E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Parapaul's ICE build thread

11-02-2012, 06:19 PM   #1
parapaul
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330d M Sport

Garage List
Cool Parapaul's ICE build thread

After what seems like a very long time, it's my turn to start upgrading

What I have at the moment:

2007 E91, Professional HU with iDrive

Incoming kit:

Ground Zero shallow mount 4" components

Ground Zero 8" Shallow Mount subs

With install adaptors

Everyone knows there's a limited choice of speakers that will fit, as both the speakers and the subs have to be shallow mount. These are, and the specs look good, so I'm happy to try them, especially given that the components are half the price of the Focals and Rainbows.

On the basis of cost AND simplicity, I decided NOT to recode the stereo, and to instead go for a JL Cleansweep. Found one on eBay from a car audio place in the US. Even with UPS shipping charges it's half the price of anywhere here in the UK.

Because the Cleansweep outputs a 'normal' signal, I had my choice of amp. The biggest limiting factor is the space under the boot floor, specifically the depth. Add the power requirements of the speakers into that mix and the choice narrows down even more. I've had very good experiences with SPL Dynamics kit in a previous install, so I'm happy giving this amp a whirl.

Add in a bunch of wires and that makes a very exciting parcel headed my way this week! Not sure when I'll get the chance to install it, but I've read pretty much all the other DIYs on here, I'm happy with what I'm doing, so it should be fairly straightforward.

I'll keep the thread updated with progress as and when I make it
      11-02-2012, 06:51 PM   #2
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36

Subscribed

When should we expect the results?
      11-02-2012, 07:50 PM   #3
macck
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 msport

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-4-FRON...item2c6906ec08These will save you a bit of time installing your door speakers. As your bmw speakers are 3 hole and your new mids are 4 hole mounting. I had to get mine from america wish these were available at the time.

blackchrome csl,s // eibach pro kit //bitstein B4s// shortened bumpstops//front and rear brembo performance brakes// jbl ms8//focal 100krs// rainbow dlx5 centre, rear//jenhert xe200//cas audio corner loaded sub// jl10v3 sub// jl xd500/3 xd400/4// technic harness// 808mguy adapters
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 08:19 PM   #4
parapaul
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
Subscribed

When should we expect the results?
Hopefully next couple of weeks. I may have to do it in stages, depending on shifts at work and the weather when I'm off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by macck View Post
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-4-FRON...item2c6906ec08These will save you a bit of time installing your door speakers. As your bmw speakers are 3 hole and your new mids are 4 hole mounting. I had to get mine from america wish these were available at the time.
Cheers - I'd planned to make my own from MDF for a lot less than that. Nothing like a bit of woodwork to make a chap feel manly and for what it's doing, will be plenty rigid enough.
      11-03-2012, 04:12 AM   #5
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D Pre-LCI | E63 M6 V10

Subscribed!
      11-03-2012, 05:01 AM   #6
Mr Singh
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330D M Sport Auto

Someones been shopping at CAD. There one of my dealers, good bunch of lads
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 05:50 AM   #7
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by parapaul View Post
Hopefully next couple of weeks. I may have to do it in stages, depending on shifts at work and the weather when I'm off!

Great, looking forward to read your reviews especially on clean sweep.

I have read few reviews on the ground zero subs, but those reviews are not satisfactory.
So looking forward to see yours reviews.

If weather allows, then XD600/6 is going in my car tomorrow.

And in few weeks, rear sub modification.

Last edited by makkan00; 11-03-2012 at 02:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 05:54 AM   #8
106turbo
Boost Junkie
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 106 Gti T

I will be following this closely! Make sure you take plenty of pics.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 02:12 PM   #9
parapaul
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
I have read few reviews on the ground zero subs, but those reviews are not satisfactory.
So looking forward to see yours reviews.
To be honest, I found virtually nothing when looking for reviews. I've gone for these on the basis of their specs - the subs and components should complement each other well as a matched set and the amp is more than capable of driving them all.

I know what my music should sound like with a good setup, so hopefully I'll be able to give a balanced view. Even if it's not great though, it HAS to be better than the stock setup!
      11-03-2012, 02:43 PM   #10
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by parapaul View Post
To be honest, I found virtually nothing when looking for reviews. I've gone for these on the basis of their specs - the subs and components should complement each other well as a matched set and the amp is more than capable of driving them all.

I know what my music should sound like with a good setup, so hopefully I'll be able to give a balanced view. Even if it's not great though, it HAS to be better than the stock setup!
Paul
They will be really good compared to OEM drivers.

And hopefully you will write a extensive review on these. I am also looking forward to hear your comments on JL clean sweep.
      11-03-2012, 03:13 PM   #11
mistryn
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D

Look foward to reading the thread build. Just out of interest are you going to be using a wiring harness, if so which one?

I am waiting to do upgrade mine as well but just finding time is difficult and then now the days are shorter I cant work on mine even after work as its pitch black when i get home

I am totally with you re making your own spacer mdf rings, if i do decide to go down the components route I will be making my own. What thickness mdf will you use? I was maybe thinking 3mm?
Although my upgrade is not big -
I plan to install a JL Xd400 amp in the boot to run logic 7 speakers up front and L7 underseat subs. Then if funds allow upgrade to components - the mounting depth is annoying me as it is limiting my choice.
Do you think it would be possible to squeeze a 5" speaker into the door card with slight modification?

