E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Lowering Spring Advice

05-14-2012, 02:23 PM   #1
NIBEEMER
Rep
Drives: E90 320d

Lowering Spring Advice

Ok im new to the site and BM in general....

Bought a 2006 320d SE about a month back and im looking to get it lowered... Because of all the hassel coilovers have given me in previous cars im going no were near them and sticking to springs!

Basically looking to get the lowest drop possiable from Lowering Springs... So far the lowest I have come across are these FK ones giving 60mm on front and 40 at rear:

http://www.europerformance.co.uk/pag...?product=67421

Just looking any advice or links on recommended springs that give a good low drop... and pics to give me a rough idea of how it would look be much appreciated!

Cheers folks
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 02:45 PM   #2
B005T3D-G
Class Leading Reprobate
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Impreza STi - E92 335i (56)

Garage List
I've heard a lot of bad things about FK coilovers with regards to quality and durability. For that alone I wouldn't go near a spring kit from them.

H&R quote a nice drop and are fairly popular but there are mixed reviews about them. Some say they are rock hard and bouncy, others say they are not that much firmer than OEM M-Sports. Guess it's all a matter of perspective.

A lot of owners do tend to go the route of eibachs, you dont get much of a drop (on an M-Sport) but the ride quality is meant to be excellent so no sore back.

I'm looking for a full kit myself but not getting much feedback so my best advice is to do what I'm doing and scoure this forum and others for reviews then make your mind up from there. I'm torn between a few kits now so going to just have to take a chance and pick one. You never know what's going to suit your needs best until you try it for yourself anyway so do some more reasearch and go with your gut. Worst scenario is you don't like it so dig deeper and try something else.

Pictures I was shown

335i on H&R's:

335i on Eibachs:

Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 03:03 PM   #3
NIBEEMER
Rep

Cheers lad appreciate the info... i have been searching the forums myself...heres a post might be of use to you to... gives good idea of Eibach Sportline springs... these are a drop of 50mm at front 45mm at back...

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ht=e90+springs

Also seen some real good pics of H&R Race lowering springs.... these two seem to be most popular.... Just good to get the few pictures of certain springs so can have a rough idea of what to expect..

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 05:34 PM   #4
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

Don't put 30+mm lower springs on SE shocks - the shocks will be riding so much lower than they are meant to that they will not last long at all, your ride will be very hard and probably bouncy too - i'm talking from experience here and also the experience of many other people with many different cars and many forums.

If you want to go low, get new shocks for it, shocks that made for a lower ride.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 05:42 PM   #5
Dino355
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 SB BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIBEEMER View Post
Cheers lad appreciate the info... i have been searching the forums myself...heres a post might be of use to you to... gives good idea of Eibach Sportline springs... these are a drop of 50mm at front 45mm at back...

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ht=e90+springs

Also seen some real good pics of H&R Race lowering springs.... these two seem to be most popular.... Just good to get the few pictures of certain springs so can have a rough idea of what to expect..

Cheers
That's my for sale post quoted.

Whilst the box of my springs says Sportline the other sides of the box say Pro Kit (and mine is a Pro Kit NOT Sportline!)

I was recommended by more than a couple of places that sell Eibach that the Sportlines are not really suited to UK roads as they are simply too low and would scrape on speed humps and on and off driveways.

I find the Pro Kit is a perfect and very subtle drop - a decent amount lower than M sport at the front and a touch lower at the rear.

Another point to add is that the Sportlines will be much harder too. Think carefully about going so low and so hard as it could ruin the cars driveability!!! I know with some people as low as you can go is a lifestyle choice but it will ruin the handling especially if you are using std shocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilejo View Post
If you want to go low, get new shocks for it, shocks that made for a lower ride.
Bilstein B8s are a shortened and uprated damper if you must go very low
      05-14-2012, 05:46 PM   #6
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino355 View Post

Whilst the box of my springs says Sportline the other sides of the box say Pro Kit (and mine is a Pro Kit NOT Sportline!)

I was recommended by more than a couple of places that sell Eibach that the Sportlines are not really suited to UK roads as they are simply too low and would scrape on speed humps and on and off driveways.

I find the Pro Kit is a perfect and very subtle drop - a decent amount lower than M sport at the front and a touch lower at the rear.

Another point to add is that the Sportlines will be much harder too. Think carefully about going so low and so hard as it could ruin the cars driveability!!! I know with some people as low as you can go is a lifestyle choice but it will ruin the handling especially if you are using std shocks.
Pro kit also approved by Eibach for use on standard shocks too. Even better if you can get sport shocks
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 05:50 PM   #7
NIBEEMER
Rep

Quote:
Don't put 30+mm lower springs on SE shocks - the shocks will be riding so much lower than they are meant to that they will not last long at all, your ride will be very hard and probably bouncy too - i'm talking from experience here and also the experience of many other people with many different cars and many forums.

I know fella i wouldnt put such low springs in without the shortened shocks... just trying to source the springs first
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 05:51 PM   #8
PR3CI5N
need4speed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M 335i

Get coils. Don't waste your time/money on lowering springs.
      05-14-2012, 05:56 PM   #9
NIBEEMER
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino355 View Post

Bilstein B8s are a shortened and uprated damper if you must go very low
So they are the Pro Kit... whats that 30mm at front 25mm at rear?...

