E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) > Lewis Hamilton to Sign with Mercedes?

09-28-2012, 06:06 AM   #23
TexasZed4MC
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Interlagos Z4 M Coupe

Auto123.com has reported that Sergio Perez has signed with McLaren and Hamilton to Mercedes....glad to see him go!

Lone Star Chapter BMWCCA HPDE Event Chair, Texas Trifecta Event Chair, & BMWCCA driving Instructor
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 07:08 AM   #24
Duck360198
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F30 340i Laguna Seca Blue

I don't see how he CAN stay with McLaren. That relationship is so tarnished with Lewis' tirades. He acts like a Diva. Didn't you see his last win when he came across the finish line and his team wasn't even up on the wall congratulating him? Ferrari would NEVER offer him a ride with Alonso still there. Red Bull....I could see him taking Weber's spot. But I think Mercedes IS the right answer. They aren't THAT far behind in development. They have had some great qualifying efforts and nice races (far from perfect, obviously) so I think it would be a good fit. I like Lewis, and I want him to succeed. But I don't think it's with McLaren.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 07:59 AM   #25
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
Perhaps it was a good move and plan for 2014 championship.
Spending the 2013 developing the chassis, and then probably Ross Brawn will come up a move like 2009 and helped Jenson on his championship season. Given there will be a major regulation change in 2014.

But, I think LH won't stay forever, he will either move back to McLaren or Ferrari if Alonso ever retires.
      09-28-2012, 08:23 AM   #26
Boostin FD
Bored all the time
United_States
Rep
Drives: Batmobile

I'm just sad to see Schumi go... F1 is not an F1 without Michael... Even though he didn't have much luck, I still enjoyed watching him Crash into other drivers
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 08:26 AM   #27
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

It's official. WOW! I knew all the signs were pointing to this, but this is a MAJOR change in the grid.

It's interesting to note that Mercedes also signed the Concorde agreement - which means they will be in F1 for the long term. That's probably what motivated Hamilton to switch teams. That, and Mercedes probably have a great set up for next year.

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2012/0...-for-mercedes/
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 08:36 AM   #28
3erdriver
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: _

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck360198 View Post
I don't see how he CAN stay with McLaren. That relationship is so tarnished with Lewis' tirades. He acts like a Diva.
It'll be interesting for sure. I'm anxious to hear him moan and cry about being in the 4-6 finishing spots. As close at Mercedes is, McLaren, Red Bull and Ferrari are likely going to be ahead for the foreseeable future. He should have got the humility back from his rookie year, shut up and kept with McLaren.

I really liked him but he's really got to be drama in the last 18-24 months, it's too bad.
      09-28-2012, 09:26 AM   #29
F1-fanatic
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
Agree. He is like a spoiled brat most times. If he moves away from a top team like McLeran, he will fade away which is fine with me. (Him and his family entourage)
Am I the only one who looks forward to seeing Nicole Scherzinger in the paddock at every race?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 09:27 AM   #30
3erdriver
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: _

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1-fanatic View Post
Am I the only one who looks forward to seeing Nicole Scherzinger in the paddock at every race?
i think so.
      09-28-2012, 09:45 AM   #31
ianbiz
Back in a BMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i Msport

Quote:
Yes. There are WAY hotter women in the paddock than her. im just sayin'
      09-28-2012, 10:06 AM   #32
F1-fanatic
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianbiz View Post
Yes. There are WAY hotter women in the paddock than her. im just sayin'
Well I'm not about to debate personal taste, other than to mention that she's regarded internationally as one of the most beautiful women in the world, but maybe someone needs to start a thread - rating the girlfriends of F1 drivers.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 10:27 AM   #33
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
...but maybe someone needs to start a thread - rating the girlfriends of F1 drivers.
^^

...only a matter of time now!
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 02:11 PM   #34
Itgb
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E91

My jaw dropped when I saw the news this morning. I've never really liked Hamilton's attitude and this decision just backs that up. He has his new management team telling him he's going to be a superstar with endorsement deals, more money, etc. from Mercedes. Except the fact that no one is going to care about him in a couple of years if he doesn't win anything with a non-proven team like Mercedes. It doesn't surprise me at all that Hamilton would turn his back on the people that have given him everything so far in his career.

On the other hand, good for Perez. He's made the most of his opportunity with Sauber to get himself into this position and he deserves it. I actually thought Di Resta had a shot at the McLaren seat with his Mercedes connection, but I guess he's been outshined by Perez for most of the year. Now what will Ferrari do with Massa's seat?

