E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > New rotors + Pads?

04-28-2012, 09:44 PM   #1
Ferruccio
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i

New rotors + Pads?

I've been told that my rear brakes will last about one more HPDE, then they will need replacements (rotors and pads).

However, I also feel that my front brakes need similar replacement. They are apparently only 50% worn down, but I am not very happy with how they perform when they get warm. There's heavy vibration and shimmying of the steering wheel once the brakes get warm (such as slowing down quickly from a high speed). They're from the original owner or two, I think, and they make a scraping noise when I'm not applying the brakes. I'd imagine the drag would be reducing fuel economy as well. Here are photos of the front and rear rotors.

My front rotors:
View post on imgur.com

My rear rotors:
View post on imgur.com

What do you think? Should I just keep the front rotors?

A plan I have is to get new OEM rotors, some kind of different pad (?), and cryo-treat the rotors. I've been told that such a thing makes them last much longer and dissipate heat better. I've also done some cursory searches and found similar stories about cryo-treatment. The only disadvantage, from what I've seen, is squeaky brakes when they aren't warm, but I don't mind that.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2012, 12:20 AM   #2
Ferruccio
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Any ideas, guys? I decided on what to do with the tires, but I still don't know about the brakes. I don't even know if getting them machined in some way would improve things a bit, since I'd be getting new rotors eventually, anyway.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2012, 12:30 AM   #3
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i, 2015 Tundra 1794

IMO go ahead and do the front rotors, you might as well if you are replacing the rear rotors and all of the pads anyway and it may be for the better. I just replaced pads and rotors on all four corners from TMS and it brakes just like new.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2012, 02:08 AM   #4
Ferruccio
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PINeely View Post
IMO go ahead and do the front rotors, you might as well if you are replacing the rear rotors and all of the pads anyway and it may be for the better. I just replaced pads and rotors on all four corners from TMS and it brakes just like new.
Alright, sounds good. This is what I'm thinking of getting, specifically, for OEM. I'm quite a newbie at this, so I'm not sure if this is everything I need.

2x of each...

http://www.trademotion.com/parts/201...omponent=ROTOR

http://www.trademotion.com/parts/201...omponent=ROTOR

482.32 for all 4 rotors excluding tax/shipping.

1x of each (I'm assuming these are bought in sets)

http://www.trademotion.com/parts/201...t=FRONT%20PADS

http://www.trademotion.com/parts/201...nt=REAR%20PADS

totaling 212.81

4 rotors + 4 pads = 695.13 total.

I'm asking around for anyone who does cryo treatment. I don't care so much for a performance increase (the stock brakes work great) but I'd love them to last a lot longer than my current rotors, which just feel miserable. I'm tired of the constant scraping, and the practically zero time it takes for them to become noisy once they become warm. They fade so quickly.

I'm trying to figure out how ~$700 in parts becomes $1200-$1400 for a dealership to do an install.

Am I missing something here, aside from "dealerships are stealerships"?

I was also thinking about something like this, but maybe it is more worth it to just get the OEM ones cryo-treated?

http://www.frozenrotors.com/shop-by-...d-+e93+models/

Last edited by Ferruccio; 05-01-2012 at 02:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2012, 08:30 AM   #5
Bronze
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i sedan

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Vibration and noise up front might just need an easy resurface of the rotor (if it's got a fair amount of thickness left), and a fresh application of anti-squeal goop on the back of the pads.

For me, when the time comes for new front rotors, I like the idea of the Z35is (I think that's right) front rotors. Same size as the 335i, but two piece rotors knocking off 4 lbs. of weight per corner. I've never seen two-piece rotors priced so low.

As for cryo-processing, I don't have experience. THe suppliers of said parts really talk it up. But is it worth the extra money, when replacement rotors (non-cooled) aren't that expensive? I just don't know.

Lastly, if your fluid is old, swap it out, especially if it has some driver school events on it.

Lastly lastly, $700 parts + 2 hours per axle at $125/hour = $1200. There is your price walk.
      05-01-2012, 09:35 AM   #6
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

If you want cryo rotors, what about the Centric rotors from TireRack:
http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brake...lar=Base+Model

I recently received a set of those and they will be going on my brothers '08 G35x this weekend. They're not OEM, but they're quality rotors nonetheless, and come cryo treated already.

Also just a comment; if you're looking to reduce/eliminate fade ESPECIALLY since you're involved with HPDEs, cryo treated rotors will probably do little to nothing to prevent the fading of OEM pads. You have got to match your pads to your expected driving behavior. Either go with a more aggressive than OEM pad that will have more resistance to temps seen on the track, or have a dedicated set of pads for the track in general. Just my humble opinion...
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2012, 12:36 PM   #7
Ferruccio
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
If you want cryo rotors, what about the Centric rotors from TireRack:
http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brake...lar=Base+Model

I recently received a set of those and they will be going on my brothers '08 G35x this weekend. They're not OEM, but they're quality rotors nonetheless, and come cryo treated already.

Also just a comment; if you're looking to reduce/eliminate fade ESPECIALLY since you're involved with HPDEs, cryo treated rotors will probably do little to nothing to prevent the fading of OEM pads. You have got to match your pads to your expected driving behavior. Either go with a more aggressive than OEM pad that will have more resistance to temps seen on the track, or have a dedicated set of pads for the track in general. Just my humble opinion...
I mainly want the cryo rotors because I've heard about the long driving* life. I don't expect any performance gain. What the indy said agrees with what you said. The pads are what need to be changed if I am to go out on an HPDE.
Appreciate 0