E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Best mods to a N54 for the price?!

12-08-2011, 11:29 PM   #1
brady2268
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2005 330ci Dinan 3

Question Best mods to a N54 for the price?!

Hey guys I am new on this forum, but Im a member on E46fanatics. I have a 2005 AW 330ci DINAN 3 with a lot done to it, but I am trying to sell my car and buy a certified N54 335i and was wondering what are some mods that arent going to break the bank, but yet are still beneficial. I've looked into exhaust, tunes, downpipes, and intakes but thought Id ask everyone to see what products yall like the best. So far I have noticed people like the JB4 tune over others, AR or VRSF catless DP's, and then of course exhaust is all about what your looking for. Maybe everyone could list their mod combos and their feedback on each item? Hopefully yall can help me out!

Thanks in advance for the info!!
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 11:32 PM   #2
335i101
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E60 M5

Jb4
2008 M5 with muffler delete-sold
2007 650i-sold
2008 335i-JB4, DP, Meth-sold
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 11:43 PM   #3
brady2268
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335i101 View Post
Jb4
What do you like most about it? If our cars still have warranty, is it easy to de-tune before maintenance/oil changes and what not?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 11:45 PM   #4
akotten
Major
Rep
Drives: 2004 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by brady2268 View Post
Hey guys I am new on this forum, but Im a member on E46fanatics. I have a 2005 AW 330ci DINAN 3 with a lot done to it, but I am trying to sell my car and buy a certified N54 335i and was wondering what are some mods that arent going to break the bank, but yet are still beneficial. I've looked into exhaust, tunes, downpipes, and intakes but thought Id ask everyone to see what products yall like the best. So far I have noticed people like the JB4 tune over others, AR or VRSF catless DP's, and then of course exhaust is all about what your looking for. Maybe everyone could list their mod combos and their feedback on each item? Hopefully yall can help me out!

Thanks in advance for the info!!
I would have to disagree. Each tune has its pros/cons. Choose one that suits you best. As far as mods....I would go Tune>DCI>Meth>DPs>FMIC>Exhaust, in that order.

Cheers

(I'm running Procede 2.5 with DCI and exhaust, waiting for the PWM meth kit to ship)
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 11:54 PM   #5
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i, 2015 Tundra 1794

Horsepower/dollar-wise it goes Tune, then Meth, then downpipes, then intercooler.

EDIT: I should mention that after you get a tune you should go ahead and get an intake, or at least a panel filter. Maximizes the tune and your other parts down the road.

Last edited by PINeely; 12-09-2011 at 11:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 11:55 PM   #6
brady2268
Private First Class
Rep

How reliable are meth kits though? I always thought you had to be careful when running meth on our cars?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 12:06 AM   #7
akotten
Major
Rep

Quote:
How reliable are meth kits though? I always thought you had to be careful when running meth on our cars?
As long as you have a quality failsafe, you should be ok. This is why I like the Procede and PWM meth kit. When meth gets low, it triggers the washer fluid light since it utilizes the washer tank for fluid. If you do run out, it automatically switches to a non-meth map and keeps on pulling strong...just...without meth. Super safe. For the record, this can be done with other kits too...just not sure how the failsafe handles it on the other systems (JB4, etc)
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 12:18 AM   #8
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Many people on here have been running meth for many miles with no issues. Most of these cars are also full bolt-on. Meth kits with a failsafe will have a really difficult time damaging your car.

My performance parts and how I feel about them:

Tune- Holy fucking shit, best 500 I ever spent.
DCI- Mine is injen because it looks the best IMO but they all offer the same gains and sound.
Downpipes- Mine are AR (3", $800) upgraded from Raceland (2.5", $220). ARs sound better and feel A little more powerful (butt dyno probably) but not worth the $500 difference IMO. Build quality on the racelands has been proven to last but occasionally someone has a fitment issue with them and the company replaces them.
Charge pipe- Meh. Holds boost A little better I guess? I got mine so that I'll have bungs ready for when I install meth but if you are planning to stay meth-free then I wouldn't bother.
Intercooler- Makes a huge difference and once you have a tune you'll pretty much need one anyway.
Non-runflat tires- HUGE upgrade. Saves weight, money, handling, etc.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 12:30 AM   #9
brady2268
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akotten View Post
As long as you have a quality failsafe, you should be ok. This is why I like the Procede and PWM meth kit. When meth gets low, it triggers the washer fluid light since it utilizes the washer tank for fluid. If you do run out, it automatically switches to a non-meth map and keeps on pulling strong...just...without meth. Super safe. For the record, this can be done with other kits too...just not sure how the failsafe handles it on the other systems (JB4, etc)

I'm sorry but I am not too familiar with how meth works... is it similar to NOS? A direct injection to increase performance? And damn I didn't know that failsafes did all of that, good to know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PINeely View Post
Many people on here have been running meth for many miles with no issues. Most of these cars are also full bolt-on. Meth kits with a failsafe will have a really difficult time damaging your car.

