E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > BMW Assist: Modifying US-spec to Europe version?

02-21-2009, 05:11 AM   #1
E90M3CDFR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E91 Sportwagon

BMW Assist: Modifying US-spec to Europe version?

I've been trying to figure out whether there is a relatively simple way to be able to modify a U.S.-spec car with BMW Assist to work on the European network. I've been by BMW in Munich that this is impossible, but the person answering my questions clearly had very limited technical background (did not know for example that the US models now have GSM vice CDMA system).

Is it something that conceivably could be done by replacing the SIM card in the TCU unit with a European one, versus the US (AT&T?)? Or is it something that could be done by somehow (maybe working with BMW and AT&T) to have the SIM card activated for international roaming? Or would it require replacing the TCU?

When I looked at the service menu for the BMW Assist option, it initially showed my unit as not registered (presumably on the GSM network), but once I selected the option, it now shows as "registered". It also displays the IMEI info for the unit (photo attached)

My main interest here would be to able to access the MyInfo options, send Google addresses to the Nav system etc while we are stationed in Europe. Also, if this could be fixed, it would possibly be something that anyone else with a US-spec car in Europe would be able to do (i.e. all the military folks in Germany). That and fixing RTTI....

Maybe it would be worth organizing a group of us to make a joint appeal to BMW NA/BMW AG to address these issues? If anyone is interested, drop me a line at [insert my username on this forum]@gmail.com.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-21-2009, 06:07 AM   #2
Sparky66
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335 E92 Coupe. Jet Black.

You think you guys have it bad. If only that was the case.

In Australia the Bmw Group decided without our intervention or owner research, that BMW Assist will no longer be supported and have thus shut down the system and disabled it in the iDrive menu. Now we are left with a Quasi solution that is limited to dial out upon pressing the SOS button or in event of an Airbag deployment to the Police/Ambulance/ Fire emergency service.
All other features of BMW Assist are now null and void.

When we first purchased and payed annually for this very limited feature i.e........No RTTI, No sending of Google addresses to iDrive (although we did initially have a very basic send address info via BMW internet site) and on top of the already extreme price we pay for these vehicles in Australia, this is totally unacceptable.

BMW need to review there product implementation policy as it was sold to us as a major feature of the iDrive system, only to shaft every Australian BMW owner in the process. We received no form of compensation or apology for their shortcomings or BMW Australia's arrogant nature.
It bewilders and surprises me that no one in this country has pursued this or taken any form of legal action or proceedings against their actions.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2009, 02:54 AM   #3
E90M3CDFR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

You are right, you guys are getting shafted.

I'm surprised at BMW's attitude on the BMW Assist and telematics issues. They've made the technology a central part of their cars and unlike a lot of gadgetry, it actually makes sense. I like the idea that the car could signal emergency response in a bad accident and pass on vital info on impact severity. Might save the lives of someone in my family. Good to have. Likewise, integrating traffic info in to the navi is a good idea; saves time and money. Being able to send address data to the car lessens likelihood of fiddling with GPS in traffic. All for the good of mankind

And since much of the electronic suite onboard now is software that is highly adaptable (vice the older systems that were hardware), you would think that the cars would be more universal because a small programming change would allow the radio/navi/telematics/phone/etc to work in any market, especially if the core comms backbone runs on GSM/GPRS/EDGE/3G, which now covers most of the world (except maybe Korea, Japan).

I just saw another posting on the board from someone trying to get ther US-spec radio working properly in Europe. I have a feeling there a lot of folks impacted by these problems.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2009, 06:39 AM   #4
watrob
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: MY2022 X5 M-Sport 45e White

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky66 View Post
You think you guys have it bad. If only that was the case.

In Australia the Bmw Group decided without our intervention or owner research, that BMW Assist will no longer be supported and have thus shut down the system and disabled it in the iDrive menu. Now we are left with a Quasi solution that is limited to dial out upon pressing the SOS button or in event of an Airbag deployment to the Police/Ambulance/ Fire emergency service.
All other features of BMW Assist are now null and void.

When we first purchased and payed annually for this very limited feature i.e........No RTTI, No sending of Google addresses to iDrive (although we did initially have a very basic send address info via BMW internet site) and on top of the already extreme price we pay for these vehicles in Australia, this is totally unacceptable.