Last edited by Itgb; 09-28-2012 at 02:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 02:21 PM   #35
EINSER M
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i3 rex

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itgb View Post
Now what will Ferrari do with Massa's seat?
burn it
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 02:26 PM   #36
F1-fanatic
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Now what will Ferrari do with Massa's seat?
Is there any possibility that Schumacher will take back the Ferrari seat?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 02:50 PM   #37
justinnum1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport 6mt

Big lewis fan, he had to leave mclaren, that team is a joke with their strategy. But mercedes cars suck. Should be interesting.
      09-28-2012, 03:31 PM   #38
phrozen06
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328it, RIP M3, E46 Sold

Quote:
Is there any possibility that Schumacher will take back the Ferrari seat?
I think Schumi will end up back in the DTM and piss off Ralph. LOL.
      09-28-2012, 04:16 PM   #39
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
My jaw dropped when I saw the news this morning. I've never really liked Hamilton's attitude and this decision just backs that up. He has his new management team telling him he's going to be a superstar with endorsement deals, more money, etc. from Mercedes. Except the fact that no one is going to care about him in a couple of years if he doesn't win anything with a non-proven team like Mercedes. It doesn't surprise me at all that Hamilton would turn his back on the people that have given him everything so far in his career.

On the other hand, good for Perez. He's made the most of his opportunity with Sauber to get himself into this position and he deserves it. I actually thought Di Resta had a shot at the McLaren seat with his Mercedes connection, but I guess he's been outshined by Perez for most of the year. Now what will Ferrari do with Massa's seat?
My guess is that Di Resta will move to Ferrari to replace Massa. I don't see any other good replacements, at least for 2013.

I think by not signing Perez, Ferrari are basically indicating that they want Vettel in '14.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 08:06 PM   #40
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo M3 View Post
My guess is that Di Resta will move to Ferrari to replace Massa. I don't see any other good replacements, at least for 2013.

I think by not signing Perez, Ferrari are basically indicating that they want Vettel in '14.
They could just tough out one more season with Massa, to set up for a bid at Vettel. Eventhough Massa should have been out of the sport a while ago.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2012, 12:49 AM   #41
Timujin
Major
Rep
Drives: GMC Sierra

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
It is time for change. The GP2 terrors are on the same team again. Whatever you say about H.A.M. he is a talent and Ross will get his arse straight.

BTW he needs to kick Nicole to da curb. He was better before her old ass showed up no offense.
      09-29-2012, 02:51 AM   #42
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

Quote:
It doesn't surprise me at all that Hamilton would turn his back on the people that have given him everything so far in his career.
I've been seeing a lot of poeple saying he has turned his back, betrayed, etc. Regardless of your opinion of the move, this line of thought is a bit ridiculous. In your mind, was he forever locked to only drive with McLaren? What about when McLaren are ready to dump him, can he not go anywhere else? Or only when they feel they've had their fill of him is he allowed to finally leave?

He gave McLaren their first WDC after a 10 year dry-spell, as well as a number of wins and good runs at the championship. And has driven for the team for 5 years in F1. Like/dislike McLaren, like/dislike Hamilton, but neither owe each other anything. That is what the contracts are for. Don't forget that this is a business and sentiment, while maybe a pleasant notion, has no place in the paddock.

In the same thought, is Perez turning his back on Ferrari for going off and signing up with McLaren? The answer is obviously no.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2012, 06:08 AM   #43
doc19
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
I've been seeing a lot of poeple saying he has turned his back, betrayed, etc. Regardless of your opinion of the move, this line of thought is a bit ridiculous. In your mind, was he forever locked to only drive with McLaren? What about when McLaren are ready to dump him, can he not go anywhere else? Or only when they feel they've had their fill of him is he allowed to finally leave?

He gave McLaren their first WDC after a 10 year dry-spell, as well as a number of wins and good runs at the championship. And has driven for the team for 5 years in F1. Like/dislike McLaren, like/dislike Hamilton, but neither owe each other anything. That is what the contracts are for. Don't forget that this is a business and sentiment, while maybe a pleasant notion, has no place in the paddock.

In the same thought, is Perez turning his back on Ferrari for going off and signing up with McLaren? The answer is obviously no.
+1 Totally agree
      09-29-2012, 06:57 AM   #44
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post

+1

Wish him best of luck on everything!!!
F1 moves on, regardless good decision or not.