My performance parts and how I feel about them:

Tune- Holy fucking shit, best 500 I ever spent.
DCI- Mine is injen because it looks the best IMO but they all offer the same gains and sound.
Downpipes- Mine are AR (3", $800) upgraded from Raceland (2.5", $220). ARs sound better and feel more powerful but not worth the $500 difference IMO. Build quality on the racelands has been proven to last but occasionally someone has a fitment issue with them and the company replaces them.
Charge pipe- Meh. Holds boost A little better I guess? I got mine so that I'll have bungs ready for when I install meth.
Intercooler- Makes a huge difference and once you have a tune you'll pretty much need one anyway.
Non-runflat tires- HUGE upgrade. Saves weight, money, handling, etc.
Ha yea I feel like a tune will be the first thing I do. With your DP, are you running stock exhaust? I have heard a video of stock exhaust with the AR DP and it sounds pretty damn good and without dropping 1,500+ on an exhaust system. Does your charge pipe have a BOV? I've looked at several different charge pipes with BOV's and to me they all seem the same? Is an aftermarket intercooler really necessary after just a tune? I thought the stock intercoolers were pretty durable.. And lastly, I will deff get rid of runflats! Already got my eyes on some 19" LMR reps, just gotta find a good tire
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 12:40 AM   #10
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
I would have to disagree. Each tune has its pros/cons. Choose one that suits you best. As far as mods....I would go Tune>DCI>Meth>DPs>FMIC>Exhaust, in that order.

Cheers

(I'm running Procede 2.5 with DCI and exhaust, waiting for the PWM meth kit to ship)
Good advice
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 12:41 AM   #11
akotten
Major
Rep

Quote:
I'm sorry but I am not too familiar with how meth works... is it similar to NOS? A direct injection to increase performance? And damn I didn't know that failsafes did all of that, good to know!

Methanol does two things for you:

1) Increases octane of fuel mixture
2) Lowers intake charge temperature

It starts by injecting a mixture of methanol and water into the airstream of the instake; in our case, the chargepipe. So now you have more oxygen in the fuel itself which will help prevent detonation, and more oxygen in the combustion chamber because of the lower density cooled air. This allows for more boost and more fuel, which we all know simplifies to more power. Think of it like this; Its like running a FMIC and race gas at the same time.

-Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@topgearsolutions View Post
Good advice
Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 12:41 AM   #12
Wedge1967
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 e92 AT Sport Montego Blue

Don't waist your time on any other DP's, just get the VRSF's. They are a full 3" pipe, look just like the AR's and they are less than half the price.

Check out HPF 7" FMIC. Uses the stock BMW C clips so it's a positive connection and very easy to install.

Tune, well look at that charts. Because you're saving on the DP's, you should drop the money on the best tune (IMOP) and get the PROcede with the PWM Meth kit.

Good luck...
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 12:44 AM   #13
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Ha yea I feel like a tune will be the first thing I do. With your DP, are you running stock exhaust? I have heard a video of stock exhaust with the AR DP and it sounds pretty damn good and without dropping 1,500+ on an exhaust system. Does your charge pipe have a BOV? I've looked at several different charge pipes with BOV's and to me they all seem the same? Is an aftermarket intercooler really necessary after just a tune? I thought the stock intercoolers were pretty durable.. And lastly, I will deff get rid of runflats! Already got my eyes on some 19" LMR reps, just gotta find a good tire
Yup, stock exhaust on ARs and it sounds really damn good and it doesn't drone or get too loud. No BOV on my charge pipe, just the stock diverter valves but once my stockers start leaking I'm planning to upgrade them to Forge. Since I don't have a BOV I don't know much about how they differ. As for the intercooler, you can run a tune, DPs, intake and meth without one (in fact some guys run meth in place of an IC since it lowers the air intake temps). The stock intercooler is very good except that it is so small and therefore heat soaks quickly; if you tune you'll get 2-3 WOT pulls before you start losing power to heat soak. So assuming that you'll drive the way I did when I got my tune... You'll need one lol, or at least want one very badly
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 12:52 AM   #14
brady2268
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Methanol does two things for you:

1) Increases octane of fuel mixture
2) Lowers intake charge temperature

It starts by injecting a mixture of methanol and water into the airstream of the instake; in our case, the chargepipe. So now you have more oxygen in the fuel itself which will help prevent detonation, and more oxygen in the combustion chamber because of the lower density cooled air. This allows for more boost and more fuel, which we all know simplifies to more power. Think of it like this; Its like running a FMIC and race gas at the same time.

-Alex

Thanks.
Thanks for the info! And if I have understood correctly, isn't meth only injected when at high boost levels?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedge1967 View Post
Don't waist your time on any other DP's, just get the VRSF's. They are a full 3" pipe, look just like the AR's and they are less than half the price.

Check out HPF 7" FMIC. Uses the stock BMW C clips so it's a positive connection and very easy to install.

Tune, well look at that charts. Because you're saving on the DP's, you should drop the money on the best tune (IMOP) and get the PROcede with the PWM Meth kit.

