E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > "safest" chip tune ?

08-28-2010, 03:19 AM   #67
s.myrr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 335i E90

Appreciate 0
      08-28-2010, 07:36 AM   #68
Kongen71
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M-Sport 2013

This thread is a disgrace to the tuning community – what a shame. Like me I guess 90% have no clue what you are talking about throwing technical statements around. On top of that it seems personally attacking each other is the best way of defense in most cases.

Focus on your own product and stop throwing mud at the competition – it’s sickening. We are all adults and will base our decisions individually on what we believe is right. State the facts and leave personal experience to the customer.

Like most on this forum I guess I’m excited about the next item on my bucket list – reading, researching and comparing until I finally make my decision and hit the “purchase” button makes my heart pound - just like standing next to a long time waiting challenge at the red light waiting for green (like I did yesterday SL55AMG and 996-4s – won against both btw ). Nothing beats that feeling.

Reading this thread totally destroys that fun – what a shame

Sorry for my English – it’s not my first language.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2010, 07:46 AM   #69
ducati955
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: lifted tacoma on 38's & ducati

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kongen71 View Post
This thread is a disgrace to the tuning community – what a shame. Like me I guess 90% have no clue what you are talking about throwing technical statements around. On top of that it seems personally attacking each other is the best way of defense in most cases.

Focus on your own product and stop throwing mud at the competition – it’s sickening. We are all adults and will base our decisions individually on what we believe is right. State the facts and leave personal experience to the customer.

Like most on this forum I guess I’m excited about the next item on my bucket list – reading, researching and comparing until I finally make my decision and hit the “purchase” button makes my heart pound - just like standing next to a long time waiting challenge at the red light waiting for green (like I did yesterday SL55AMG and 996-4s – won against both btw ). Nothing beats that feeling.

Reading this thread totally destroys that fun – what a shame

Sorry for my English – it’s not my first language.

i agree, what tune do u have bro?

NEW RIDE white GTR!
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2010, 07:51 AM   #70
CT_335i
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i Monaco Blue, E90

Quote:
On top of that it seems personally attacking each other is the best way of defense in most cases.
I do agree a little, but all of us here who are new to the 335i benefit when the older forum members who understand the history of the tunes post a little.

From my standpoint, tuning your own car is not something to be taken lightly. Cost really should not be an issue but the reliability/safety of the tune is key. Since the tunes are not OEM and do not undergo the rigorous statistical testing to understand the limits and issues, getting said tunes is risky.

When a salesperson sells products such as these, he/she better understand the product well. Throwing out terms that cause confusion (not because we as a collective lack intelligence but because we don't work in the performance car business) is misleading and doing a disservice to the customer.

We sometimes equate the use of these terms as 'knowledge' since we don't know better (See Madoff and all other Ponzi schemes). The persons who posted highlighted that they would prefer Terry to answer (which I agree) vs. Mike and highlighted no real ill malice towards the JB tune. I think that's good for us all and I support their actions.

Last edited by CT_335i; 08-28-2010 at 08:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2010, 08:20 AM   #71
wonsungnabi
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335

Quote:
+ 100000000
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2010, 08:47 AM   #72
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilma View Post
You guy's need to be careful about trying to tell Mike he is incompetent to be arguing at this level.

I posted yesterday about his failure to wire up a simple plug & play harness for me and this is how he responded:

"Whats your issue

I don't get the personal attack. I have done nothing but help you and you post this crap? First I am hearing of a wiring issue. If I miswired something why wouldn't you tell me but bring it up a year and a half later?

You really are unbelievable.

Mike"

I do understand how he feels about me for posting these things, but the point is it's time to give up this facade of pretending. That is why I am sharing my experiences. I find it completely incredible that someone who makes fundamental wiring mistakes and has to be told that the BT tool can only log stock boost levels, can then turn around and argue on these forums at the levels of an experienced programmer/tuner.

Those who know Mike, know that he does not have the depth of knowledge nor the background of a trained engineer or a tuner.

That is what my problem is.

I would much prefer that E90 reinstate Terry and let him debate directly rather than going through a proxy like Mike who obviously is not always Mike.
Classy like always Don..

Mike
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2010, 08:59 AM   #73
Kongen71
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M-Sport 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_335i View Post
I do agree a little, but all of us here who are new to the 335i benefit when the older forum members who understand the history of the tunes post a little.

From my standpoint, tuning your own car is not something to be taken lightly. Cost really should not be an issue but the reliability/safety of the tune is key. Since the tunes are not OEM and do not undergo the rigorous statistical testing to understand the limits and issues, getting said tunes is risky.

When a salesperson sells products such as these, he/she better understand the product well. Throwing out terms that cause confusion (not because we as a collective lack intelligence but because we don't work in the performance car business) is misleading and doing a disservice to the customer.

