E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > The new guy - bought a 2011 328i xDrive

04-15-2013, 03:51 PM   #1
chatoyer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 m40i

The new guy - bought a 2011 328i xDrive

Hi all,

New forum member. Picked up a 2011 328i with xDrive a few weeks ago (non-iDrive). I haven't included pics here because, let's face it, we all know what they look like. Plus it needs a wash right now. And it's snowing.

When I lived overseas years ago, I owned a E36 318i with an AT, which many regarded as the red-headed stepchild of the E36 family. Despite that being very true, it handled the road exceptionally well, even if it was a little impotent in the power and torque department. Nonetheless, I loved that car because it was refined.

This E90 I bought is quite impressive, to say the least. I've been spending the past few weeks combing this forum almost exclusively for tips and advice - thanks to all of you for sharing: this forum is simply fantastic.

Anyway, here's a brain dump of my thoughts and experiences thus far:

1. First thing I did - quite literally the day after I purchased it - was to adjust the headlights. They were aimed far too low from the factory. In talking to the salesman a few weeks later, he was surprised I was able to do it. I told him I used a few posts from this forum.

2. I'll be signing up for Assist. I live in a rural area, so I can kind of see the benefit. Only CA$200, which isn't that bad. The subscription is still active right now, but in the previous owner's name.

3. I do wish I could stream bluetooth audio. I don't have the ComBox option, unfortunately, but I do have Bluetooth. Relying on AUX for now.

4. I'll be picking up some winter wheels/tires in the Autumn. Researching options. I'll give the dealer a chance to be competitive with, say, Tire Rack. Not going to expect dollar for dollar matching, but will see what they can do. I'm not driven entirely by price, but rather by forging a good working relationship with a service provider (dealer or otherwise) that I can trust.

5. Speaking of which, I'm not going to be following the OBC's recommendations for service, and instead go old school. In fact, it's been a year since the oil was changed according to the service history I received at the time of purchase, and it's not due for quite some time according to the computer, so I'm booked for a May oil change. Dealer charges CA$120 where I am, which I feel is entirely reasonable (I pay CA$100 for my wife's CRV). Thinking about buying some ramps and learning to do it myself, but I'm not particularly handy.

6. I'm averaging about 27mpg (Imperial), which I'm happy with. 60/40 highway/city.

7. I do need a sunshade, and am toying with whether to shovel $100 to WeatherTech for their custom fit.

8. Sirius worked for the first week, then expired. I didn't cry.

9. Drivers where I live (and I suspect where you do as well, from what I've been reading), are complete idiots around this car. I've never been passed, tailgated or cut off more in my life. My friend, who has a new-ish Quattro, gets the same thing. Classic passive aggressive regret. "Wow, dude, you got a Yaris." "Yeah, man, I pass Bimmers in this thing."

10. Summer is approaching, so I've been collecting ideas from the washing/detailing sub-forum about waxing, clay bars and sprays. Thinking of putting in a massive order with eshine.ca.

11. Speaking of summer, thinking of getting some window tinting done as well. Unsure of the cost as of yet.

Overall, this is a seriously impressive machine. It tracks straight as an arrow, feels sturdy and has more than enough torque and power for my needs.

chatoyer
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 04:01 PM   #2
NJ Krish
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 328xi 2008 Coupe

Garage List
2008 Bmw 328xi  [10.00]
Congratz! on the car and joining the forum.

Nice write up as well.
To give some input in some areas, Oil change do it at home its very easy there are DYI on the forums for it also will be a fraction of what you would pay your dealer ($120 is a lot D. Tires I don't think dealer will budge much with the price Idk about canada haha but would be cheaper on tirerack.

I would ignore the bags of douche that compete with your car, in the end your the one driving an awesome car.

Over all great choice going with the BMW but a picture is a picture no matter how many know what the car would look like.

Post one!!

P.S since you pretty much state your on a budget, I would go through the forum before you purchase something or upgrade something you might save money. It's what I did and there is always someone giving helpful cost saving advice.
Current 2008 Bmw 328xi Coupe Sport N51 /w 3 stage IM | VMR 710 w/ Conti DWS | AA Tune Stage 2 | AA Signature Exhaust | Red Cyba scoops | Lux V4 | Euro-box mod w/ Silicone intake hose | Eibach pro kit w/ Bilstein Sport | Carbon Fiber Hood powerdome | Mtech Bumper w/ Akyrim CF lip

Last edited by NJ Krish; 04-15-2013 at 04:06 PM..
Appreciate 0