E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > Haggling Tactics @ the dealer ....

09-27-2010, 06:15 PM   #23
DCDeac
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Here's a question... A dealer ordered a car for me and it's on the boat. In the meantime they've ignored my phone calls and emails for a solid 3 weeks to hash out financing versus leasing. They finally call me yesterday, when I literally have one day to make a decision due to my schedule prior to October 1.

In the meantime, I naturally contacted a competing dealer, who has since offer $500 under invoice if I order prior to October. This is probably around a $400+ improvement on the deal. Plus the delay made me wait on buying a plane ticket for PD, so I'm out $200 because of that as well if I stick with the current car.

I didn't sign anything or put any money down on the other car, so I assume I can just bail and re-order with the other dealer. Obviously I want to show some loyalty to the first deal, but they kinda screwed me by ignoring me for so long.

What do people think? Enough of a difference to make it worthwhile? How much of a difference would be worth bailing for? Internal debate raging...
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2010, 06:31 PM   #24
Ali.K_BMW
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 330i xDrive

Garage List
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCDeac View Post
Here's a question... A dealer ordered a car for me and it's on the boat. In the meantime they've ignored my phone calls and emails for a solid 3 weeks to hash out financing versus leasing. They finally call me yesterday, when I literally have one day to make a decision due to my schedule prior to October 1.

In the meantime, I naturally contacted a competing dealer, who has since offer $500 under invoice if I order prior to October. This is probably around a $400+ improvement on the deal. Plus the delay made me wait on buying a plane ticket for PD, so I'm out $200 because of that as well if I stick with the current car.

I didn't sign anything or put any money down on the other car, so I assume I can just bail and re-order with the other dealer. Obviously I want to show some loyalty to the first deal, but they kinda screwed me by ignoring me for so long.

What do people think? Enough of a difference to make it worthwhile? How much of a difference would be worth bailing for? Internal debate raging...
I did not read the release yet. However, if you ordered a car, and they submitted your app to BMW. You are protected from the 1% increase. Contact your dealer and confirm they submitted the app. I would stick with the dealer that you ordered with as a courtesy. As to them not answering your calls...I do not know what to tell you.
      09-27-2010, 06:34 PM   #25
DCDeac
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackfiend View Post
I did not read the release yet. However, if you ordered a car, and they submitted your app to BMW. You are protected from the 1% increase. Contact your dealer and confirm they submitted the app. I would stick with the dealer that you ordered with as a courtesy. As to them not answering your calls...I do not know what to tell you.
Yeah, I'm not worried about the 1%, it's just the other offer is cheaper by a significant amount. Because they ignored me it's basically their fault there is even another offer on the table.

I'd certainly prefer to be loyal, but for basically $600 in cash in my pocket? That's a hard argument to make when they are the ones who dropped the ball. How bad is it for a dealer when someone ditches an order anyway? It's a nice setup, only non-popular option is it's a manual.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2010, 07:14 PM   #26
StealYourFace
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M 6mt, E36 M3

Why would a business with a huge overhead take a deal with a 1% margin?
Any why would a sales person want to work with somebody who is going to gring them down to such an awful deal to make $150 for a days work? What kind of service would that customer have the right to expect?

I understand that people don't want to get effed, but at some point people need to get over the fact that businesses need to turn a profit to pay thier bills and employees and keep thier head above water.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2010, 11:12 PM   #27
CIGARGUY
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 e90

After 12 years as a sales manager in the car business, here is how I would handle that. Give them a call and tell them you've been trying to reach them for 3 weeks but they wouldn't take/return your attempts to contact them. You assumed that meant they didn't want your business so you went elsewhere and got a better deal. If they want to extend the same offer to you, you'll do the deal with them. If not, no hard feelings. Move on to dealer #2 and get your car.
      09-28-2010, 09:28 AM   #28
DCDeac
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIGARGUY View Post
After 12 years as a sales manager in the car business, here is how I would handle that. Give them a call and tell them you've been trying to reach them for 3 weeks but they wouldn't take/return your attempts to contact them. You assumed that meant they didn't want your business so you went elsewhere and got a better deal. If they want to extend the same offer to you, you'll do the deal with them. If not, no hard feelings. Move on to dealer #2 and get your car.
Thanks. That's how I'm leaning. I'll give them an opportunity to match or come close enough either by price or a discount on an SSK or something.

Hopefully it'll work out.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2010, 01:52 PM   #29
nyc4runnin
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

thanks for everyone's input, i am considering ED when i purchase if i have the time off from work ...

As someone else posted - how did they manage to get the dealer to offer $500 BELOW invoice ? wouldnt that be a $500 loss to the dealer ?

also if i plan to order around xmas time, for euro delivery around spring - would that be reasonable time ? and would the end of the year ordering give me more leverage on negotiating ?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2010, 03:00 PM   #30
Ali.K_BMW
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 330i xDrive

Garage List
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc4runnin View Post
thanks for everyone's input, i am considering ED when i purchase if i have the time off from work ...

As someone else posted - how did they manage to get the dealer to offer $500 BELOW invoice ? wouldnt that be a $500 loss to the dealer ?

also if i plan to order around xmas time, for euro delivery around spring - would that be reasonable time ? and would the end of the year ordering give me more leverage on negotiating ?
Programs changed every month. We don't know when there is special money back or different rates. It's a gamble.