Good luck...
Yea I read a post on here about a guy getting the VRSF's and loving them so far. They look amazing for the price! Ill have to look up HPF's FMIC, I havn't seen/heard about it before, but I know their new exhaust for 335i's sounds sick! On a post here earlier I saw a comparison chart of all the tunes. I didn't really see much of a difference between the PROcede and the JB4 for a $400 difference?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 12:55 AM   #15
brady2268
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PINeely View Post
Yup, stock exhaust on ARs and it sounds really damn good and it doesn't drone or get too loud. No BOV on my charge pipe, just the stock diverter valves but once my stockers start leaking I'm planning to upgrade them to Forge. Since I don't have a BOV I don't know much about how they differ. As for the intercooler, you can run a tune, DPs, intake and meth without one (in fact some guys run meth in place of an IC since it lowers the air intake temps). The stock intercooler is very good except that it is so small and therefore heat soaks quickly; if you tune you'll get 2-3 WOT pulls before you start losing power to heat soak. So assuming that you'll drive the way I did when I got my tune... You'll need one lol, or at least want one very badly
Good to know about the exhaust! And yea I'm sure once I finally get a 335i and tune it, needless to say I probably won't be too easy on the gas pedal So I definitely will look into getting a FMIC to prevent power loss.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 12:56 AM   #16
akotten
Major
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the info! And if I have understood correctly, isn't meth only injected when at high boost levels?
The meth is injected based on boost pressure I believe. It's beneficial at almost all throttle positions I think, but obviously you spray more when you boost more, if that makes sense.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 12:57 AM   #17
Brey335i
Banned
Rep
Drives: e46 ///M3

Search around to determine what mods fit your needs. I'm gonna provide a list of the companies I'd recommend in each category and you can choose which one you prefer based on your own search. All opinions are subjective and no one can tell you what mod will be perfect for you.

Tube: COBB, Procede, JB4, GIAC

FMIC: Helix, ETS, HPF, AMS, Big Tom style, ER

Downpipes: AR, VRSF, Macht Schnell

Intake: STETT, UR, Mr. 5 style, any DCI
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 01:10 AM   #18
brady2268
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
The meth is injected based on boost pressure I believe. It's beneficial at almost all throttle positions I think, but obviously you spray more when you boost more, if that makes sense.

Yup I understand what your saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brey335i View Post
Search around to determine what mods fit your needs. I'm gonna provide a list of the companies I'd recommend in each category and you can choose which one you prefer based on your own search. All opinions are subjective and no one can tell you what mod will be perfect for you.

Tube: COBB, Procede, JB4, GIAC

FMIC: Helix, ETS, HPF, AMS, Big Tom style, ER

Downpipes: AR, VRSF, Macht Schnell

Intake: STETT, UR, Mr. 5 style, any DCI
Thanks! Yea im still researching/reading reviews on each brand for each part. Will take a while to do, but will be worth it in the end!
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 04:34 AM   #19
BEAR-AvHistory
2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convrt

Garage List
One thing you really need to think about is getting the power to the ground. My setup is at the base level - JB4 Map2 with 93 octane/5 gal 100 race fuel added to make a full tank dynoed at 365whp. This will overpower the tires on a stock setup in a heart beat if you are too quick on the throttle. I have already experimented with 2nd gear starts & backing down the boost in 1st gear.

Big numbers are good for bragging rites but the first thing I will be doing is a tire upgrade from the run-flats to 235X35X19/265X30X19 Michelin PPS.

2022 M4C - 2020 Z4 M40i - 2023 FORD Expedition XLT Max 4X4 400BHP - 2009 V-Star - 1998 Ranger 4X4 5MT - 1965 Cobra (R) 5MT - 2023 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 6MT

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 12-09-2011 at 05:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 04:52 AM   #20
tscdennab
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW  [6.24]
Quote:
From my experience, they are very reliable, but it depends on what kit you are getting. I have an Aquamist HFS-3 and I haven't it works perfectly since the install. I have upgraded from HFS-2 which also worked perfectly.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 05:25 AM   #21
brady2268
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory View Post
One thing you really need to think about is getting the power to the ground. My setup is at the base level - JB4 Map2 with 93 octane/5 gal 100 race fuel added to make a full tank dynoed at 365whp. This will overpower the tires on a stock setup in a heart beat if you are too quick on the throttle. I have already experimented with 2nd gear starts & backing down the boost in 1st gear.

Big numbers are good for bragging rites but the first thing I will be doing is a tire upgrade from the run-flats to 235X35X10/265X30X19 Michelin PPS.
Good point! Yea I will have to do some more research and find a good tire that will be able to handle all the power, Definitely no run flats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tscdennab View Post
From my experience, they are very reliable, but it depends on what kit you are getting. I have an Aquamist HFS-3 and I haven't it works perfectly since the install. I have upgraded from HFS-2 which also worked perfectly.
Thanks for the info! I havn't heard of that one before, but I will definitely look it up!
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 05:28 AM   #22
gizmo335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 SBM E92 335i 6MT

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [9.42]
I like this thread. subscribed....

What vendor sells the Stett intake?

OP, don't forget about suspension and LSD.....I would say you should make sure you get those setup first...and like you said, good tires.