enough for a valid reading. Your car's behavior sounds normal to me FWIW
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2008, 10:21 AM   #12
gloster
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoYank View Post
Sometimes there is. But it's located behind the wheel.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2008, 11:12 PM   #13
Audionut
Private
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Surprise! Pull over..oil below minimum required level

I got this message on idrive yesterday. Said continuing to operate this vehicle may result in damage to the engine.

I guess I have to check the oil level intermittently through idrive. I thought the level cannot be checked because of the lack of a dipstick. oh well guess I should have . Would have been nice to have a low level warning prior to the stop driving warning.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2008, 11:25 PM   #14
NaTuReB0Y