E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Rockies / Midwest > The IOWA thread

01-27-2011, 12:43 AM   #1343
Nedim
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksheep View Post
needle or teaspoon?
Haha funny, seriously though.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 08:41 AM   #1344
Prez
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a few

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedim View Post
Haha funny, seriously though.
Meth is going to be a more of a do it yourself thing around here. Plus your going to need to get tuned. So you may want to check with the closest BMW Dyno or reputable speed shop. aka Kansas City / Chicago

LSD should be able to be handled by any good transmission shop.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 12:09 PM   #1345
blacksheep
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: POS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prez View Post
Meth is going to be a more of a do it yourself thing around here. Plus your going to need to get tuned. So you may want to check with the closest BMW Dyno or reputable speed shop. aka Kansas City / Chicago

LSD should be able to be handled by any good transmission shop.
Check MN too - MA Performance seems to be a very reputable shop for retail, tuning and services.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 12:13 PM   #1346
WERND
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92

Didn't Troy do meth on the STi
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 06:45 AM   #1347
blacksheep
Lieutenant
Rep

Did he? Must have been briefly...
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 02:57 PM   #1348
WERND
Captain
Rep

TROY!?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 03:16 PM   #1349
roybfr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 335i Sedan BSR approved

Yes I ran meth on the STI(that I admittedly miss). As a kit from SMC made for the sti, ran 50/50 meth and water, more meth then that can be a waste IMO. Like Prez said you need a tune after you install it.

It would be at the top of my list on any turbo care as an early mod
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2011, 02:36 AM   #1350
Nedim
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

They make the the coolingmist kit just for the 335 that are jb tuned.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2011, 09:41 AM   #1351
blacksheep
Lieutenant
Rep

I don't know about that, Troy. Most threads I have read say how meth can wash out the cylinder walls and dry up seals. I would do water injection for turbo and engine, not meth.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2011, 10:42 AM   #1352
roybfr
Private First Class
Rep

Having the proper EM control when the spray is happening will prevent too much fule/meth/water entering the combustion chamber to prevent the potential of washing out the walls. Washing out the walls is not a meth issue it is a "too much in the combustion chamber issue and can happen with just fuel, fuel+water, fuel+water+meth, fuel+Nitros, etc etc. Not as big of issue today with fuel injection, but more when idiots would run a giant quad double pumper carburetor on their car.

I would not worry about seals either. For every gallon of 50/50 you run through the car you are running through 20-50 gallons of gas depending how you drive. I usually had to fill my tank every 2-3 fuel fills in my STI. So in the end the mixture is 2.5% or less of meth (since running 50/50), not really enough to cause major seal wear differences. Upping the boost and timing are going to wear out the rest of the motor faster then running a little bit of meth.

You get no octane boost running just water, the water will just cool. So no leaner AFR, maybe a small power increase. Mehh... boring. Go meth or go home.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2011, 10:54 PM   #1353
WERND
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedim View Post
They make the the coolingmist kit just for the 335 that are jb tuned.
How much does that go for
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 12:47 PM   #1354
trboboost91
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 e90

I dont think you need to be tuned after installing a meth injection kit on a
N54 car. They are pretty much self tuning.
The meth/water just allows you to run a higher boost map
When using the jb3 or procede.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 06:37 PM   #1355
Prez
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by trboboost91 View Post
I dont think you need to be tuned after installing a meth injection kit on a
N54 car. They are pretty much self tuning.
The meth/water just allows you to run a higher boost map
When using the jb3 or procede.
With a jb3 or procede?

Sounds like a tune to me since both those things modify the stock tune...

You cannot simply just hook up the meth/water up and get any gains.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 08:21 PM   #1356
trboboost91
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prez View Post
With a jb3 or procede?

Sounds like a tune to me since both those things modify the stock tune...

You cannot simply just hook up the meth/water up and get any gains.
Don't think so?
After installing meth where does one take their BMW to have their jb3 or procede tuned?
Definitely don't have to go to kc or Chicago to have either installed.
The cooling property of the water injection is enough to lower intake temps enough to increase power.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 08:52 PM   #1357
WERND
Captain
Rep

LOL
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 08:57 PM   #1358
blacksheep
Lieutenant
Rep

Aren't JB3 and Procede both piggyback tuning solutions that plugs into the ECU?

So, are you saying they come with an adjusted tune for this meth kit - hence no need for additional tuning?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 10:55 PM   #1359
roybfr
Private First Class
Rep

Where is the face palm emote when you need it.

Meths stoich point is ~6.4:1, has an octane rating of 119, normal fuel is 14.7 and 91/93. When you mix in meth with the fuel via the injection the car must be tuned to shoot for a different AFR because the new mixture has a different stoich point then normal fuel. Since most kits pumps are progressive you also need to change your target based on a given load/boost. The tuning needs to done with a wideband AFR meter that has been calibrated so that x voltage = 1 lambda = stoich point of the new mixture, or someone smart enough to know what to shoot for on the uncalibrated meter. General rule, if at peak your mixture is 25% meth you would shoot for an AFR of 11.1 IIRC from my days with my STI.