BMW need to review there product implementation policy as it was sold to us as a major feature of the iDrive system, only to shaft every Australian BMW owner in the process. We received no form of compensation or apology for their shortcomings or BMW Australia's arrogant nature.
It bewilders and surprises me that no one in this country has pursued this or taken any form of legal action or proceedings against their actions.
Thats always been BMW's problem ever since there cars have become popular. They feel we need them rather than they need us to buy there cars. I have bought 5 BMW's in the last 18 months ( currently hold 3 BMW's) and we in Australia always lag 12 months behind.

There new March/April production X5 still won't have 6NF (Smartphone Intergration) a $150 option that everyone else in the world gets, problem is half the idiots working at BMW Melbourne would not know what a iPhone was.

You want to listen to there phone on hold system when you ring them in Melbourne, they tell you there cars are world class but they forget to tell you on the recording is that its 12 months into the future for Australian.

They need to loose a few billion dollars and bring them to there sensors and remind them that there customers come first not there bonus!

You cannot even talk to anyone in management in Melbourne because they hide behind there customer call centre, wankers! Try calling Merc in Melbourne, you can talk to the bloke that actually orders your car via the computer sytem back into Germany.

I think I will go back to Mercs in 2010/2011 when there new cars come out, they want to do deals and are looking after there customers! BMW are going for volume sales and they will pay the price in the long run I feel!

MY22 X5 M-Sport 45e White, 22"rims, Red Calipers, Ceramic Pads. Better off saying what it does not have and that's a B&O Audio System, otherwise all option boxes are ticked.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 05:34 PM   #5
blom330
Registered
Rep
Drives: 330i '06

so is there a way to use US based (CDMA) system in EU (GSM) network?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2009, 08:36 PM   #6
diablo2112
2024 M440i GC (G26)
Rep
Drives: 2024 M440i Gran Coupe

European TCU units (marked ECE as the final designator in the part number; US units end in US) are available new on ebay for under $40. I just bought one to get bluetooth running in my car w/o activating Assist. I wonder if you were to simply replace the US TCU with a European unit if that would enable the GSM cell? At that price, might be worth the attempt. The unknown is if the PROGMAN programming is unit specific, or if the MOST network in the car would recognize the new TCU and respond. Anyone know if you need a reprogram?

Also, do we know for certain if the TCU contains a SIM card?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 10:01 AM   #7
E90M3CDFR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Since sometime in late 2007/2008, BMW migrated the TCU systems in the US-spec market to a GSM one (from CDMA). From what I've read in the press, these services are now provided by AT&T in the US. I've also read the early GSM TCU's in the US were not capable of receiving BMW Assist, but that obviously changed.

When I checked the parts descriptions for the TCU for the E9X M3 (84109193856), the TCU is listed as a "GSM/US" unit (for production from 04/08 on). There is also a "GSM" unit (84109204343) for the NA market, which may be for Canada. For European spec M3s, the parts list shows three different GSM TCUs, (84109174261, 84109193857, 84109204344). No clue as to what differentiates them, but it may be for different markets (Europe/Asia/Africa?)

The other difference I noticed was that for US-spec cars, the parts list shows additional component--"Compensator" part #84216918520) that does not seem to exist in the euro-spec (although the Euro-spec TCU unit appears to be larger dimension and may integrate that component already).

I understand that the "SIM' card in these system is fixed and cannot be replaced, as it can with a GSM phone. But that is not something I have personally verified.

I know that some people have replaced a US TCU with a European one, but not the other way around...if its been done successfully, I would be grateful to hear about it.

I'd also be curious to hear about any other wisdom re these parts from others that may be applied to the goal of activating a US-spec unit/replacing a US-spec unit to work in Europe.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2009, 05:22 PM   #8
Bandarof
Impossible is Nothing
Saudi Arabia
Rep
Drives: 08' white/red 335i

Garage List
2008 e92 335i  [0.00]
I recently bought a 335 (09/2007 Production) from america and shipped it over to saudi arabia, I'm trying to figure out how I can connect to the internet through my iDrive and download mail.
I cannot use google maps option because it is not activated in this country but I believe if I can send myself email and open it from the car, then it will serve the same purpose. In any case, it would be nice to have the option of browsing and sending/receiving emails in the car.

