E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > Did I overpay for my '08 335xi Coupe?

06-18-2008, 10:13 AM   #1
Danny271
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 M3

Did I overpay for my '08 335xi Coupe?

Hey Guys,

I ordered my car yesterday and wanted to get your oppinions on what type of deal I got.

I ordered a 2008 335XI Coupe w/the following options:

-6 Speed Manual
-Montego Blue Paint
-Premium Package
-Sport Package w/optional 18s
-Cold Weather Package
-Navigation
-HD Radio
-iPod USB

with Destination Charges the car came out to $51,575. I payed $47,800 before taxes. That's around a 7.5% discount.

Does that seem inline with what people usually pay?

Thanks Guys!

Danny A.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2008, 10:19 AM   #2
Dubbedoutbimmer
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335XI Coupe Loaded w/body kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny271 View Post
Hey Guys,

I ordered my car yesterday and wanted to get your oppinions on what type of deal I got.

I ordered a 2008 335XI Coupe w/the following options:

-6 Speed Manual
-Montego Blue Paint
-Premium Package
-Sport Package w/optional 18s
-Cold Weather Package
-Navigation
-HD Radio
-iPod USB

with Destination Charges the car came out to $51,575. I payed $47,800 before taxes. That's around a 7.5% discount.

Does that seem inline with what people usually pay?

Thanks Guys!

Danny A.
no offence but come on now there is only 7% mark up in the vehicle....some ppl are just never happy with what they get!!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2008, 11:41 AM   #3
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spd Coupe

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
I'd say you're in the ballpark. I did a little bit better (I was 8.5% off MSRP), so it sounds like you did fine.

Congratulations on the new car!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2008, 12:05 PM   #4
Danny271
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbedoutbimmer View Post
no offence but come on now there is only 7% mark up in the vehicle....some ppl are just never happy with what they get!!
I was just asking a simple question to see if I was in the general ballpark of what people are paying. I never said I wasn't satisfied with what I paid...

What a warm welcoming too! I really do appreciate the BMW hospitality...cough*Dubbedoutbimmer*cough.

Thank You AWD Addict! And nice job on negotiating your sale price!

-Danny A.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2008, 12:10 PM   #5
nomarfuego
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 335xi

My deal worked out to be 1.9% below invoice / 10.7% below MSRP. I never negotiate from MSRP, though.
      06-18-2008, 12:30 PM   #6
gravediggingaditch
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 e92

I'm going to second part of what doubedoutbimmer said - but in an different sense. I don't think you were being ungrateful or unhappy with what you got and you probably really want to know how you did.

First I'll say congrats on the new ride. . . . and it sounds like you did a great deal negotiating. Good job.

Your question comes up quite frequently on these forums. I never really understand it - I can understand asking before you sign the contract, in an effort to figure out what you should be aiming for. But there are soooooo many variables that it makes this issue really pointless. . . especially after the fact. Leasing, Buying, Financing, Economics, Style of Car, If its in stock, politics, desperation of salesman, etc, etc, etc. In any event, asking this question in this forum - you are going to get a range of replies that won't tell you anything really. There will be people that will be rude, and there will be people that lie. There will be people that will tell you that they got X% under Invoice and some of them will be telling the truth. . . .and some wont. There will be people who will have paid more and then there will be those who paid less. No matter what though, you've done what you've done and paid what you paid. This question can come up and bite you in the ass and make you feel like crap . . . but I would guess if you paid MSRP for the car, you wouldn't be posting this here because you should already know you probably could have gotten a better deal - although maybe not. Not sure if you are looking for some sort of satisfaction from knowing if you did a good job on negotiating, but looking here for isn't always the best idea IMO. If you need to come here to find out how you did, or if you are coming here to boast about your success, it doesn't matter (and I'm not saying you are boasting - I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say you are genuine). . . .and I absolutely do not mean to offend you in any way. Anyways, congrats on your buy man. Good luck with everything and enjoy it.

For me? I guess I just don't understand it - why people ask this question. Sorry for ranting on your thread.

