E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Parking in two spots *rant*

12-31-2007, 03:50 AM   #1
BMWCali
Expect the Unusual
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X6M

Parking in two spots *rant*

Okay, I know it's not always the most ethical thing to do but sometimes when I get paranoid I'll take two parking spots. I'm sick of having to get up in the middle of dinner to go check on my car so taking two spots puts my mind at ease. Funny thing though (actually it's more ironic than funny). Two times that I parked taking up two spots in the past month it has backfired on me. One time I parked late at night at a restaurant with about 30 spots all around and when I come out, so asshole decided to share the 1/2 spot next to me parking super close. Then of course I have to break out the flashlight and spend 10 minutes checking my car up and down on that side.

This evening though was the ultimate in backfired parking. I take up two spots in a parking garage as I go into PF Changs to eat at 10:30PM. I come out 45 minutes later and two SUVS are on either side of me and wedge me in like jelly in a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. They both thought they'd join me in the two parking spots I was taking up. Being that both sides of my car was in danger I was probably in that parking garage 15 minutes checking my car at all angles. AMAZINGLY, even though both cars were parked mere inches from mine, I wasn't even dinged. Obviously, the driver of the SUV to my right had some mad skills getting out and the one to my left probably didn't have a passenger.

Anyhow, that's my rant for tonight. I'm thinking the next time I take up two spots I'm just going to park horizontally. Then, maybe just then, the idiots will get the message. I think I'm going to start to carry some pre-made post-it-notes in my trunk too.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2007, 03:55 AM   #2
x26
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

I agree...
I suppose it's a testament to the fine "Public Education" available in our Country ...
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2007, 04:01 AM   #3
N54YO
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW E92 335/2005 Scion tC

wtf...it's nice that we have wonderful cars...but that's a bit excessive. I hate ppl that park their cars like that.

2008 BMW E92 335i
Sparkling Graphite/Coral Red/Grey Poplar
Sport/Navi/Premium/Comfort/iPod/6-Speed Manual
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2007, 04:12 AM   #4
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lola

Garage List
I double park too. You'd be surprised how many people would love the chance to key or ding a nice looking car if the person doing it drives a beater.

I find parking further away from an entrance is the better option. Americans are too lazy to walk that far. lol
      12-31-2007, 04:19 AM   #5
OBI_agent
D to the X to the B!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: ABS,American bargain supercar

Guys, you don't have a supercar or something. And you could get fined for using two parking spaces.
If you had a lambo or a ferrari, then it would be different.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2007, 04:22 AM   #6
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lola

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by OBI_agent View Post
Guys, you don't have a supercar or something. And you could get fined for using two parking spaces.
If you had a lambo or a ferrari, then it would be different.
Easy to say living where you are. Let someone slam their door into yours and then post up how its not such a big deal. A lot of people in the states are real jerks.
      12-31-2007, 04:23 AM   #7
SantaClawz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

yeah if i had an accord, id park wherever i wanted to.

ROLLING STOCK
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2007, 05:46 AM   #8
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Here is my thought on the parking issue: Taking up two spots, or parking horizontally across spots immediately draws attention to your car. Now, I know this depends on where you live and places you go, but people generally don't like BMWs or their owners. So what you are doing is actually making them take notice of you - and saying "don't mess with my car, or park your POS near me". That makes people want to challenge you. You're lucky that so far they have only made a point by boxing you in... it's only a matter of time before someone keys your car or dents in deliberately.

My advice is to find an end spot, preferably the right end (50% chance they won't have a passenger) and hug the edge of the space. This will help protect you from door dings without putting flashing neon lights over your car that say "I think I'm special". When ends spots are not available, I try to find other high end cars that are pretty new and park near them.

There is only so much you can do - but I think your method is antagonizing, and will ultimately lead to the very type of damage (or worse) that you are trying to avoid.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2007, 05:51 AM   #9
SteveMD
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 F10 535i MSport

As a rule I don't do it but when I do, I will park as far away from wherever I am going so that it is unlikely anyone would park there anyway. And I will not angle the car. I just park straight but about a foot over the line.

I'm with Ledzep. I usually just find an end spot and hug the curb with my mad reversing parking skillz.
2016 F10 535i M Sport
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2007, 05:54 AM   #10
Neema
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a few BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP View Post
Here is my thought on the parking issue: Taking up two spots, or parking horizontally across spots immediately draws attention to your car. Now, I know this depends on where you live and places you go, but people generally don't like BMWs or their owners. So what you are doing is actually making them take notice of you - and saying "don't mess with my car, or park your POS near me". That makes people want to challenge you. You're lucky that so far they have only made a point by boxing you in... it's only a matter of time before someone keys your car or dents in deliberately.

My advice is to find an end spot, preferably the right end (50% chance they won't have a passenger) and hug the edge of the space. This will help protect you from door dings without putting flashing neon lights over your car that say "I think I'm special". When ends spots are not available, I try to find other high end cars that are pretty new and park near them.