Modern ECUs are smart but they are not going to adjust for every mod you toss at them. It's not like the ECU says "Hey I think there is some meth in here, it has and a stoich point of ~6.4, I sense it at 5% at x boost and at 25% at peak boost, let me bust out my HP calc that was programmed into me, should shoot for 12.5 or .85 lambda normally but at for normal gas lambda is 14.7 but we are running a mix that starts at ... oh yeah wait boom! Car is toast.

You own a 45k car, don't step over a months payment to not have it properly tuned. If you can't affor to do so then you can't afford for it to break because that will be really expensive, trust me I know.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 06:24 AM   #1360
trboboost91
Second Lieutenant
Rep

So what your saying is there's no way that 45k car
Could possibly have a "wideband" sensor/s from the factory
That adjust for the addition of the extra fuel you just added?

Im just trying to find out where you go to get a procede or jb3/4
Tuned? Any ideas? Cause I've never heard of having a "tune" done
To one of these cars besides the addition of a jb3/4, procede, canned re-flash or the like, which aren't altered when adding mods.

I think the closest you can get to a "custom" tune is use the Cobb access port
That was just released and find A place certified to use it.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 08:20 AM   #1361
blacksheep
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by trboboost91 View Post
So what your saying is there's no way that 45k car
Could possibly have a "wideband" sensor/s from the factory
That adjust for the addition of the extra fuel you just added?

Im just trying to find out where you go to get a procede or jb3/4
Tuned? Any ideas? Cause I've never heard of having a "tune" done
To one of these cars besides the addition of a jb3/4, procede, canned re-flash or the like, which aren't altered when adding mods.

I think the closest you can get to a "custom" tune is use the Cobb access port
That was just released and find A place certified to use it.
I think you said it right there - If one adds meth to the BMW, best plan would be to get the Accessport and get a custom tune.

I cannot speak confidently about Procede and JB, but I think those have some levels of pre-adjustment based on the mods you may or may not add. I just could not trust them.
In the STi/Evo world - this would compare to a mail-in flash. Its decent out of the box and you can drive on it etc. But, if you get road or dyno tuned, your car is better calibrated.

I would agree Accessport is about the best option there is out there from an affordability/convenience/tuning standpoint.

Plus, I would shoot myself in the face with a shotgun before I ever bought something ever Mr. "Vishnu" -
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 01:41 PM   #1362
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksheep View Post
I think you said it right there - If one adds meth to the BMW, best plan would be to get the Accessport and get a custom tune.

I cannot speak confidently about Procede and JB, but I think those have some levels of pre-adjustment based on the mods you may or may not add. I just could not trust them.
In the STi/Evo world - this would compare to a mail-in flash. Its decent out of the box and you can drive on it etc. But, if you get road or dyno tuned, your car is better calibrated.

I would agree Accessport is about the best option there is out there from an affordability/convenience/tuning standpoint.

Plus, I would shoot myself in the face with a shotgun before I ever bought something ever Mr. "Vishnu" -
I think you need to do a little more research on how these tunes and cars work. Both Procede and JB are not similar to over the counter flashes, at all. It's ok if you dont know how they work, but dont confuse people saying the stuff your saying.

Cobb is a nice tune, but it needs time before its a stellar performer in the BMW world.

There is a large misunderstanding and misconceptions in this thread.

Methanol added to either of those tunes will increase performance, and will allow for more ignition and more boost.
Especially via the autotune features.

Ask me how I know....
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 02:05 PM   #1363
Prez
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSlick View Post
I think you need to do a little more research on how these tunes and cars work. Both Procede and JB are not similar to over the counter flashes, at all. It's ok if you dont know how they work, but dont confuse people saying the stuff your saying.

Cobb is a nice tune, but it needs time before its a stellar performer in the BMW world.

Methanol added to either of those tunes will increase performance, and will allow for more ignition and more boost.

Ask me how I know....
Auto tune? What is this a t pain concert?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 06:08 PM   #1364
blacksheep
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSlick View Post

Ask me how I know....
Let me guess - you are a vishnu nutswinger - angered by my comments about that douche salad? LOL - I keed, I keed.

Yes, I should research it more, but I don't ever plan on buying a BMW.
I said I don't know enough about them and I said I "I think those have some levels of pre-adjustment based". Before that I asked the trboboost91 if that's what he meant when he said they don't need a tune!?!

Speaking of T-Pain: Bartender and Buy u a drank are good songs, Jer! But, Beemer and I know - you love "the apple bottom jeans and the boots with the furrrr..."

PS: Here is my knowledge about auto tune. Hope this does not confuse anyone!

Auto-Tune is an automated pitch-correction and audio-processing software created by Antares Audio Technologies, introduced in 1997.
At first, Auto-Tune was primarily used as a subtle way to cover the mistakes of a vocalist off their game; smoothly sliding the pitch to the correct note. Then, in 1998, Cher’s single Believe came out. People had heard vocoders in the past, but this was different. Cher’s voice snapped from one pitch to the next, as if her vocal chords had been quantized, causing people to ask, “What’s that effect?” It was Auto-Tune, used excessively, to distort the tonal features of the voice.
Appreciate 0