E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Broken USB iPod port in armrest

09-20-2011, 10:23 AM   #1
rtgirard
1-5-3-6-2-4
United_States
Rep
Drives: Awaiting 2013 335xi -

Red face **FIXED** Broken USB iPod port in armrest

Yes, I am indeed a moron. I broke the USB port in the armrest.

Does anyone have part number info and/or replacement instructions for just the USB port? I was searching realoem but only finding the entire retrofit kit.

Thanks in advance for any help.

/edit - i found this PN: 65410445465 http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...5&fg=95&hl=611

Is it possible that's what I need?

/edit again - no... it looks like that's still the entire retrofit kit.

Last edited by rtgirard; 09-27-2011 at 02:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 01:54 PM   #2
rtgirard
1-5-3-6-2-4
United_States
Rep

For anyone who cares:

The correct part # is: 84109237653 $36.84

This is for the USB that is set in one molded piece of plastic with the 3.5mm mini aux jack. Apparently there is a second version in which the USB and aux jacks are separate pieces.

Big thanks to Jason @ Tischer for helping me with this!

Link: http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...14672&items=10
Attached Images

Last edited by rtgirard; 09-22-2011 at 01:57 PM.. Reason: added image
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2011, 10:42 PM   #3
nasos65
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i

replacement of usb/aux on a 2007 E90

Any info about removing the entire console in order to reach and replace and usb/aux audio input on a 2007 E90 auto withour idrive? mine broke and I have found only info about removing only the console trim! any help or input will be greatly appreciated
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2011, 01:21 PM   #4
rtgirard
1-5-3-6-2-4
United_States
Rep

I wish I'd taken pictures during the install... i'd have posted a DIY.

I'll try to describe the entire process in detail:

(This is FYI only... If you break something, don't blame me!)

First, you do not need to remove the entire console. I'm not fully sure if the pre-LCI cars are the same, but this is certainly true for the 2009+ e90.

Also, I'm not at all sure about the e92 or the e93. The consoles might be different, so keep that in mind.

Here are the steps I used:

1 - Open armrest and remove the rubber liner of the little tray in there (the spot where you'd put your phone). With the liner out, you can see down into the console. The curved plastic thing you see is the duct work for the A/C to the outlet on the back of the console.

2 - Remove the trim piece from the back of the console by sitting in the back seat and working slowly to pry around the seam until all the clips release. You'll have to work at this... and go slowly! Don't crack any of the clips. A plastic pry-tool would probably come in handy, although I didn't use one. Be careful when the piece finally comes loose as there is a wire that connects the temp dial to the console... you don't need to disconnect it... just carefully set the trim piece to the side a bit without stretching/breaking the wire.

3 - Looking into the back of the console, you see where the A/C duct empties out into the vent piece on the trim you just removed. It is not fastened to the console, it just sits in there and those little tabs on both side of the end of the duct kinda hold it in place. Carefully work the duct to get it loose, then pull it toward the back of the car. Mine did not come out very far.

4 - Sit in the Driver's seat (or maybe passenger's if you're left handed) and stick something down the hole you uncovered to get leverage on the end of the duct closer to the front of the car. A plastic tool with a lip or hook on the end of it would be really handy. I did this with my left hand while I reached back with my right to get my index finger on the bottom of the module that contains the USB and Aux jacks.

EDIT - I wasn't clear here... by "get leverage" I mean you use something to push the duct toward the back of the car. This gives you enough room to reach the back of the console with your other hand and get that finger on the bottom of the module.

4a - DO NOT DROP WHATEVER YOU USE TO PUSH ON THE DUCT DOWN INTO THE CONSOLE. YOU MIGHT NEVER SEE IT AGAIN WITHOUT TAKING THE ENTIRE CONSOLE OUT.

5 - Once you get a finger on the bottom of the module, just push up. The whole module should pop out of the receptacle.

6 - The wires to the bottom of the module are kinda tight and short, so I used a really small pair of ViseGrips to clamp onto them so they wouldn't fall back down into the console where I wouldn't be able to reach them.

7 - Disconnect the wires from the old module, plug them into the new module, then plug the new module back into the receptacle.

