E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 3 stages of 335 coupe ownership....before I buy!

01-10-2013, 06:43 PM   #23
Be Awesome 335i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: LeMans 335i M-Sport Coupe

Garage List
I've been stalking these forums for about two years now and finally purchase my obtainable dream car back on 12/22/12!! Been wanting a 335 for years and just haven't been able to justify it but then i woke up one morning and said "screw it, work hard and this is my passion, i WANT a 335i" so i pulled the trigger after months of searching for the "ONE"!! Finally found it at PASSPORT BMW in MD and all i can say is HOLY WOW!!! I love this car and plan to build it to its limits then, a tad more...

Good Luck with your search! Find one, don't settle and pull the trigger..... You wont regret it! Then, come back and show us all your new ride!!!!
      01-11-2013, 02:11 PM   #24
photonic
Rep
Drives: bmw 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Awesome 335i View Post
I've been stalking these forums for about two years now and finally purchase my obtainable dream car back on 12/22/12!! Been wanting a 335 for years and just haven't been able to justify it but then i woke up one morning and said "screw it, work hard and this is my passion, i WANT a 335i" so i pulled the trigger after months of searching for the "ONE"!! Finally found it at PASSPORT BMW in MD and all i can say is HOLY WOW!!! I love this car and plan to build it to its limits then, a tad more...

Good Luck with your search! Find one, don't settle and pull the trigger..... You wont regret it! Then, come back and show us all your new ride!!!!
Will do BA 335i! Still trying to decide if holding out for Nav is worth it. I'm a techie so maybe it is.....
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 07:29 AM   #25
Be Awesome 335i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: LeMans 335i M-Sport Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by photonic View Post
Will do BA 335i! Still trying to decide if holding out for Nav is worth it. I'm a techie so maybe it is.....
If its beating you up that much as to getting it or not then i would say you clearly want it hence, wait for it...
      01-12-2013, 11:15 PM   #26
andrews32
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i

Quote:
Stage 2: Guilt and Remorse....(Internal reflections)>>Why am I getting a coupe? I have a wife and kid for the love of god! Think of the wife and kid...and dog! Fido can sit back there. You won't LET fido set back there. Don't be so selfish..yo. Look at the IS350. I know it sux b@lls and is as soul-less as a Vespa but...but it'll be worry free...just look at the ES300 you're driving now (wife's hand-me-down). Has about 220K miles on it and you've had to replace nothing but your pride. At least ask the wife...see what she says. (Wife says get the coupe..) Stage duration: 2 weeks
I've had my coupe for 8 months, have the wife and kid too. So my stage 2 is broken into two parts:

WEEKDAYS: guilt over the selfish joy of driving my coupe to/from work.

WEEKENDS: remorse that we leave the coupe in the garage when we go out as a family because of the hassle of getting a kid in/out of a coupe.

DURATION: 8 months and counting...
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 11:34 PM   #27
SureShot434
Enforcer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wchilds310 View Post
The guilt and remorse phase only occurs when you aren't driving. I found myself repeatedly questioning spending the money I did on a car that is leaps and bounds above what I need to drive 10 miles to work every day...then I mash the gas pedal, get tossed into my seat, and am back to being beyond thrilled with every aspect of the 335i. The balance between performance and luxury is unlike any other.

Enjoy the new ride!
Exactly how I feel lol

When i'm not driving, I'm like why am I paying $701.26 a month on this car payment!! But then I drive it and get thrown back in my seat, hugging curves and what not, and I'm like Yup I love this car! Totally worth it!

I bought my 2009 335xi in April with 19,272 miles, now after 9 months and some modding it now has 37,000 miles. Hit 37,000 on my way to work tonight. Love every minute of it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker_J View Post
Got my downpayment together (since I decided to keep my old car) went down to the dealer with no intention to buy (lol I know I know). Up until this point I hadn't driven one yet. I drove it and spent a good hour doing a walk around and drilling the salesman with questions he wasn't prepared to answer. Then I finally said OK lets start signing.

