E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Detailing Guidance

06-03-2009, 10:03 AM   #1
FSTASNTZ
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 550i & 2007 BMW 335i

Detailing Guidance

I have read the procedures and understand them and I am in the process of obtaining all the materials. Previously I have used Zaino, but I am looking for a little better result and protection on my cars for the level of effort involved.
Here is my question, besides the MF towels, the PC 7424, assortment of pads, wash glove, water purification (well water) and three buckets, what products (exterior & interior) should I use for the following cars:
2009 BMW 550i Space Gray Metallic with black leather
2008 Mazda MX-5 Copper Red with tan leather

With so many options out there, it is almost impossible to make a determination.
Thanks in advance.
      06-03-2009, 06:13 PM   #2
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

That's a pretty loaded question, and you will undoubtedly hear different opinions from different people. There are a lot of really good products out there. I assume you're going for a full detail, considering you're also getting the PC with pads? Here's (roughly) each step with my thoughts on products for each.

Wash: PB Super Slick & Suds is my choice right now. Also consider: CG Citrus Wash, Adams, Lusso Auto

Engine: If you're looking to clean the engine bay, P21S Total Autowash is a good choice. You'll want a degreaser (Stoner's works) and maybe some Black Wow too for dressing - this can be used for any fading black plastics you may have on the exterior too.

Clay: Riccardo clay is highly regarded, but very hard to find. I find the ClayMagic stuff works just fine. Don't forget clay lube (ONR diluted works great).

Polish: Not an expert on this yet, so I won't go into a lot of detail. Menzerna products are top notch in this area, and what you buy depends on the current condition of the car's paint. You might want to start with a package from either DI or DD, such as the DI Polish and Protection Starter Kit or the DD Complete Menzerna 16oz Kit to get a feel for the products.

Sealant: CG JetSeal 109 is awesome stuff. Apply it as thin as possible!

Wax: Lots of choices here depending on how much you're willing to spend and the color of your paint. For the 550i, you could go with PB Natty's Blue paste wax ($20), Lusso Oro ($30), Dodo Juice Purple Haze ($70), Dodo Juice Supernatural ($200) or beyond. Natty's Blue does a VERY nice job on darker colored cars, especially considering the price. You won't be disappointed with it. For the MX-5, you might want to try Dodo Juice Orange Crush. Keep in mind the "hard" waxes generally last longer and have more protective qualities while the soft waxes will offer less protection, less durability, but more initial shine. Again, can't go wrong with either type.

Wheels: P21s Wheel Cleaner (for really nasty wheels, otherwise soap/water works fine). Also, PB Wheel Wax to make the wheel shine and future cleanups easier.

Tires: Stoner's More Time Less Shine is my choice for tire dressing. It's not too glossy and doesn't sling if applied right.

Interior: Leatherique Prestine Clean and also their Rejuvenator Oil are fantastic on leather, won't leave the seats feeling shiny or greasy. Get some 303 Aerospace Protectant for the interior plastics, it also won't leave behind any fake-looking greasy finish. Stoner's Invisible Glass is good glass cleaner. A brush to clean in the nooks and crannies (air vents, console, etc) should round out your interior supplies.

Misc: 3 Grit Guards, Daytona Speed Master wheel brush, a few MF Waffle Weave towels for drying use only, bug remover of choice, Mother's Chrome Polish and some steel wool for exhaust tips.

Detailed Image and Detailers Domain will have everything you need. Both are sponsors here at Bimmerpost. Both George from DI and Phil from DD are active here and will go out of their way to help you out.

Don't take my advice word for word though. Do your own research and reading to decide what will work best for your cars and budget.

Edit: Wow, long post! Sorry for the wall of text - got carried away I guess lol.

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2009, 06:45 PM   #3
ToadHollow
Once upon a time ......
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2008 JB E92 - SOLD 5/2010

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [8.00]
LOL ........ guess I'm following Jopa around here.

I agree with many of the products Jopa listed. As mentioned the CG Citrus Wash is a greta car wash shampoo.

I also have found the Dodo Juice "Born to be Mild" to be GREAT for the maintenance washes. This stuff is made to clean without removing previously layered coats of wax from the paint. A maintenance shampoo really.

As far as a sealant ..... Jetseal 109 is pretty good and I've used a bottle or two. I prefer to use the Menzerna FMJ sealant more often though. It seems to give a deeper gloss much like a wax with the ultra slick feeling. It is undoubtedly the easiest product to apply and remove I have ever used.

As for a leather cleaner I recently began using Poorboys World "Leather Stuff". Cleans/conditions without the greasey look and leaves your car smelling like new leather.

Everything else mentioned in the post above is pretty much what I use in my own car. Have at it and enjoy the results!

Appreciate 0
      06-03-2009, 07:57 PM   #4
zaxjax
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 Crimson Red 335i

Garage List
2008 335i  [9.00]
There is nothing wrong with the Zaino you are using but the prep beforehand. If you properly polish and clean your paint, Zaino is top notch is terms of durability and shine.

Grab some Menzerna Polishes like SIP, 106 and PO85D, this will give you great results.
      06-03-2009, 08:16 PM   #5
FSTASNTZ
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 550i & 2007 BMW 335i

Thanks for the feed back.
jopa: Not a long post at all, informative is what I asked for

Toadhollow: I have heard a lot about the jet seal over the years, that one seems to be a must have.

zaxjax: I planned to focus on the polish part until all the Zaino is gone, then move to something else. You are right, Zaino is good, I just feel that now there are better results from other products that would require the same or slightly less time investment.