E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Creaking Sounds: 2009 E90

03-04-2009, 06:51 PM   #23
methodtim
Brigadier General
Liechtenstein
Rep
Drives: Audi RS Q8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Brian View Post
Thanks! And yes, please let us know what they do and how it works out. I don't want to take mine in for a month or so (oil change) but it would be good to know what to expect.

Who is your dealer MT? Looks like you may be in the Bay Area.

Brian
I'll definitely update this thread. My dealership is BMW of Fremont. They're a bit out of the way for me, but they treated me really well during the purchasing process and so far so good on service. Knock on wood.
      03-04-2009, 06:52 PM   #24
methodtim
Brigadier General
Liechtenstein
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by averigualotu View Post
I also have the same problem.

Only door seals?
You might want to .

There are many things that could cause this and more than a few solutions were proposed. My experience so far at the dealer is that only the door seals are going to be replaced. I'll let you know if that resolves the issue.
      03-04-2009, 07:09 PM   #25
GreenThree
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90

Creaks

Alot. But not a gamechanger. It is a 3

My A4 creaked less. But by year three of the lease the backseat of the 4 creaked more than the bimmer

2015 335xi | Mineral Grey Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | NAV | SportLine | ZPP | ZDA | ZCW | Munich Build

Retired: 2008, 2011, 2013 328xi
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2009, 07:19 PM   #26
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

The rear sun shades and the door are driving me up the wall, they creak on every road. This has caused me to turn my Stereo on every time im in the thing. Should go to the dealer but ive been too lazy to book an appointment at my local, they probably wouldn't fix it and id rather not have the pleasure.

It seems that the only time i go there is when the car refuses to start or when i have a puncture.

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Murray View Post
Being a fan of Honda engines, I requested that they consider building for the F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up with a BMW engine.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2009, 07:33 PM   #27
E90Brian
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by methodtim View Post
I'll definitely update this thread. My dealership is BMW of Fremont. They're a bit out of the way for me, but they treated me really well during the purchasing process and so far so good on service. Knock on wood.
Great, thanks. Hope it goes well! Brian
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2009, 09:48 PM   #28
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

The issue is with the seals and the noise will come back if you replace them, so no point. Also, I don't trust dealers anymore when it comes to fixing rattles and noise related issues. They might fix one but will create another annoying one or they'll leaving something loose in the car and leave marks here and there.. Better to take care of it by yourself if there's no official technical service bulletin (TSB) for a fix from BMW.

I had the same issue and the dealer sprayed a seal lubricant which eliminated 80% of the noise. I've bought my own seal lubricant and whenever the seals creak, I simply apply it. Once you apply, you'll be golden for few months (maybe 5-6) depending on the weather and the noise might or might not come back. But if it does, it takes 2 mins. to apply it again.. so no problem!

Here are few threads that I was on, one for the door seal creak and others for the popping/cracking sound from the vent that might help you guys... You guys might not have that popping/cracking sound now but it will most likely emerge, that I can almost guarantee you since it's a known issue as well...

1. http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...350&highlight=
2. http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...983&highlight=
3. http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...244&highlight=

Try to go over all the links posted in these links as well, there's a DIY that you can follow for the popping/cracking sound in the vent. For the door seals, it's pretty simple - you just need to buy any good quality seal lubricant and apply it to your seals.

Good luck and keep us posted!
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2009, 05:08 PM   #29
methodtim
Brigadier General
Liechtenstein
Rep

Garage List
Ok, just got my car back this afternoon. Everything was in working order. I'm happy to report that the creaking is 95% gone. I can still hear a little creaking on my driver door, but it's absolutely nothing compared to the cacophony of creaks and squeaks that were there before.

It turns out that the door seals were not the culprit. They ended up placing felt tape on the "contact areas of door panels" (quoted from work invoice). I hope this resolves the issue, but realistically, it's probably just a temporary resolution. I think I'm going to go the DIY route the next time this happens and take deznium's advice on plugging further squeaks and rattles.
      03-05-2009, 08:29 PM   #30
E90Brian
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ok, just got my car back this afternoon. Everything was in working order. I'm happy to report that the creaking is 95% gone. I can still hear a little creaking on my driver door, but it's absolutely nothing compared to the cacophony of creaks and squeaks that were there before.

It turns out that the door seals were not the culprit. They ended up placing felt tape on the "contact areas of door panels" (quoted from work invoice). I hope this resolves the issue, but realistically, it's probably just a temporary resolution. I think I'm going to go the DIY route the next time this happens and take deznium's advice on plugging further squeaks and rattles.
MT, is this felt tape visible? Where exactly are the "contact areas"? What's the best tuna? Any way you could take some pix and show us? Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks! Brian

Last edited by E90Brian; 03-06-2009 at 12:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2009, 08:41 PM   #31
BORIZZZ
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Coupe

Quote:
Holy christ, I have this same issue. I swear that this sound is coming from one of my driver's side doors. I can't isolate it just yet, but it's definitely there. I'm very interested to see what the cause of this could be.

