Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > A few questions (TPMS & All Seasons)

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

10-26-2011, 08:21 AM   #1
frankgpass
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

A few questions (TPMS & All Seasons)

Hey guys....I'm in need of 4 new tires and I was looking at getting some Conti DWS or Kuhmo Ecstas (either 4x or ASX). Any input on these? I know a lot of people love the dws but the cost is up there...

If I have a non-bmw shop put the tires on will I still need to bring the car to the bmw dealership to get my tpms set?

Thanks guys!
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2011, 12:45 PM   #2
Gary@TireRack
United_States
Rep
Drives: Formerly 1995 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgpass View Post
Hey guys....I'm in need of 4 new tires and I was looking at getting some Conti DWS or Kuhmo Ecstas (either 4x or ASX). Any input on these? I know a lot of people love the dws but the cost is up there...

If I have a non-bmw shop put the tires on will I still need to bring the car to the bmw dealership to get my tpms set?

Thanks guys!
TPMS will not be affected by a simple tire change so no worries there. Stay away from the older ASX, but the 4X is actually a very good tire for the price.

Tires
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=AH8&...ires/index.jsp

Please refer to 'Gary/E90 Post' as your previous contact when you order online to help support this forum.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2011, 01:56 PM   #3
VMRWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
Continental DWS tires are awesome all-season tires for the money, that's what I usually recommend my customers for all seasons. The 4X isn't too bad though if you are on a tighter budget.
      10-27-2011, 06:51 AM   #4
frankgpass
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks guys...I went with the DWS and they'll be here today! I used your link, Gary.

I assume I can just manually reset the TPMS once the tires are on?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2011, 10:36 AM   #5
Gary@TireRack
United_States
Rep
Drives: Formerly 1995 M3

Found it thanks! Yes, if you have any issues with the TPMS, the reset procedure is in the owners manual. No trip to the dealer is needed.

Please refer to 'Gary/E90 Post' as your previous contact when you order online to help support this forum.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 11:09 AM   #6
frankgpass
Private First Class
Rep

Just wanted to say I had to drive in the 6+ inches of snow we got here in PA yesterday and these tires performed beautifully! Only slipped once and it was my own fault. Granted, I have an XI but it was amazing how well they handled all the snow, slush and ice!

One thing...should I keep stock tire pressures? 36 looks low on the front tires...

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 11:19 AM   #7
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgpass View Post
Just wanted to say I had to drive in the 6+ inches of snow we got here in PA yesterday and these tires performed beautifully! Only slipped once and it was my own fault. Granted, I have an XI but it was amazing how well they handled all the snow, slush and ice!

One thing...should I keep stock tire pressures? 36 looks low on the front tires...

Thanks!
Once we get some warmer weather, you might want to experiment with pressures. I found when switching from OEM Goodyear NCT RFTs to DWS rubber on my 128i that while the grip was still excellent, the initial turn in felt a bit mushy at the OEM pressures of 32/35. Increasing them to about 35/38 helped compensate for the softer sidewalls a bit - but at a slight cost in ride comfort. Otherwise, I can't see any downside to them - especially given the price.

As my 128i usually stays in the garage in bad weather, I'm glad to hear the DWS tires did so well for you during this unseasonal snow. Luckily I'm about 10 miles north of the White House and we had the snow fall but it all melted immediately.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 12:02 PM   #8
Dackz
Hates Speed Limits
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

I had the DWS put on my car 2 weeks ago, didnt take it the snow yet, but they are my spring/summer/fall tires and I chose them because I can use them in March and October when we have 70 degree days followed by a day of snow in CO. So far on dry pavement, they are fantastic. Havent had them in the wet. Quiet, great ride, and handle quite alright. I have my PSI's at 40 all around atm, but will probably be around 38-40 front and 40-42 rear next season. At that, they should be great for handling. Right now they are FAR superior to my old Toyo Proxes 4. So far, DWS for the win.
      10-31-2011, 01:36 PM   #9
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackz View Post
Right now they (DWS) are FAR superior to my old Toyo Proxes 4. So far, DWS for the win.
+1. Proxes 4 shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence with the DWS!

Tom
Appreciate 0