Maybe look to adding another amp run a sub in the boot/custom box build through ski hatch early next year (thats if I can get my cousin to design me one)

Like with the other audio build threads , keep them updated guys as it gives novices like myself some excellent information about different possibilities with upgrades
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 05:50 PM   #12
Cyprio
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi S4 B/Edition

Deffo interested in this build!

Parapaul, how much did this little lot cost?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 07:23 PM   #13
parapaul
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistryn View Post
Look foward to reading the thread build. Just out of interest are you going to be using a wiring harness, if so which one?
No, no harness. I'll just run speaker wires from the joint in the OE loom near the front door to the Cleansweep, RCAs from the Cleansweep to the amp, then more speaker wires from the amp back to the speakers. Power wires I'll sort out direct from the battery in the boot,

Quote:
I am totally with you re making your own spacer mdf rings, if i do decide to go down the components route I will be making my own. What thickness mdf will you use? I was maybe thinking 3mm?
I would think 3mm will be too thin - I have a sheet of 6mm and I'm hoping that will be about enough. I'm not sure how long the threads are on the OE speaker mounting bolts, I may be able to use 9 or 12mm which would be better.

Quote:
Do you think it would be possible to squeeze a 5" speaker into the door card with slight modification?
I wondered the same - I think you could probably get away with the diameter, it's the mounting depth that's going to be an issue.

Quote:
Like with the other audio build threads , keep them updated guys as it gives novices like myself some excellent information about different possibilities with upgrades
It's a pet hate of mine, if I'm desperately looking for an answer on the internet, to find a forum thread by someone who had the exact same issue and never came back with an answer. I'll be back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyprio View Post
Deffo interested in this build!

Parapaul, how much did this little lot cost?
A lot less than some others!

Comps £100
Subs £100 each
Adaptors £20 each
Amp £170
Cleansweep £180
Wires etc £40

So £750 give or take... easily the most I've spent on any install, and I've done quite a few!

The other option was to recode the HU, do without the Cleansweep and use a JL amp. That was £100ish for coding and a smidge over £200 for the smallest JL amp, the JX360/4 - which TBH I didn't feel was powerful enough to drive the subs properly, it was only 70WRMS per channel, and the subs are rated at 100.
      11-03-2012, 10:18 PM   #14
spirocheter
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F11 535d, E90 335d

Subscribed

I've never attempted any ICE install, but I have looked at professional installs, only to be put be off by exorbitant pricing. I'm sure this will represent. Serious upgrade from stock, good luck with progress.

I keep looking at the weather, hoping for an improved forecast before I bother topping up my winter detail, which thanks to our local farmers, seems to need completely renewing after only three weeks despite fk1000p wax
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 03:28 AM   #15
Cyprio
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for the info Parapaul.

Looks a nice amp you've got there.

I take it you're drilling a hole in the front door mouldings to fit the tweeters?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 04:59 AM   #16
mistryn
Colonel
Rep

Thanks for the reply it will be interesting to read your review on the above kit after you have it installed.

With the spacer I think E90/91 is a bit more forgiving on the front speaker mounting depth whereas the E92 has a maximum 44mm mounting depth (somebody correct me if I am wrong). I may try to find some abs plastic sheeting that I had left over from another project that is 2/3mm in thickness but very strong.

I am going to be taking my door card off again to dynamat so I will take some measurements as to whether I can fit 5" comps which has a shallow mounting depth.

Are you going to be mounting the amp and cleansweep in the hole in the boot under the carpet?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 05:33 AM   #17
Hopeful
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 G01 30d 2018

No, no harness. I'll just run speaker wires from the joint in the OE loom near the front door to the Cleansweep, RCAs from the Cleansweep to the amp, then more speaker wires from the amp back to the speakers.

Does that mean that you'll be running speaker wires down the r-h side of the car? I had read that it can be noisy down there due to the power cable being there.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 07:40 AM   #18
Cyprio
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Singh View Post
Based on that makes our Gladen BMW ONE 3-way kit very competitivley priced (RRP £309) which is all plug and play.

I wouldn't have thought that you get much in the way of good quality kit for £309 surely.

A decent amp will cost upwards of £150 which doesn't leave much left for the remainder of the kit.

The alpine upgrade even if purchased in euros from Germany is around EU350 and that doesn't even come with the subs.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 07:43 AM   #19
Hopeful
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 G01 30d 2018

£309 is just for the speakers (6) and a crossover.

http://www.gladen.com/compo_coax.html#one scroll down to the ONE 200 BMW 3-ways.

Last edited by Hopeful; 11-04-2012 at 07:45 AM.. Reason: Added URL
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 07:50 AM   #20
Cyprio
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful View Post

http://www.gladen.com/compo_coax.html#one scroll down to the ONE 200 BMW 3-ways.
aah ok, I see what you mean - I didnt read Mr singh's post properly.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 11:01 AM   #21
mistryn
Colonel
Rep

Where do you find the prices for such items on the gladen website?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 12:32 PM   #22
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful View Post

£309 is price for
-Pair of tweeters
-mids for doors
-under seat drivers