E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > Buying someone else's 328i after their lease?

09-22-2010, 10:46 PM   #1
MrSteak
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' 335i Coupe (6-speed)

Buying someone else's 328i after their lease?

We have a 328i sedan lease ending this month, and we would buy it if we had X-drive. So, we looked at some CPO cars but with most used cars you never know what you'll get. So, a family friend is returning their leased 328xi sedan in November, and we're looking to buy it since we know them, their driving habits, and the car itself.

Both cars are leased from the same dealership, so I was wondering what the best course of action would be if we wanted to buy out their lease instead of ours?

-Take over lease for the last month, and just buy it out?

-Have them buy out their own lease, and sell us the car?

-Or, we'd probably just be better off buying a CPO vehicle with the warranty and everything else? (Even though we don't know what the previous owner did to the car.)
      09-22-2010, 11:17 PM   #2
AlanAZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 325i sport manual

A one month car rental might be the most cost effective.

As for the new bmw, run the numbers.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2010, 12:19 PM   #3
bavarianboar
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 540i, 2020 430i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSteak View Post
We have a 328i sedan lease ending this month, and we would buy it if we had X-drive. So, we looked at some CPO cars but with most used cars you never know what you'll get. So, a family friend is returning their leased 328xi sedan in November, and we're looking to buy it since we know them, their driving habits, and the car itself.

Both cars are leased from the same dealership, so I was wondering what the best course of action would be if we wanted to buy out their lease instead of ours?

-Take over lease for the last month, and just buy it out?

-Have them buy out their own lease, and sell us the car?

-Or, we'd probably just be better off buying a CPO vehicle with the warranty and everything else? (Even though we don't know what the previous owner did to the car.)
Not sure if you can transfer lease with only a couple of months left

Multiple sale/purchase means more tax is paid to the state. Thats the worst way to go about it.

Dealer would want to sell it for a higher price, once it is CPOd since you know about the car, he will probably not give much wiggle room either.

There's got to be a neat way to get that car.

Driving: 2020 540i M-Sport Carbon Black, Ivory Nappa - Dec 2019 BTO - Feb 2020 Delivery
Returned: 2016 535i M-Sport Carbon Black, Ivory Nappa :: 2014 F30 335i M-Sport Min Grey, Coral Red :: 2011 E90 328i Deep Sea Blue, Oyster Dakota
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2010, 07:16 PM   #4
MrSteak
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' 335i Coupe (6-speed)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanAZ View Post
A one month car rental might be the most cost effective.

As for the new bmw, run the numbers.
Well, looking at the numbers they'll probably be fairly close. It's just a matter of if there are any tricks, or easy ways to buy out someone else's lease before it's traded in and goes up to CPO prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianboar View Post
Not sure if you can transfer lease with only a couple of months left

Multiple sale/purchase means more tax is paid to the state. Thats the worst way to go about it.

Dealer would want to sell it for a higher price, once it is CPOd since you know about the car, he will probably not give much wiggle room either.

There's got to be a neat way to get that car.

If we buy out their lease, then it won't be a CPO so we won't get the extended warranty. (Although, we can always buy that later.) We could always try some random CPO, but who knows how badly that was treated or what problems it's had.

I was even thinking about letting them return their leased 328xi.... and when it goes back on sale (however long that process takes), then we go in and lowball with cash for a quick sale. (Considering it will now have an extended warranty included.)

Still not sure if there is an easier way... which is why I'm here asking for advice.
      09-23-2010, 07:46 PM   #5
bavarianboar
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 540i, 2020 430i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSteak View Post
Well, looking at the numbers they'll probably be fairly close. It's just a matter of if there are any tricks, or easy ways to buy out someone else's lease before it's traded in and goes up to CPO prices.

If we buy out their lease, then it won't be a CPO so we won't get the extended warranty. (Although, we can always buy that later.) We could always try some random CPO, but who knows how badly that was treated or what problems it's had.

I was even thinking about letting them return their leased 328xi.... and when it goes back on sale (however long that process takes), then we go in and lowball with cash for a quick sale. (Considering it will now have an extended warranty included.)

Still not sure if there is an easier way... which is why I'm here asking for advice.
Returning the lease and buying the CPO car from the dealer may not be the best way to go about it. Once the dealer knows you want that car, you cant really low ball and expect a good deal.

Chances are, he would want to sell it to a customer who is probably bringing him more profit.

I have no clue if the lease return can be bought by someone else, without the car being CPOd. BMWFS owns the car, not the dealer. How a third party comes into picture thats something to be figured out. If it is possible and happens that way, an extended warranty would be the way to go, since u know enough about the car, and CPO rigorous check is not adding more points towards your peace of mind. You probably know more about the car than anyone would know it as a CPOd car after it comes back for sale.

May be some dealer can answer your question. Might also try the other bmw forum

Driving: 2020 540i M-Sport Carbon Black, Ivory Nappa - Dec 2019 BTO - Feb 2020 Delivery
Returned: 2016 535i M-Sport Carbon Black, Ivory Nappa :: 2014 F30 335i M-Sport Min Grey, Coral Red :: 2011 E90 328i Deep Sea Blue, Oyster Dakota
Appreciate 0