E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Photo/Video/Media Gallery > Mellow Yellow's E90 Build

01-02-2016, 03:36 PM   #1
Mellow Yellow
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Mellow Yellow's E90 Build

Hi everyone. First off let me say this is the very first build thread I’ve ever done. I’m new to the BMW scene. I picked up my 08 335i in July. I attempted to leave it stock but the mod bug didn’t take long to set in. My last 2 cars was an 06 Mustang GT with a Whipple supercharger and many other mods. I tracked it quite often with a best time of 11.65. I was in the middle to doing a 5.4 build that I wanted to twin turbo but it got cut short when a power seat motor shorted in the middle of the night and burnt the inside which totaled the car.

After that I moved to a 2003 Corvette. It was another fun car. I sold it before I got the 335 because we had a kid on the way who was just born this week.

Anyway, like I said I picked up the 335i in July from a small dealer. To be honest, I was never a BMW fan until I test drove one at carmax and I fell in love. The car I bought had 63k miles with the sports package. It also already had a HKS exhaust installed. Once I got it home I found a receipt in the glove box for a Dinan Stage 2 flash.

The first “mod” I did was the ashtray delete. Being a former smoker, it bugged me to see the ashtray day in and day out.

My next minor mod was a gloss black kidney grill. I went back and forth on this for a while. I couldn’t decide if I wanted to do a white and black theme or not. I still haven’t decided but the grill looks way better now anyway.

I first changed the spark plugs for good measure then I started with the FBO mods. My first purchase was an Ultimate Racing intake.

My next mod was a new Evolution Racewerks chargepipe with a Tial BOV. I got one with a meth bung built in just in case but don’t actually plan on running meth.

Next came the ER FMIC. This was a huge hassle. I purchased it off a member here who stated it was for an automatic. Ive always done all my own mechanical work but once I spent 7 hours over the course of 2 days on the install, I gave Fred @ ER a call and sent him pictures. He told me it was for a manual and allowed me to send in the FMIC and they swapped the endtank out for the proper piping. He also swapped the lower chargepipe because I made the mistake or telling him I was using a long upper. Once I got the FMIC back, it took me about 3 more hours of install when I finally realized what was wrong. I ordered another ER CP but this time the long version and all is well.

My next purchase is a set of VRSF ceramic coated downpipes. They are not installed yet. With registration due in April, I will be smogging the car within the next few weeks after which I will be installing these.

Bought some Blackline tails. Love them so much more!

Custom plates finally in!

One thing I really wanted appearance wise was a highkick CSL trunk. I was finally able to make a deal on a local one. It’s a Karbonwerke. Even though Im still debating the white and black theme, Im not a fan of the paint scheme. After some emailing back and forth, looks like I will be taking it to LTMW for paint. Im trying to get all paint work done at one shot. Ive already decided on an Mtec rear bumper and M3 side skirts. Im up in the air between a 1M or and M3 front and am also debating M3 front fenders.

Other mods Im looking to do rather quickly is an MMP turbo outlet. Mainly because I punched a little hole in my OEM trying to get a clamp off during the FMIC install. No boost loss now but I don't want to risk it once I up the boost. Also looking at getting a set of LUX E90 V6. Id really love to do a set of OSS lights but I cant justify the cost. I will also be going in for a Walnut blast pretty shortly. Ive already purchased MHD flasher to use rather than the Dinan flash. I'll do the stage 2+ flash once the downpipe are installed.

Let me know what you guys think so far! Id love to hear comments! Thanks!

Last edited by Mellow Yellow; 01-02-2016 at 03:43 PM..
Appreciate 3
Jairomvp120.00
      01-02-2016, 03:37 PM   #2
Mellow Yellow
Second Lieutenant
Rep

1/10/16
Installed some BMW cowl filters todayou. Engine bay looks a bit better but I'm still up in the air about the noise. Here's a before and after

Also received my Lux V6 today. I'll install them sometime this week. Placed my pre-order for MMP outlets. Also bought a used HFS 4 meth kit and tank today. I really didn't have meth in mind but after seeing all the benefits, it changed my mind. Pics below are from the sell. I'll install this after the smog check.

1/11/16
Got the Lux V6 installed. Looks great!

Top is before:

Bottom is before

Update: 3/5/16

Bad news: UPS lost my HFS4 kit. But the buyer refunded me. I got pushed off the MMP outlets preorder since there weren't enough kits. Then I got in on the silicone preorder that was cancelled, now I'm back on the order for the aluminum kit. No idea when they will ship.

