E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Are the XI's sway bar end links longer than the I's?

01-09-2013, 02:03 PM   #1
UltraRacer13
Wannabe Track Rat
British Virgin Islands
Rep
Drives: 17 OG M2

Are the XI's sway bar end links longer than the I's?

I am curious- I measured mine at 13.5 in, but I read OEM are 11.5. Any one know?
      01-09-2013, 02:59 PM   #2
jeguth1s
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330xi

The rears should be the same. Not sure about the fronts.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 03:48 PM   #3
UltraRacer13
Wannabe Track Rat
British Virgin Islands
Rep

Pretty sure the fronts are 11.5 on the I and 13.5 on the XI. Looking for confirmation.
      01-09-2013, 03:51 PM   #4
pits200
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i X-Drive Black Sapphire

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraRacer13 View Post
Pretty sure the fronts are 11.5 on the I and 13.5 on the XI. Looking for confirmation.
That would make sense since the i sits lower than xi.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 04:44 PM   #5
pits200
Colonel
United_States
Rep

You made me think about my endlinks. I just changed mine and was reading that it says we want longer sways if the car is lowered.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 01:11 PM   #6
MassBimmer
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 M50

Garage List
2009 BMW  [9.24]
Yes, front sway bar end links are substantially longer on the xi at 13.5 inches. The only adjustable end links I could find that fit are the HP Autowerks adjustable end links. The lower you go, the longer the end link will need to be to be able to reach to stay at the correct angle
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 03:11 PM   #7
UltraRacer13
Wannabe Track Rat
British Virgin Islands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassBimmer View Post
Yes, front sway bar end links are substantially longer on the xi at 13.5 inches. The only adjustable end links I could find that fit are the HP Autowerks adjustable end links. The lower you go, the longer the end link will need to be to be able to reach to stay at the correct angle
what size did you order from Harold? also..silly question...what angle do I set the sway at? How do I measure it? Thanks.
      01-17-2013, 04:16 PM   #8
MassBimmer
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 M50

Garage List
2009 BMW  [9.24]
Quote:
what size did you order from Harold? also..silly question...what angle do I set the sway at? How do I measure it? Thanks.
I told him mine measured at 13.5 so he hooked me up. I didn't install them myself so I can't answer your second question.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 07:49 PM   #9
pits200
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Won't it depend on if the strut has a mounting point similar to the stock strut? The Meyle links are shorter than the xi ones and my car seems to handle so much better now after swapping.

Also, is the point suppose to be no load on the sways and endlinks when the car is sitting on the ground?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 10:51 AM   #10
UltraRacer13
Wannabe Track Rat
British Virgin Islands
Rep

I ordered the 13.5's from Harold as well. (same length as oem). They are also the same length as the M3 apparently. The important thing I learned when looking at the car on the lift is (at least for the AST's) the mounting point on the strut is orientated 90 degrees from the oem strut. The bracket is not mounted in the center of the strut, but askew, and made to be set running front to back- not side to side. The end links on the XI have a 180 degree orientation, but you really need a 90 degree orientation for the correct fitment with the AST's. The adjustable endlinks from Harold solve this issue.

The length of the link is of less concern with the AST's as the mount on the strut is adjustable. I noticed this issue because I found my RF endlink was coming into contact with my drive axel, actually causing wear on the endlink. It is due to the endlink having to be twisted a bit to fit the mounting point.

Just wanted to pass on what I learned.
      01-23-2013, 08:03 PM   #11
pits200
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I ordered the 13.5's from Harold as well. (same length as oem). They are also the same length as the M3 apparently. The important thing I learned when looking at the car on the lift is (at least for the AST's) the mounting point on the strut is orientated 90 degrees from the oem strut. The bracket is not mounted in the center of the strut, but askew, and made to be set running front to back- not side to side. The end links on the XI have a 180 degree orientation, but you really need a 90 degree orientation for the correct fitment with the AST's. The adjustable endlinks from Harold solve this issue.

The length of the link is of less concern with the AST's as the mount on the strut is adjustable. I noticed this issue because I found my RF endlink was coming into contact with my drive axel, actually causing wear on the endlink. It is due to the endlink having to be twisted a bit to fit the mounting point.

Just wanted to pass on what I learned.
I'm curious what you mean by the orientation. Obviously the endlink going into the sway is at 12oclock and the one going into the strut is probably 3 oclock. Is that how your setup was prior?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 03:05 PM   #12
UltraRacer13
Wannabe Track Rat
British Virgin Islands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pits200 View Post
I'm curious what you mean by the orientation. Obviously the endlink going into the sway is at 12oclock and the one going into the strut is probably 3 oclock. Is that how your setup was prior?
Ok I'll try to explain better. The oem tab on the strut that the end link connects to faces directly toward the opposite wheel, so the bolt runs north/south (assuming car pointing north) or if a boat guy fore/aft. On my AST's, the tab is not mounted in the center of the strut, but off to the side and is meant to point to the front of the car, so the bolt would go into it facing the wheel.