We sometimes equate the use of these terms as 'knowledge' since we don't know better (See Madoff and all other Ponzi schemes). The persons who posted highlighted that they would prefer Terry to answer (which I agree) vs. Mike and highlighted no real ill malice towards the JB tune. I think that's good for us all and I support their actions.
I agree with you and when it comes to selecting my next mod I rely more on the members feedback than the vendors. After selecting which way to go I'll rely on the vendor for technical support.

I also think it would benifit all on this forum if Terry would answer questions about he's own tune - ridiculous he needs to do it through third person. If just people would stop getting so personal
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2010, 09:13 AM   #74
Ilma
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Well I am quite willing to apologize to those who find my posts offensive, including of course Mike.

Like I said, I do understand how he feels, and I would feel the same way.

But he is different from the rest of us in that he is a vendor selling a competing product and as someone mentioned above, he bears the burden of credibility, whereas I am just a noob trying to understand these things like most of us here.

But I can't ignore my experiences with the BMS team and I can't say that I like the way they perpetuate this facade via Mike.

I know he means well, but I just don't feel it serves anyones interest to have a vendor with an enthusiasts background only, debating as if he is a tuner/engineer.

I have been following various aspects of these tunes for over a couple of years and the timing issue is still pretty fuzzy to me.

It would be nice to have some clarity and simplification rather than the market share protection agendas that the tuners engage in.

I thnk both sides have pieces of the puzzle and are right/wrong about certain aspects.

But I also know that is never going to happen with the vendors.

Which is why I try to learn things for myself and look to some of the obviously more informed members on here like Scalbert and a few others who obviously have solid backgrounds and qualifications........and others who obviously build engines for a living.

It's actually more about credibility than personality.

After all, if you needed surgery, would you go to a used car salesman?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2010, 09:16 AM   #75
EDM92
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Low&Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
Classy like always Don..

Mike

Montego Blue 2007 E92 335i - ZSP / ZPP / Steptronic / Logic7
Broadway Static - CCW - Megan - Orion
Instagram: bmwforlife
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2010, 10:31 AM   #76
fisherbln
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Wow, this thread went downhill fast. IBTL.
      08-28-2010, 11:13 AM   #77
cstavaru
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i M Sport Sedan 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
Not sure why mike is posting videos of a product that isn't yet available. And what's the point of showing timing advance without the ability to change it?
...the same point as showing the EGTs, for example ?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2010, 11:17 AM   #78
AltecBX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi Sedan; BMW M3 ZCP

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335Xi  [0.00]
EGT & IAT are temp readings. You can't change those unless you add intercooler or methanol.
AR Design Catless DP | BMS DCI + OCC | ETS 5 FMIC | Alpina B3 Trans Flash |235/265 19" Michelin PSS
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2010, 11:24 AM   #79
EastCoast335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 | 2008 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma1kmcn1 View Post
Nothing wants to make me buy a Procede or JB3 less than watching you two bicker back and forth like a couple of three year olds. What ever happened to professionalism?

Obviously that goes out the door when money is involved...
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2010, 11:45 AM   #80
CT_335i
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i Monaco Blue, E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalbert View Post
To all others. Terry (aka BMS) queried Shiv on the parameters of the original PROcede starting back in May of 2007 and even scoped a PROcede customer car to determine the resistor values in the fueling components. To the point of using the exact same resistors even though the ratio is just needed, not the actual values. Hence, the JB1 was born on or near July of 2007 with the JB2 coming out shortly thereafter. I would say that by most accounts, that is three years and not four. Point being, rounding should be done correctly.

There is more to the story but I don't care to go into it.
Read the above. This explains why both tuners get into a spat in threads.

Think about how you would feel if you were Vishnu.

Now think about where you want to be as a customer. Clearly one camp has more knowledge than the other, no?

Scalbert, thanks for this nugget of history.

If someone can refute this story, please step up.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2010, 01:33 PM   #81
wtfmateim65
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW 92 335i JB4

Dear BMS,
please actively adjust my timing as my JB3 injects steroids into my car.

I wish we could've just had Cobb Accessports for our cars, so much easier.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2010, 01:53 PM   #82
Forcefed3
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Garage List
2008 335i  [1.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianMN View Post
By the look of the well-educated people's posts above, it doesn't seem so stupid does it?
Can you read? I said i LIKE my jb3. But BOTH jb3 and procede are great. Get your shit straight and come with a new answer.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2010, 05:38 PM   #83
scrufy
Zoom Zoom This
United_States
Rep
Drives: The Short Bus

Where the hell is the popcorn icon when you need it?

The problem with Fanbois is you never get real information... Really pathetic as they dont understand the technology they have so their insecurity is more pronounced as they bow down to their favored vendor. just my opinion...
AND KUDOS TO kongen71 !

Last edited by scrufy; 08-28-2010 at 08:51 PM..
Appreciate 0