Good news: Finally got my trunk painted and installed along with an M3 front bumper and Mtech rear. Added a carbon fiber front lip to it as well.

Also added BMW performance alcantara shift knob and boot and ebrake.

Update: 4/1/16

Finally got around to a few things. Couldn't get any of the coding stuff properly installed on my computer so I ended up getting the Carly app. 10x easier. Wish I would have started there to begin with. Coded out the stupid orange light in the headlight, turned on daytime running light, turned off the seatbelt chime and the digital speedometer along with some other things.

Finally got the VRSF downpipes and MMP outlets installed. It definitely was some work but the car feels good now. I'm still on the Dinan stage 2 tune but I'll be switching over the MHD this weekend.

Stock outlet that I put a hole thru during the fmic install

Stockers vs VRSF

MMP outlets during the install

Update: 4/24/16

Turns out the front turbo coupler wasn't totally secure from the outlet install. The manifold put a pretty good hole in it. MMP was very quick to send me a replacement. Now all is well.

During the downtime I decided to order a Boost Addictions differential lock down brace. Install only took a few minutes.

Also finally got rid of the Dinan tune. I flashed MHD stage 2 version 5, now I went to 6. Unfortunately, I think I may have a Boost leak. The turbos are slow to spool and only seem to hit 20 psi on occasion, never under WOT

My favorite upgrade over the past month is my Dynavin N6. It's great to finally stream Bluetooth music. It looks great too!

Update: 7/23/16

It's been a while since I've updated this thread. We bought our first house and closed at the beginning of this month so car mods had to be paused during the process. Now that that's over, I've bought some good stuff. Picked up a quiafe LSD for the car along with some Delrin Subframe And Diff Bushings. Bought a set of MMP stage 3 turbos and inlets along with a fuel it stage 3 and PI kit. Also finally got an HFS kot. I don't have e85 readily available so I'm looking to run pump and meth daily and e85 on track days. On to the pictures

Christmas in July

Quaife LSD and Delrin bushings

Aquamist HFS4

My turbos being built. Went with the WPC treatment as well

Fuel it stage 3 LPFP and Port injection

Stage 3 LPFP on left vs stocker on right

Update: 9/12/16
I made another thread in this but figured I should actually post it in my build. Got my new wheels on! I'm loving it! Fronts rub on dips so I just ordered some Ground Control camber plates to see if that'll help. Fenders are already rolled. I also added some Matt Schnell wheel stud.

Forgestar F14 SDC
Front 19x9.5 et22 245/35
Rear 19x11 et20 275/30

Last edited by Mellow Yellow; 09-16-2016 at 07:30 PM..
Appreciate 1
Jairomvp120.00
      01-02-2016, 03:38 PM   #3
Mellow Yellow
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Reserved...
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 03:39 PM   #4
Mellow Yellow
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Also Reserved
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 04:07 PM   #5
e92_boost
Captain
Rep
Drives: Smart Car

Can't wait to see how this turns out
Welcome aboard
      01-02-2016, 04:25 PM   #6
Alen E90
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328i TiAg

Congrats on the car, she's coming along great. I like the mods that you've already got planned. However, I would suggest not getting the M3 fenders. Can't wait to see the rest of your mods!

Thanks for sharing!

TiAg FTW!
Appreciate 1
      01-02-2016, 08:19 PM   #7
BrandJas18
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 328I 6MT Sport Wagon

This thread is off to a great start! Keep it up.
Appreciate 1
      01-02-2016, 08:24 PM   #8
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 335 e93

But, it's not yellow. Lol. Good stuff. Keep it up.
Appreciate 3
BKBMW335I156.50
6ixSpd6014.50
      01-02-2016, 08:49 PM   #9
Mellow Yellow
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92_boost View Post
Can't wait to see how this turns out
Welcome aboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandJas18 View Post
This thread is off to a great start! Keep it up.
Thanks guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alen E90 View Post
Congrats on the car, she's coming along great. I like the mods that you've already got planned. However, I would suggest not getting the M3 fenders. Can't wait to see the rest of your mods!