To be honest lads im not overally concerned on sacrifacing comfort... i know alot of people wouldnt agree but i just always liked my cars low... untill im a family man il keep things low lol
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 05:58 PM   #10
NIBEEMER
Rep

Oh and mobilejo.... are them wheels in your avatar Cades apollo?.... you any more pics i could look at...these were the wheels i was thinking?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 06:06 PM   #11
NIBEEMER
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR3CI5N View Post
Get coils. Don't waste your time/money on lowering springs.
Had to much hassel in past with coilovers.... put me right of them lad...
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 06:18 PM   #12
Dino355
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 SB BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Had to much hassel in past with coilovers.... put me right of them lad...
Which coilovers though?

You can't go wrong with the likes of Bilstein, KW, Eibach etc. All highly respected and proven.
      05-14-2012, 06:49 PM   #13
m1bjr
LSD - No, you're not seeing things
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Baby F36 Gran Coupe

Man, these 3ers are getting cheap now aren't they?
      05-14-2012, 07:41 PM   #14
BIFCAIDS
Bird Flu and Cat Aids combined
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 340i M-Sport+ MPPSK E92 M3

The rule is if you change the spring change the damper at the same time, standard dampers are made to work with standard spring rates etc. This is why the dampers wont last in the long run with aftermarket lowering springs because they are a good inch shorter in most cases and the rates are totally different.

You either buy a spring and damper kit or buy coilovers.

Ive personally never bought just springs, first car was a kit and the second was coilovers. Found those better as well because I could tailor everything to my taste, height and damping.
      05-15-2012, 03:25 AM   #15
NIBEEMER
Rep

lol Thanks for the advice but i never intended not putting in shortened shocks... im just trying to source a set of lowering springs that give a good drop....
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 03:27 AM   #16
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
lol Thanks for the advice but i never intended not putting in shortened shocks... im just trying to source a set of lowering springs that give a good drop....
What shocks you got in mind?

You didn't mention that you were changing them too as it makes a difference to what springs would be recommended.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 11:37 AM   #17
NIBEEMER
Rep

Quote:
What shocks you got in mind?

You didn't mention that you were changing them too as it makes a difference to what springs would be recommended.
Something along lines of these...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-3-SERI...item35b97155bc

I get were your comming from.... i only said i was changing the springs so theres a limit to how low i can go with spring only.....didnt mention im also changing the shocks cause i assumed its standard procedure and one goes with other...my bad... just wanted help on sourcing the lowest set of springs available for a 320d.... once i find the lowest spring... il find the suitable shocks :-)

Last edited by NIBEEMER; 05-15-2012 at 11:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 12:10 PM   #18
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

It's not a case of certain springs only working with certain shocks, just that some springs compliment some shockss better than others e.g eibach pro and Koni FSD dampers work well. The same dampers with super low springs is not as good a combo. For 60mm lower springs, you're going to want some bloody good sports dampers if you want a stock-like level of comfort.

Is comfort a big concern for you?

And you're right spring & shock should be standard procedure but sooooo many people forget the shocks do I presumed you was going spring only. Good on ya for doing the shocks too
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 05:27 PM   #19
m1bjr
LSD - No, you're not seeing things
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Baby F36 Gran Coupe

Actually its the quality of the damper that defines how well it 'rides' IME.

BMWs that look like Civics..... had to happen.
      05-15-2012, 11:46 PM   #20
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1bjr View Post
Actually its the quality of the damper that defines how well it 'rides' IME.

BMWs that look like Civics..... had to happen.
I agree it's the shock that defines the comfort, but having said that you can't isolate shock from spring - an OEM SE damper or something like an FSD will give a fine 'ride' on standard height springs, but not on a -80mm drop spring where that shock is bottomed out all the time. If I were lowering a car, I'd be thinking about the shock/spring combo, not individually.

There have been BMWs looking like Civics and worse for as long as I can remember. A BMW is hardly an exclusive brand for the upper echelons of society; especially the once-bottom-of-the-BMW-pecking order 3 series (and still second from bottom) - we outnumber Mondeo owners I think!

Last edited by mobilejo; 05-16-2012 at 01:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 12:56 AM   #21
A_P
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

I understand that it is a personal choice mainly asthetic, somewhat performance enhancing, but surely beyond a certain point it has to have a negative effect? Going too low + the conditions of our roads must = bad choice surely?

Going for the lowest possible springs and finding shocks that match and NOT factoring in daily usability, losses in cornering speed, mid corner stability, choice of performance tires seems well silly.

No offence to O.P or anyone that chooses to do this, I am not saying you shouldnt do it, after all it is your car. All I am saying is, aim to self educate yourself, and understand the possible benefits of a hollistic set up, that has more to it than just superficial looks, If it can be practical and enhance your driving experience, you will enjoy it more.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Regards.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 01:09 AM   #22
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awfully_Polite View Post
I understand that it is a personal choice mainly asthetic, somewhat performance enhancing, but surely beyond a certain point it has to have a negative effect? Going too low + the conditions of our roads must = bad choice surely?

I totally agree. I wouldn't do it myself. But I did it 10 years ago with my first couple of cars and learnt first hand why its a bad idea.

Thats why I asked about how much importance the OP places on comfort - back then, I didn't mind a teeth shattering ride for the ultra-low look.
Appreciate 0