I can mount the endlink on it, by rotating it slightly aft, but it doesn't quite line up correctly. Think of the endlink as a 3d "S". Then take the top bolt and rotate it 90 degrees. Thats what I need.

ANSWER= Adjustable endlink from Harold.
      01-24-2013, 04:47 PM   #13
ajsalida
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 95 M3, 02 R1150GSA, 09 335xi

So pits200, do you think the issues you had were just the AST's link attachment collar initially maybe not being at the right height plus perhaps the wrong orientation as ultraracer13 is saying?

I'm asking because so many people have lowered their cars and yours is the first I've heard of the OEM end links length being a problem. The sway bar is supposed to rotate in the bushings anyway when you go over bumps, so unless it is binding in there somehow I don't get it. I have not been under my car yet to look at mine though.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 09:43 PM   #14
SaviorXi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i xDrive coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsalida View Post
So pits200, do you think the issues you had were just the AST's link attachment collar initially maybe not being at the right height plus perhaps the wrong orientation as ultraracer13 is saying?

I'm asking because so many people have lowered their cars and yours is the first I've heard of the OEM end links length being a problem. The sway bar is supposed to rotate in the bushings anyway when you go over bumps, so unless it is binding in there somehow I don't get it. I have not been under my car yet to look at mine though.
Sorry to revive this old thread but I have some endlink questions. I just upgraded my suspension again with the TCKline shortened XI Koni yellows with eibach pro springs and as I understand it the Koni endlink sway mounting location was changed on the Koni to accommodate the front drop on the Xi. I also installed the UUC swaybarbarian front sway bar and new Meyle HD endlinks. Will these Meyle HD endlinks be ok with my setup or should I get the HP adjustable links? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 07:06 AM   #15
ajsalida
Colonel
Rep

I think the idea on the mod by TCK is to return the sway bar ends where the bottom end of links attach to a more horizontal/neutral orientation, so the OEM links should be fine. FWIW I don't think anyone using stock links with ordinary konis & eibachs had any problems (eg I don't), just shocks like AST's and some others had different mounting tab orientation, and combined with lowering there was interference. HP will be happy to sell you anything but I am not sure you need it in your case.

The "problem" being fixed by the TCK mod is, briefly, when the car is lowered by say 2", this moves the hub and everything bolted to it up 2" relative to the chassis, including the lower shock body. The sway bar link mounting tab on the shock body is one of those things, and this then pulls on the link and rotates the bar in its mounts up out of horizontal, where it had a better lever arm. Lowering the mounting tab the same amount as the car is dropped then puts the bar ends back to horizontal. Make sense? It is a nice detail mod that you'd not think about unless you do real race car suspensions day in day out like those guys do.

Just to make sure you might want to get under the car with the wheels loaded up (on ramps or whatever), and see what is what.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 09:15 AM   #16
SaviorXi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i xDrive coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsalida View Post
I think the idea on the mod by TCK is to return the sway bar ends where the bottom end of links attach to a more horizontal/neutral orientation, so the OEM links should be fine. FWIW I don't think anyone using stock links with ordinary konis & eibachs had any problems (eg I don't), just shocks like AST's and some others had different mounting tab orientation, and combined with lowering there was interference. HP will be happy to sell you anything but I am not sure you need it in your case.

The "problem" being fixed by the TCK mod is, briefly, when the car is lowered by say 2", this moves the hub and everything bolted to it up 2" relative to the chassis, including the lower shock body. The sway bar link mounting tab on the shock body is one of those things, and this then pulls on the link and rotates the bar in its mounts up out of horizontal, where it had a better lever arm. Lowering the mounting tab the same amount as the car is dropped then puts the bar ends back to horizontal. Make sense? It is a nice detail mod that you'd not think about unless you do real race car suspensions day in day out like those guys do.

Just to make sure you might want to get under the car with the wheels loaded up (on ramps or whatever), and see what is what.
Thanks for the reply. You are always great when it comes to xi/xdrive suspension help.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 09:19 AM   #17
ajsalida
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaviorXi View Post
Thanks for the reply. You are always great when it comes to xi/xdrive suspension help.
You're certainly welcome but if I were you I'd contact TCK just to make sure I'm not full of shit.
Appreciate 0