That first drive home was

Then I got it home and being my age I got from alot people. Then some remorse set in. "Dude you're only 26 why do you need a car like this?" " You didnt even give yourself enough time to REALLY enjoy the extra money.... great job, idiot" "You have a siberian husky, good look with the fur, bro"
That is alot like my story. I had my 2001 325i in the shop getting a head gasket and Power Steering pump replaced, and they gave me a 335i as a Loner car. I loved it so much, the power and all the extra gadgets that my 2001 doesn't have.

Well my buddy worked at the BMW dealership and we got to talking about the car and he said he had a used one in mind that I would love. I had no intention of buying the car, and I wasn't even looking for a second car at all. Well he showed me the car, and I spent some time driving it. Needless to say I was sold on it. We went inside put together the paperwork, and I drove off in my CPO 2009 335xi and left the 325i for a couple days due to work and picked it up the next week.

I'm 21, but at the time I bought the 335xi I was only 20. People were looking at me like wtf haha they didn't believe that someone who is 20 could afford a car like that. They thought it was my parents, or that my parents paid for it. hahahah made me happy to be able to show them the registration saying that it was my car and their jaws dropped to the ground.

I wouldn't trade me 335xi for the world. The only thing I wish it had was iDrive and that it was a manual. Other than that the car is exactly what I want!

2001 325i Sport

2009 335xi CWP
Right after signing the paperwork

2001 325is / Alcantra Shift Boot / M3 Motor Mounts / Clear Tails, Side Markers, and Signals / Thule Roof Rack / Thule Snowboard Carrier / 15% Tint with Brow

Last edited by SureShot434; 01-12-2013 at 11:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 02:12 AM   #28
spiike32
Major
Rep
Drives: Mineral White F80 M3

All your three stages are quite normal....

Mine:

1. Confusion. Why am I buying parts and mods for a car I don't have yet. It took me 6 months to finally find a Monaco Blue, manual, cpo, clean title, premium, sport, winter, etc etc and let me tell you... you can accumulate a lot of parts in 6 months
2. Excitement. Picked up the car and started modding on day 1 (that was back in 2008).
3. Joy. Out of 15 hrs awake in a day, I spend at least 3 hrs in the car. There is one word, joy.

Why do you feel remorse?

Current: Tesla Model 3 Performance Retired: F80 M3, FBO 335i, 318ti, C7 Stingray
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 12:14 PM   #29
pimp4cheddar
El Capitán
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM X3M

Why didn't you just get a sedan?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 12:49 PM   #30
AndyR83
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 335i FBO

Mine was more like...

1: Whoa, I finally found a perfect E92 in the colors I wanted!

2: Whoa, I've had this thing for a month and I'm blown away by how awesome it is, and how many people say "nice car" in parking lots!

3: Whoa, I can't believe how fast this thing is with only a couple of grand in mods!

4: Hmmm it's been a year and the novelty has worn off. What am I getting next?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 03:38 PM   #31
thomsomc
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi

4. Regret?

I've been lurking here for a while trying to find out whether or not a 335xi is a terrible mistake or not.

I recently found a 2007, NON CPO, 335xi sedan that's an good deal at only $20k and has been taken care of (it was a lease, then a CPO, and I'll be 3rd owner).

However, it sounds like no matter how well taken care of these cars are, they might just fall apart at the seams.

We've all had a girlfriend that ultimately drove us crazy, spent our money, fought with our mom, threw our stuff out the window...but was absolutely unforgettable in bed. She was awful through and through...but when you think about her, all you can think of is how those first couple weeks felt, and to this day you still have a hard time getting her out of your mind.

Is the 335xi the unforgettable girlfriend? No matter what you do, will it always be a problem? Am I trying to justify a non-CPO twin-turbo-time-bomb because I can't stop thinking about the test drive?

I really just want someone to tell me it's not worth it, and I'll walk away. I'm just afraid nobody can, because they all remember the test drive too.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 09:15 PM   #32
photonic
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomsomc View Post
I've been lurking here for a while trying to find out whether or not a 335xi is a terrible mistake or not.