8 - Go back into the back seat and start working on putting the A/C duct back into place. This took me a while. Keep at it. It needs to go all the way back into the same spot it was before so the trim can sit correctly and clip back into place. then replace the trim and put your rubber liner back in the armrest.

9 - Have a beer. And listen to some music from your iPod while you sit in the driveway with your wife shaking her head at you. That's what I did.

Last edited by rtgirard; 09-27-2011 at 01:32 PM.. Reason: clarification
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 11:30 PM   #5
QLD
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 LCI E92 - Mineral White

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtgirard View Post

5 - Once you get a finger on the bottom of the module, just push up. The whole module should pop out of the receptacle.

6 - The wires to the bottom of the module are kinda tight and short, so I used a really small pair of ViseGrips to clamp onto them so they wouldn't fall back down into the console where I wouldn't be able to reach them.

7 - Disconnect the wires from the old module, plug them into the new module, then plug the new module back into the receptacle.
Unfortunately I also have to change the USB / AUX port (84109237653) due to it breaking inside.

A question for anyone with experience with this. Given the step outlined above simply states to 'push the module up with a finger and then it pops out'... does anyone know if its just possible to stick a hook shape tool inside the usb port opening, hook it around inside and then simply pull it out?

Given that it is going to be replaced anyway, it doesnt matter that it will be damaged.... but avoiding having to remove the trim and the A/C ducting inside the console if its not really necessary, is paramount.

Anyone know if it can be 'pulled out' from its place inside the console?

Thx

..sweet torquin' diesel!
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 07:54 AM   #6
rtgirard
1-5-3-6-2-4
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by QLD View Post
Unfortunately I also have to change the USB / AUX port (84109237653) due to it breaking inside.

... does anyone know if its just possible to stick a hook shape tool inside the usb port opening, hook it around inside and then simply pull it out?

Anyone know if it can be 'pulled out' from its place inside the console?

Thx
I'm going to make a guess that if you had a small enough dental pick with a hook on it, you could possibly pull out the module if you could get a strong purchase on it. It does not take a lot of force to pop it out, just enough to overcome the pressure from the spring tabs on each side.

That said, if you can't get a good enough hold with a pick, the process I went through above sounds much worse than it is. As long as you work methodically and slowly, there isn't much chance of screwing anything up. You just need to be careful removing the trim around back and careful not to drop anything down inside the console from the top while you have it apart.

Good luck... hope that helps.
      04-23-2013, 08:37 AM   #7
utfenix335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i; 2015 X5 50i

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Thanks for the write up. I'll try this tonight to investigate why my iphone 4s won't sync and charge. For some reason, it'll play music through the aux but not through usb where I can control it from the steering wheel and radio controls.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 11:17 AM   #8
rtgirard
1-5-3-6-2-4
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by utfenix335i View Post
Thanks for the write up. I'll try this tonight to investigate why my iphone 4s won't sync and charge. For some reason, it'll play music through the aux but not through usb where I can control it from the steering wheel and radio controls.
Good luck.

If you're lucky, it might just be the wire on the bottom of the USB module is loose.
      06-23-2013, 06:42 PM   #9
fventura03
Private
Rep
Drives: 335xi

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/84109237653/ES2194689/

just ordered this, ecstuning has pics
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2013, 07:21 PM   #10
clemsonkev
OOOO another former Audi B5 S4 owner OOOO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 997 Carrera S (sold the M2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fventura03 View Post
http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/84109237653/ES2194689/

just ordered this, ecstuning has pics
so will this provide a digital connection from the USB to the head unit?
so that you can control the content on a USB stick via the stereo?

or, does this just provide an analog signal to the head unit from both the aux and USB inputs?

thanks,
Kevin
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 08:12 PM   #11
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

If it fell in you can get it by going through the ebrake boot
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 08:49 PM   #12
clemsonkev
OOOO another former Audi B5 S4 owner OOOO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 997 Carrera S (sold the M2)

no, it didn't fall through. I only have the aux input currently.

A long shot, but I wondered if this would enable USB playback (if BMW had the proper wiring in place and only this input from ECS was needed).
Appreciate 0