E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > FSD + Eibach or Performance Yellow Springs

10-25-2011, 02:01 PM   #1
carrot
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 323i

FSD + Eibach or Performance Yellow Springs

I'm looking for a tight handling street setup, with a sporty drop (not slammed). I currently have non-sport. And I find it floaty in high speeds, and too much diving and body roll.

1. Should I pair FSD with Eibach (package) or BMW Performance Yellow Springs?

2. I read on 1addicts, some are pairing FSDs with BMW Performance Yellow Springs (benefit being springs specific to each car)... e90 opinions?

3. Also, in both cases, do I need new bumpstops, or my OEM is fine?

Thanks all!
11 E90 323i 6MTAW|Black|Satin BMW Performance Grill • F1 Pinnacle 30 • |Coded: M3 Digital Speedometer • Corner Light Del • AE-DRL | • Mtec H7 • Mtec H8 • RDash AE LED V2 • M3 Lip Spoiler • BMW SSK • Gloss Black Roof
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2011, 11:59 PM   #2
Fraggy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

3 series perf springs are black. They mate VERY well with koni yellows.
2020 M340
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2011, 02:04 AM   #3
JunkStory
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, 8V RS3

The performance springs from BMW don't drop the rear, so I wouldn't bother with those. If you just want to drop the front, get spring perches. I already have spring perches and plan to add eibach pro with Bilstein B8 front and B6 rear (if possible).
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2011, 06:50 AM   #4
335iSSA
Captain
Poland
Rep
Drives: 07' E92 335i

The performance springs are yellow and do drop the front and rear coming from non-sport.

I installed the package in July and am very happy with this setup. I also used the front lowering spring perches and still wish it were a little lower. I would suggest getting the whole pert package from tischer, it competitively priced and you et the bump stops and upgraded front sway also.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2011, 06:59 AM   #5
cvc 22349a
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraggy View Post
BMW PS springs for the E9X are painted yellow
      10-26-2011, 07:18 AM   #6
cvc 22349a
Colonel
United_States
Rep

OP: Eibach pro springs and Koni FSD's are sold as a kit so they should work together. I'd check first to see if your non-zsp bumpstops are the same size as zsp; if not, spend a couple extra bucks and get the zsp bumpstops. That should lower your car more than the BMW performance springs. If you're interested in better handling and a drop from your non-sport suspension, 'I'd' get the whole performance kit engineered by BMW, which comes with new bumpstops. It sounds like you really want the FSD's though. I had them on my car for 3 yrs and wouldn't recommend them; inconsistent dampening and occasionally, if they hit the bumpstops hard, they would just blow through their travel as if there were no dampening at all. But 90% of the time, they are more comfortable than oe.
      10-26-2011, 08:54 AM   #7
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

The later BMW performance suspension with the yellow springs does drop the car front and rear even if you started with the sport suspension. The earlier version did not drop.
      10-26-2011, 09:43 AM   #8
Fraggy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvc 22349a View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraggy View Post
BMW PS springs for the E9X are painted yellow
well they must have changed then. Mine are QUITE black and have been in the car for several years.
2020 M340
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2011, 06:21 PM   #9
carrot
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
OP: Eibach pro springs and Koni FSD's are sold as a kit so they should work together. I'd check first to see if your non-zsp bumpstops are the same size as zsp; if not, spend a couple extra bucks and get the zsp bumpstops. That should lower your car more than the BMW performance springs. If you're interested in better handling and a drop from your non-sport suspension, 'I'd' get the whole performance kit engineered by BMW, which comes with new bumpstops. It sounds like you really want the FSD's though. I had them on my car for 3 yrs and wouldn't recommend them; inconsistent dampening and occasionally, if they hit the bumpstops hard, they would just blow through their travel as if there were no dampening at all. But 90% of the time, they are more comfortable than oe.

Thank you for your input. I'm read a lot about FSDs and understand the dual
frequency concept (ie. tighten in curves and absorb bumps).

For FSDs, I'm wondering if I'm doing e.g. 90mph and make QUICK lane changes, how do they react? Will they be firm and precise, or floaty?

The reason that I'm considering FSDs is mainly because of price. So I guess your advice is to save up extra $400 and go PS?
11 E90 323i 6MTAW|Black|Satin BMW Performance Grill • F1 Pinnacle 30 • |Coded: M3 Digital Speedometer • Corner Light Del • AE-DRL | • Mtec H7 • Mtec H8 • RDash AE LED V2 • M3 Lip Spoiler • BMW SSK • Gloss Black Roof
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2011, 07:04 PM   #10
cvc 22349a
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrot View Post
Thank you for your input. I'm read a lot about FSDs and understand the dual
frequency concept (ie. tighten in curves and absorb bumps).

For FSDs, I'm wondering if I'm doing e.g. 90mph and make QUICK lane changes, how do they react? Will they be firm and precise, or floaty?

The reason that I'm considering FSDs is mainly because of price. So I guess your advice is to save up extra $400 and go PS?
Ask 'Fraggy'. I think he's had both the Eibach/FSD combo and the BMW PS. I've only had the FSD's w/zsp springs and switched to Koni Sports.
If you're asking about FSD's w/your oe springs, your quick lane change scenario won't be much different (if at all) from what's on your car now.
Yes, 'I'd' get the BMW PS: linear rate springs (I believe Eibachs are progressive) and engineered by BMW for your car. From what I've read Eibach/FSD=lower stance and more comfort v. BMW PS. BMW PS=more precise handling and car sits a little higher than Eibach. Both should give you that drop you're looking for.
      10-26-2011, 08:47 PM   #11
carrot
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Ask 'Fraggy'. I think he's had both the Eibach/FSD combo and the BMW PS. I've only had the FSD's w/zsp springs and switched to Koni Sports.
If you're asking about FSD's w/your oe springs, your quick lane change scenario won't be much different (if at all) from what's on your car now.
Yes, 'I'd' get the BMW PS: linear rate springs (I believe Eibachs are progressive) and engineered by BMW for your car. From what I've read Eibach/FSD=lower stance and more comfort v. BMW PS. BMW PS=more precise handling and car sits a little higher than Eibach. Both should give you that drop you're looking for.
Yea, I've read all of Fraggy's threads. Really awesome. I think Fraggy loves his BMW PS.

You are probably right about my Quick Lane Change scenario. Roads aren't nearly as bad as LA or NYC here. So comfort is a non-issue. I want high speed stability and more precision. Love making micro adjustments. The minor drop is ok, cause I have SNOW to deal with anyways. Want to move back to SoCal.. but that's another topic.

Thanks to everyone for your input. I'm going to get the BMW PS.
Appreciate 0