Do you want to be the guinea pig and take your car to the dealership?
Yeah, and the sound is driving you crazy!!!! I am the same way I had a similar sound on my old e46. It was coming from the leather touching the side door panel on the rear. I used my girlfriend's chopstick I got some in between and no sound was ever heard. Try getting some on the parts that rub on each other. It is a dumb thing but it drove me crazzzzzy!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2009, 08:42 PM   #32
3er858
First Class Privates
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW F10, CW Mk6, 1299S

So far no creaks in my '09.... maybe that's because my music is always turned up... Next time I drive my car I'll see if I hear anything!

LTMW | Velgen VBM6| V12's | CKS coilovers | wrapped roof | wrapped mirror caps | wrapped door handles | Gloss Black Grills | M5 rear Lip
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2009, 09:57 PM   #33
methodtim
Brigadier General
Liechtenstein
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
MT, is this felt tape visible? Where exactly are the "contact areas"? What's the best tuna? Any way you cold take some pix and show us? Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks! Brian
I had a feeling you'd ask for pics.

I'll go poking around tomorrow to see where they installed it. By the description of the work invoice, it looks like they took all the door panels off and did some work in there. I'm thinking that they probably stuck some felt where the panels attach to the door frame. I shall look tomorrow and report back forthwith.
      03-05-2009, 10:27 PM   #34
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep

Trust me, it is the door seals (believe it or not)... Because of the slight weather change going on in San Diego (transition from winter to summer), my door seals started to squeak again. Just today morning, I sprayed Wurth's rubber care, then wiped the door seals with a cotton cloth and now the squeaks are 95% gone. My car is silent like anything. I do here the seals squeak once in a while if I only go over some REALLY bad bumps, but mostly the doors are quiet after spraying/wiping Wurth. The sound will mostly come back in a 4-5 months depending on weather, but you can re-spray the seals again. It takes about couple of minutes.... If you replace the door seals, the squeaks will mostly come back again since it's a known BMW (and probably other car manufacturers) issue. Some BMW door seals might squeak more than others depending on climate changes, location, etc...

You can buy any of these products, both will work fine:
1. http://www.autogeek.net/wurth-rubber-care.html
2. http://www.properautocare.com/wurucaa.html

Wurth is one of the best companies to buy this product from. Another good company that you can also buy from is 1Z: http://www.autogeek.net/1z-einszett-...are-stick.html

You can also buy similar products from other companies, but make sure they have no silicone oils (i.e. dry silica).

The products that I recommended are from Germany so quality-wise they are really good (as we know the Germans make good stuff )..

Enjoy the car!!
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2009, 10:39 PM   #35
methodtim
Brigadier General
Liechtenstein
Rep

Garage List
Dez,

Thanks for all the info - much appreciated. I have one minor quibble. This door squeak thing is definitely a bmw thing as none of my Hondas, Toyotas, or even my wife's Mini has it. Again, minor nit for a minor issue (it definitely beats a bad HPFP). Thanks again.
      03-06-2009, 12:37 AM   #36
E90Brian
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I had a feeling you'd ask for pics.

I'll go poking around tomorrow to see where they installed it. By the description of the work invoice, it looks like they took all the door panels off and did some work in there. I'm thinking that they probably stuck some felt where the panels attach to the door frame. I shall look tomorrow and report back forthwith.
MT -- Sorry to be so predictable (and pardon that typo in my last post).

Based on the additional info you provided above, I think I have a better idea of what Fremont BMW may have done. Given that, you may not even see any visible tape but, if so, please let us know where it was applied.

I wonder if they applied any rubber care product as well and just didn't mention it. I have some original BMW Gummi-Pflege (had to go out to the garage to ensure for correct spelling) and some Zymol Seal that I may try this weekend. I'll also hit the painted parts that contact the rubber seals with either some Zymol wax or Zaino (as was suggested earlier).

But, given what Fremont BMW did to your car, I feel there's a good chance that my door panels are causing at least some of my squeaks/creaks. Given the noise level in my car, I'd be surprised if it's only the seals.

Thanks again for shedding light on this issue and one dealer's solution.

Brian
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2009, 03:17 AM   #37
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep

You're right, it's mainly a BMW rubber-seal issue. My previous car, which was an Acura, didn't have this but had tons of other rattles/squeaks though!