I recently found a 2007, NON CPO, 335xi sedan that's an good deal at only $20k and has been taken care of (it was a lease, then a CPO, and I'll be 3rd owner).

However, it sounds like no matter how well taken care of these cars are, they might just fall apart at the seams.

We've all had a girlfriend that ultimately drove us crazy, spent our money, fought with our mom, threw our stuff out the window...but was absolutely unforgettable in bed. She was awful through and through...but when you think about her, all you can think of is how those first couple weeks felt, and to this day you still have a hard time getting her out of your mind.

Is the 335xi the unforgettable girlfriend? No matter what you do, will it always be a problem? Am I trying to justify a non-CPO twin-turbo-time-bomb because I can't stop thinking about the test drive?

I really just want someone to tell me it's not worth it, and I'll walk away. I'm just afraid nobody can, because they all remember the test drive too.
Thomsomc, I feel your pain but no one can tell you it's time to walk away but you. I've had that girlfriend you described above in both a woman and a BMW. Both nice rides. Nice fat azz. Not so much on the girlfriend...butt I digress. I put about 200K miles on a 2001 X5 and replaced everything from the blower resister, to window regulators. From self leveling suspension to 2 alternators. From the coolant reservoir to the...rest of the plastic cooling system. From the sway bar links...(every 10K) to fixing the dead pixel problems. From the dead left fog light ground wire issue to the water pump(s). Threw good money after bad at that beast (yes, still talking about the X5). Did all the work my-lonsome or I couldn't afford it. After all those issues...and many, many more, I'm still excited. Engine never failed, transmission was as strong as an ox. With all the issues I hear about the E9X, it's nothing compared to what I endured and so I'm like, bring it on! I may be running for the hills after a few months but I highly dought it. I plan on putting a couple hundrend thousand on her, surely will run through some issues but....it's the price you pay. Warped logic coming from an engineer...sure but hey... Just my two cents
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 09:17 PM   #33
photonic
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimp4cheddar View Post
Why didn't you just get a sedan?
I want the coupe. I've got a sedan...not a bmw but still need/want a change of view.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 09:19 PM   #34
photonic
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiike32 View Post
All your three stages are quite normal....

Mine:

1. Confusion. Why am I buying parts and mods for a car I don't have yet. It took me 6 months to finally find a Monaco Blue, manual, cpo, clean title, premium, sport, winter, etc etc and let me tell you... you can accumulate a lot of parts in 6 months
2. Excitement. Picked up the car and started modding on day 1 (that was back in 2008).
3. Joy. Out of 15 hrs awake in a day, I spend at least 3 hrs in the car. There is one word, joy.

Why do you feel remorse?
I felt remorse being a husband and dad getting a coupe without the best of reliability records but...we have another car that's larger so...No remorse. Just one of the stages I went through.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 09:20 PM   #35
photonic
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Awesome 335i View Post
If its beating you up that much as to getting it or not then i would say you clearly want it hence, wait for it...
Roger that. I plan on waiting for it.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 11:07 PM   #36
E92GRL
@E92GRL
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 // E92 // E39-sold

haha i love stage two listen to the wife
      01-14-2013, 11:47 PM   #37
photonic
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandra92 View Post
haha i love stage two listen to the wife
LOL. I'm not ashamed to admit it sista. I'm 6'3, 235.....and she's pretty much the boss.

Last edited by photonic; 01-15-2013 at 07:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 11:48 PM   #38
E92GRL
@E92GRL
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 // E92 // E39-sold

Quote:
LOL. I'm not ashamed to admit it brotha. I'm 6'3, 235.....and she's pretty much the boss.

Since I'm a woman I respect a man who listens to his wife.
      01-15-2013, 07:21 AM   #39
photonic
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandra92 View Post
Since I'm a woman I respect a man who listens to his wife.
Raised by 5 sisters, I'm well trained
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 03:08 PM   #40
photonic
Rep

Please welcome your latest 3 series coupe owner...Me! Pics to come soon (I promise). Specs: 2008 335xi weather,sports and premium package with idrive, 55K miles. Jet Black-ext Carmel (Beige)-int

Some questions...

