E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Coolant leak --- wet at bottom tray directly under headlight area

03-10-2013, 04:08 PM   #1
be-em-veh-808
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i Touring

Coolant leak --- wet at bottom tray directly under headlight area

My E91 2007 has 117K Miles. I've had low coolant warnings twice in the past year. First time I only had to fill less than a quart. the second time, seems like half a gallon.

I looked down the engine bay and noticed that there's wet (likely coolant) spots at the bottom panel/tray. This is almost directly under the headlights towards the very bottom of the car. Something is leaking. Could it be the water pump? Or just hoses/connections? I need to open the panel up and inspect.

Does the water pump begin to leak prior to failure? Or does it just stop working?

I have not yet had high temp warnings. I'm very nervous because my daily commute is ~ 45 miles (1.5 hrs) each way on LA freeways.

Much thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 01:29 AM   #2
humbertob
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 BMW M235i

Probably the coolant hoses, I don't think this is an alert for a faulty water pump, the water pump usually fails and the car goes into limp mode, without any advice, with that mileage I bet more than half of your coolant system hoses are shot !
'15 F30 335i M-Sport | Son's
'10 Porsche Boxster
Appreciate 0