One question -- Do you guys notice the rear parcel/hat shelf make a soft thud noise while going over bumps? I'm not talking about the cracking/popping sound from the vent area but a sound that *sounds* like the whole back part (parcel/hat shelf) just rubs against the car's body (interior) when you go over some rough surface or bumps.. Is this normal? It may not be obvious straight away but in my car it's there..

Thanks!
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2009, 11:44 AM   #38
methodtim
Brigadier General
Liechtenstein
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Based on the additional info you provided above, I think I have a better idea of what Fremont BMW may have done. Given that, you may not even see any visible tape but, if so, please let us know where it was applied.

But, given what Fremont BMW did to your car, I feel there's a good chance that my door panels are causing at least some of my squeaks/creaks. Given the noise level in my car, I'd be surprised if it's only the seals.
Brian,

I checked all four doors this morning and there's no visible felt/teflon/tape of any sort. I'm pretty sure that whatever they did, it was to the inside of the door panels.

Like I said before, I'm sure that this is just a temporary solution. In fact, I'm already starting to hear some creaks when I hit bumps. Thankfully, it's nowhere near as bad as before (let's say that before was a 10/10, these creaks are really a 1/10 and if I wasn't so damn OCD, I probably wouldn't even notice). I'm not too eager to have the dealership tear open my door panels on a regular basis, so if this noise does come back, I'm just gonna shove some Dynamat in the damn thing (I kid, I kid... sort of).

Quote:
I wonder if they applied any rubber care product as well and just didn't mention it. I have some original BMW Gummi-Pflege (had to go out to the garage to ensure for correct spelling) and some Zymol Seal that I may try this weekend. I'll also hit the painted parts that contact the rubber seals with either some Zymol wax or Zaino (as was suggested earlier).
The work invoice was pretty detailed. They said that they uninstalled the door seals and inspected them and found no damage, then they applied felt. I wouldn't be surprised if they sprayed, rubbed, massaged some other stuff in there just to make the noise disappear. Whatever they did, it was effective.
      03-06-2009, 01:20 PM   #39
E90Brian
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Brian,

I checked all four doors this morning and there's no visible felt/teflon/tape of any sort. I'm pretty sure that whatever they did, it was to the inside of the door panels.

Like I said before, I'm sure that this is just a temporary solution. In fact, I'm already starting to hear some creaks when I hit bumps. Thankfully, it's nowhere near as bad as before (let's say that before was a 10/10, these creaks are really a 1/10 and if I wasn't so damn OCD, I probably wouldn't even notice). I'm not too eager to have the dealership tear open my door panels on a regular basis, so if this noise does come back, I'm just gonna shove some Dynamat in the damn thing (I kid, I kid... sort of).

The work invoice was pretty detailed. They said that they uninstalled the door seals and inspected them and found no damage, then they applied felt. I wouldn't be surprised if they sprayed, rubbed, massaged some other stuff in there just to make the noise disappear. Whatever they did, it was effective.
Tim,

Thanks much for your follow through on this issue. Like I said, I think I'll try some rubber care then, at my first opportunity, get the car to the dealer. I'm closest to (and bought the car from) Concord BMW, but I may trek down to Fremont as a good friend of mine works there.

Here's to fewer noises in the future,
Brian
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2009, 02:16 PM   #40
digivue
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshwhite335 View Post
welcome to 3 series ownership
I love this, very true
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2009, 11:26 PM   #41
ilidon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F13 M6

Garage List
2009 335i  [7.00]
one thing you could check too is the adjusting knob for the A/C vents. i had creaking too before and once wondered where it came. i first thought it was coming from the rubber sealant in the driver side door panel but after moving the vent knob, there it is, squeaking. went to the dealer, have it lubricated and now its gone. before anything else check all the vent knobs too and try to hear if its squeaking.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2009, 12:24 AM   #42
328idogg
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i Sedan w/Sport Pkg

I had the same problem (http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=231670) and solved it by applying RejeX to the shadowline trim and Vinylex to the rubber/felt trim on the door. If you don't have RejeX, I'm guessing that a high-quality wax will probably work as well. So far, so good - haven't heard a creak since I applied it and it's been a few weeks now.
      03-09-2009, 10:53 PM   #43
Firedog335i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Garage List
2008 E90/335i  [0.00]
Wow, I can't believe the issues you guys are having. I'm surprised. Didn't expect it from BMW. Guess I know what to look for down the road.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2009, 11:04 PM   #44
methodtim
Brigadier General
Liechtenstein
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firedog335i View Post
Wow, I can't believe the issues you guys are having. I'm surprised. Didn't expect it from BMW. Guess I know what to look for down the road.
Yeah, shit happens. It's no Accord or Camry.