Congrats again. and welcome to the forums.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2008, 01:02 PM   #7
will@longbeachbmw
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravediggingaditch View Post
I'm going to second part of what doubedoutbimmer said - but in an different sense. I don't think you were being ungrateful or unhappy with what you got and you probably really want to know how you did.

First I'll say congrats on the new ride. . . . and it sounds like you did a great deal negotiating. Good job.

Your question comes up quite frequently on these forums. I never really understand it - I can understand asking before you sign the contract, in an effort to figure out what you should be aiming for. But there are soooooo many variables that it makes this issue really pointless. . . especially after the fact. Leasing, Buying, Financing, Economics, Style of Car, If its in stock, politics, desperation of salesman, etc, etc, etc. In any event, asking this question in this forum - you are going to get a range of replies that won't tell you anything really. There will be people that will be rude, and there will be people that lie. There will be people that will tell you that they got X% under Invoice and some of them will be telling the truth. . . .and some wont. There will be people who will have paid more and then there will be those who paid less. No matter what though, you've done what you've done and paid what you paid. This question can come up and bite you in the ass and make you feel like crap . . . but I would guess if you paid MSRP for the car, you wouldn't be posting this here because you should already know you probably could have gotten a better deal - although maybe not. Not sure if you are looking for some sort of satisfaction from knowing if you did a good job on negotiating, but looking here for isn't always the best idea IMO. If you need to come here to find out how you did, or if you are coming here to boast about your success, it doesn't matter (and I'm not saying you are boasting - I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say you are genuine). . . .and I absolutely do not mean to offend you in any way. Anyways, congrats on your buy man. Good luck with everything and enjoy it.

For me? I guess I just don't understand it - why people ask this question. Sorry for ranting on your thread.

Congrats again. and welcome to the forums.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2008, 02:27 PM   #8
Houman21
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Nothin right now

I'm getting my car from Will - he's actually giving it to me for free.
      06-18-2008, 03:41 PM   #9
nomarfuego
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 335xi

LOL!
      06-18-2008, 04:07 PM   #10
will@longbeachbmw
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houman21 View Post
I'm getting my car from Will - he's actually giving it to me for free.
Wait - I thought the agreement was I was going to pay you to buy a car from me?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2008, 08:47 PM   #11
Danny271
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Typical

For everyone that provided me with feedback relevant to my posted question, thank you. For any of your opinions provided thereafter, I could care less.

Have a great day,

Danny
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2008, 09:51 PM   #12
gravediggingaditch
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 e92

your welcome - I think at least 2 of my sentences were relevant - the rest obviously not
sorry for jacking your thread with my digressive thoughts

congrats again
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2008, 12:50 AM   #13
Houman21
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Nothin right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by will@longbeachbmw View Post
Wait - I thought the agreement was I was going to pay you to buy a car from me?
I forget how dope my negotiating skills are

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny271 View Post
For everyone that provided me with feedback relevant to my posted question, thank you. For any of your opinions provided thereafter, I could care less.

Have a great day,

Danny
Dude, don't take any of us too seriously. All that matters is that you are happy with the deal. If you paid less than you were planning on spending - then that is money in your pocket. I had originally placed an order on an M3 and cancelled because it was more than I was comfortable paying at that time(plus I'm convinced they are going to make it a twin turbo V8)

What good is it to find out of your deal was good after you made it? I went to Long Beach because I heard good things about the establishment including the service dept. Could I have gotten a better deal if I really wanted to - probably - but who has the time to deal with 20+ dealerships back and forth - I know I don't. I would rather pay a touch extra and get better service at the dealership.
I know it matters to some people, but once you cross 40-50k - what the hell is $300 going to do for you?

I hope I didn't offend you but there is plenty of good info that can be found by doing a thorough

Enjoy the car bro!!

Last edited by Houman21; 06-19-2008 at 01:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2008, 10:27 PM   #14
2manycars1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Cv

People like to be told what great negotiators they are

The poster knows he got a good deal, but he (and many others) like to show everyone on here what terrific deals they got. The post should not be "did I overpay," but I got a terrific deal and this post is really good for my ego.

So with that in mind, you could have done better. But then again as you put it yourself, "you have dopey negotiating skills?" Is that a good thing?
Appreciate 0