Satellite prepared-(no clue what this entails...I have the shark fin on top but no 'SAT' options in menu). Is the receiver installed? Options list says Sat prepared....

Ipod cable in glove cmptmnt (but phone not recognized when I plug it in, no CDC in Audio menu). Lost... Is this most likely just plugged into the back of the receiver without a reprogram of the radio?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 04:57 PM   #41
nightops
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i E92

Congrats

Quote:
Please welcome your latest 3 series coupe owner...Me! Pics to come soon (I promise). Specs: 2008 335xi weather,sports and premium package with idrive, 55K miles. Jet Black-ext Carmel (Beige)-int

Some questions...

Satellite prepared-(no clue what this entails...I have the shark fin on top but no 'SAT' options in menu). Is the receiver installed? Options list says Sat prepared....

Ipod cable in glove cmptmnt (but phone not recognized when I plug it in, no CDC in Audio menu). Lost... Is this most likely just plugged into the back of the receiver without a reprogram of the radio?

Thanks
first off- you need to post some pics. I believe satellite prepared means you have access to the satellite stations but have to have a subscription to access them. I have it on mine and it works but i think thats because the subscription was prepaid...
As for the ipod in the glove- on mine it seems to be wired directly into the headunit and responds to the CD1 position on the Navi. Other Cds are in the CD2 etc positions. This is different than the 6fl ipod option where it is wired through the armest and comes in thru the aux input. This is the usual setup for the ipod option
      02-19-2013, 06:08 PM   #42
nightops
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i E92

some perspective

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomsomc View Post

for everyone that complains that the 335s are too unreliable or 'psychotic girlfriends'- you must have never owned a twin turbo 300zx or twin turbo Rx7. The amount of technology and performance that is in the 335i surpasses them by far and you still get 20+ miles per gallon and 4 practical seats. For the pricepoint used this is an amazing car that costs as much as a loaded camry but has the potential to do sub 5 sec 0-60 times . I think the downside is that people will beat on these cars and then turn around and sell them or trade them in with potential issues for the next owner, but when isnt that the case with used cars? So when i hear people complain about some issues with 335s i feel kind of jaded because these are amazing cars that just need proper maintenance for longevity. The fact that bmw has stepped up and warrantied the turbos/wastegates to82k and the fuel pump to 100k? is quite respectable- as Nissan never did this with the 300zx and Mazda either- most people were lucky to make it to 60k on orig turbos and the warranty was up by 36,000miles. So after those two things the rest of the problems with car are the same problems a non aspirated ones would have. On a Bmw- these tend to be more expensive than on Japanese cars but probably on par with Lexus or Infinity. So bottom line is if your going to have a car payment, dont you want to have a car that puts a smile on your face? I like the feel that the turbos give you when you launch- thats not something you get in all cars and certainly not in a camry. I think as long as your happy, nobodies' opinions really matter because cars are not investments, they are disposable appliances that do not appreciate. Therefore, be happy with what you choose to drive and worry about the problems if and when they come...but try to buy a CPO
      02-20-2013, 12:44 AM   #43
marine24
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

Garage List
No remorse in buying the car originally (e90 335i AT, which I sold to a friend a year later and picked up a e92 335i MT. It was my reward for years of hard work; paying off the wifes car (she had the car she wanted, now it was my turn) and signing a new contract with my current job; used part of my bonus to keep total financed amount at the payment I wanted.
The only real remorse I had was not buying an e46 M3 instead; but I'm coming to terms with that. It would have been about the same amount of money. I keep telling myself that I came out ahead. Bigger car (I'm 6'2", 250, not fat just big), newer tech, easier to mod when I want, better for a DD + weekend fun, just kept getting hung up on the fact that "I could have had an M3". I never wanted to be the guy chasing a badge, and my car makes more power than the older M, but still...... Splitting hairs I know
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 12:52 AM   #44
marine24
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nOshi View Post
owning a 335 is best described as a love hate relationship.
You love it, everybody else hates you for it
Appreciate 0