Thanks for sharing!
Thanks! Yeah Im still debating on the fenders, replicas of course. Am I correct in thinking the replicas are stock width where true m3 fenders are wider?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundguy1 View Post
But, it's not yellow. Lol. Good stuff. Keep it up.
But it's not yellow...yet...never know! I am guilty of Google imaging some yellow e90s lol I grew up in Orlando btw, Casselberry tof be exact. Left 10 years ago after I joined the Marine Corps. I'm out now but live out in Cali. I do miss Orlando though
Appreciate 1
BKBMW335I156.50
      01-02-2016, 08:54 PM   #10
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep

Cool. I'm in windermere. Going for high 10s with my vert. PSI in winter Park is doing the install now as we speak. No state income taxes, weird repressive gun laws, or car inspections. Gotta love it.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 09:08 PM   #11
Alen E90
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328i TiAg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellow Yellow View Post
Thanks guys!

Thanks! Yeah Im still debating on the fenders, replicas of course. Am I correct in thinking the replicas are stock width where true m3 fenders are wider?

But it's not yellow...yet...never know! I am guilty of Google imaging some yellow e90s lol I grew up in Orlando btw, Casselberry tof be exact. Left 10 years ago after I joined the Marine Corps. I'm out now but live out in Cali. I do miss Orlando though
Yes replica fenders would not be wide like the OEM M3 fenders. Btw you can always wrap your car yellow

TiAg FTW!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2016, 10:19 AM   #12
Mellow Yellow
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundguy1 View Post
Cool. I'm in windermere. Going for high 10s with my vert. PSI in winter Park is doing the install now as we speak. No state income taxes, weird repressive gun laws, or car inspections. Gotta love it.
Nice. I actually just saw everything you are throwing at her on another thread. I actually think it was the outlet thread. It's gonna be sick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alen E90 View Post
Yes replica fenders would not be wide like the OEM M3 fenders. Btw you can always wrap your car yellow
Yeah a full yellow wrap would be awesome. Maybe I'll aim for that before a turbo upgrade. I do love more horsepower though
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2016, 10:43 AM   #13
stashtrey
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 335xi TiAg

Garage List
Love the new plate?! 2SNAILS...awesome!
Appreciate 1
      01-03-2016, 10:58 AM   #14
Mellow Yellow
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stashtrey View Post
Love the new plate?! 2SNAILS...awesome!
Thanks man!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2016, 11:00 AM   #15
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellow Yellow View Post
Nice. I actually just saw everything you are throwing at her on another thread. I actually think it was the outlet thread. It's gonna be sick

Yeah a full yellow wrap would be awesome. Maybe I'll aim for that before a turbo upgrade. I do love more horsepower though
Thx. Hope so.
Appreciate 1
      01-03-2016, 01:25 PM   #16
Manberg
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 335i

Looks good man!
M-Sport, 6MT, PPK, JB4 ISO + Rev.3, VRSF 7'' FMIC, VRSF Catless DP, BMS Charge Pipe, MFactory LSD, Öhlins R&T, M3 Control Arms, Rogue 6MT Bushings, Remus Exhaust, Duke Dynamics CF Diffuser, Cyba Scoops, VMR VB3 19s, BMS Clucth Stop
Appreciate 1
      01-03-2016, 03:20 PM   #17
SMH
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i E90

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Your vette looked really clean, cant wait to see the e90 in yellow. But white looks really nice too.

IG: SMH_N55
Appreciate 1
      01-03-2016, 03:35 PM   #18
Mellow Yellow
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manberg View Post
Looks good man!
Thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMH View Post
Your vette looked really clean, cant wait to see the e90 in yellow. But white looks really nice too.
Thanks man! Yeah the Vette was fun. It had a baby cam, longtube headers and full exhaust, Intake and a tune. I swapped in c5 zo6 shocks with a c6 zo6 front sway bar, tsw nurburing with 305s in the back, slotted rotors with hawk pads. I loved that it was so light.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2016, 06:24 PM   #19
idratherbesurfing
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e90 335i Lci

Lets see you put that rear tire setup from the stang on here hahah!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2016, 06:31 PM   #20
LsuGeaux
The Regime
Rep
Drives: 3

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2016, 09:14 PM   #21
Mellow Yellow
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Lol I loved those tires. Def helped with traction from the 4.10 gears and a twin screw supercharger. I just tried to do a quick photoshop as a joke but my skills aren't up to par
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2016, 09:28 PM   #22
bokyo1987
Asleep
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Camry

Great start, op. You'll be hitting 11s in no time lol. Love the C5 by the way. My previous car was a Torch Red A4; intake, exhaust, tune made for a fun car.
Others sold: W204 C350, E90 330i, W-body Monte Carlo SS, etc.
Appreciate 1