There is only so much you can do - but I think your method is antagonizing, and will ultimately lead to the very type of damage (or worse) that you are trying to avoid.
i agree.

Your method isnt smart at all........pretty lame actually, and yes, I too hate people that park like you.

LTMW Widebody+1M front bumper+Slek CF Lip|M3 Hood|StopTech BBK|M-Sport Rear Bumper+DD CF Diffuser|Custom Recaro Seats|KW V2|BavX LS3|M3 Side Skirts+Custom CF Lip|BBS CHR 19x10.5+BBS Lugs|LCI Taillights|RD Sport Anti-Sway Bars|GIAC S2|ER Intercooler+CF Shroud+Charge Pipe|Tial BOV|Injen Intake|MS downpipes|Custom Exhaust|BMS Oil Catch Can|M3 DCT wheel+TiD CF Paddles|BMW CF Trunk Spoiler|Aluminum Pedals
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2007, 05:58 AM   #11
Eazyrock
Major
Guyana
Rep
Drives: 08' Helix 335i E93

I park in two spots when I'm at work, but its a private lot for my company. Everyone here knows its my car so they're pretty kool with it. When I'm in a public lot for say a restaurant for department store I just park as far the hell away from everyone i can in one spot. As stated previously, when you park in two spots it draws a lot of attention. Plus there's always those crazies out there that think "oh this guy thinks he's special" and might purposely damage your car.
      12-31-2007, 06:19 AM   #12
bobr2001
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: F11

i'll do that too. i mean park up close to someone taking up two spots. i also go out my way to park next to cars parked way out in left field. i know it's childish but i can't help myself. i don't do damage or dents but i do get really close sometimes. i drive a beat up car when i do this and hope people get pissed off.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2007, 06:30 AM   #13
garyhgaryh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Supercharged e30 M3

Parking in two spots will eventually catch up to you. I hate people who park in two spots. Better to angle your car than to take up two spots - you'll piss someone off.

Last edited by garyhgaryh; 01-02-2008 at 02:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2007, 06:39 AM   #14
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

Taking 2 spots is just asking for it - don't be such an a$$, you don't own a ferrari! It's one thing if you out at the end of the parking lot where no one else parks, but obviously your taking 2 spots where other people are parking, so then your just being a jerk!
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2007, 07:05 AM   #15
Majikthese42
Philosopher-king
Rep
Drives: 2008 E91

I have a Volvo with 176k miles on it that I park away from the crowd to avoid door dings. It still looks good after 176k, albeit with a couple of minor door dings. But I wouldn't dream of taking up two parking spaces. That's an invitation to get keyed or worse.

If you're worried about the door dings and going to a restaurant, either use the valet parking or drive the Camry.
E91 6MT Alpine, Terra, Xenons, ZSP, ZCW, ZPP, PDC, CA, alarm, M shifter and M brake handle, Euro rear fog light switch, Euro aspheric mirrors, rear power outlets, Garmin nüvi custom cupholder mount, Lidatek, V-1 built-in remote display, tire pump, jack, floor mats.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2007, 07:29 AM   #16
OBI_agent
D to the X to the B!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: ABS,American bargain supercar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyBimmerDude View Post
Easy to say living where you are. Let someone slam their door into yours and then post up how its not such a big deal. A lot of people in the states are real jerks.
Don't judge without investigation.....I have parking problems too, a lot of people in Dubai are jerks but ,I have gotten use to it the dents and marks on my car. I get all the scratches cleaned up every 3 to 6 months. In the end, it's worth saving my money on fines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaClawz View Post
yeah if i had an accord, id park wherever i wanted to.
Dude , that was cold! I got it for around 30k (US dollars)like 2 years ago, so don't give me that bull**** of me not caring about my car. 30k is alot of money for me and I dunno if you know this, Honda's paint ain't expensive but it ain't cheap either.

And just for your information, I have LS 460 too. Sometimes, I have to park that in a tight parking, but I don't block another parking just for my convenience. Think of it this way, I am giving problems to people who are innocent(non door slammer's)
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2007, 07:31 AM   #17
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 VW JSW

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost_Nation View Post
i agree.

Your method isnt smart at all........pretty lame actually, and yes, I too hate people that park like you.
The op is lame as well.

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2007, 07:40 AM   #18
forza1976
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2022 BMW M3X  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyBimmerDude View Post
Americans are too lazy to walk that far. lol
Speak for yourself man, I always park far away with no need to double park and bring attention to my car.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2007, 07:44 AM   #19
bemmin335
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 335i 6M/T

Quote:

+1

"The Ring"
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2007, 07:54 AM   #20
wj4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 manual 335i

You may end up on this website.

http://www.youparklikeanasshole.com/
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2007, 07:56 AM   #21
wj4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 manual 335i

Quote:

That's what I do as well. I try to park at the end of the aisle and I leave more than a generous amount of space on the side for the car next to me.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2007, 08:10 AM   #22
Tony717
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:

+1 That is what I do. If I cannot find an end spot, I do my best to leave my car in the middle of the space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost_Nation View Post
i agree.

+1

Appreciate 0