My iDrive interface does not have myInfo, but it does show it has been registered with some BMW services, when I tried to refresh they all dissapeared...Anyway, I am downloading the latest software right now to load on my iDrive, and I took out the TCU and opened it up and look at it's insides.

I think I must order a european tcu and replace it with it, but it says it's VIN specific and I can't figure out how to order myself a new tcu...Can anyone help??

08' 335i WHT/RED MT6
01' 323Ci TPZ BLU/GRY MT6
88' 750iL BLU/GRY
85' 745i Carbonite/Buffalo Turbo Injectors
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2009, 02:13 AM   #9
E90M3CDFR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandarof View Post
Anyway, I am downloading the latest software right now to load on my iDrive, and I took out the TCU and opened it up and look at it's insides.

I think I must order a european tcu and replace it with it, but it says it's VIN specific and I can't figure out how to order myself a new tcu...Can anyone help??
I've asked the same question of BMW AG and have been told (surprise) that you can't modify the US-spec TCU to work on the European system (I have a US-spec M3 in France). I am still looking at work arounds and will let you know what I find (I am going to the M3 factory at Regensburg in July and hope to find a responsive contact there).

I'm curious as to what you found when you pulled the TCU out. Did you take any photos? Is it obvious where the SIM is plugged in (or soldered?) and is there any info on that? Also when you said you downloaded the latest software, do you mean the maps or the operating system?

There is a way to access the service menu on the new iDrive that will let you see some information on the IMEI of the SIM by the way. The process is as follows:

1. Push controller up for 10secs or more
2. Controller to the right 3 notches
3. Controller to the left 3 notches
4. Controller 1 notch to right
5. Controller 1 notch to left
6. Controller 1 notch to right
7. Press controller once

Also, if you PM me with an email, I can send you a PDF of a technical document on the CIC for the 2009 models.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2009, 02:51 AM   #10
hanmaas
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 335i

E90M3CDFR, has your RTTI stopped working or has it never worked at all? Mine (US-Spec in Germany) suddenly stopped working about a month ago and all BMW is doing is questioning whether it ever worked .
      06-18-2009, 02:55 AM   #11
E90M3CDFR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanmaas View Post
E90M3CDFR, has your RTTI stopped working or has it never worked at all? Mine (US-Spec in Germany) suddenly stopped working about a month ago and all BMW is doing is questioning whether it ever worked .
Mine has not worked at all since I took delivery in Oct 2008. But I have heard from others that had RTTI working and then it stopped, usually after the car was in for service. Did you take your's in for some work?

What are the specs on your car? iDrive, nav, etc?

Did you buy your car at Pentagon Car Sales by any chance? If so, go in and tell them that they need to weigh in with BMW to deal with this issue.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2009, 04:20 AM   #12
hanmaas
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 335i

It stopped working right after I received an update . I bought it from a regular U.S. dealer. I have a 2007 e92 335i.
      06-18-2009, 04:37 AM   #13
E90M3CDFR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanmaas View Post
It stopped working right after I received an update . I bought it from a regular U.S. dealer. I have a 2007 e92 335i.
Can you find out what was updated, with as much detail as possible? If you send me that info, I will pass it on to the BMW AG people I have been dealing with as evidence that the system is/was functional.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2009, 09:05 AM   #14
Bandarof
Impossible is Nothing
Saudi Arabia
Rep
Drives: 08' white/red 335i

Garage List
2008 e92 335i  [0.00]
by the way...Like most phones in the US, GSM phones are usually locked to be used only with a sim from the provider where you purchased the phone. If you replace the SIM chip in the TCU and still doesn't work, it might be because the TCU is locked and configured to only read AT&T Sim chips. You can take it one of those mobile phone maintenance places to remove the lock and make the unit accept any SIM chip, let me knwo how it turns out.

08' 335i WHT/RED MT6
01' 323Ci TPZ BLU/GRY MT6
88' 750iL BLU/GRY
85' 745i Carbonite/Buffalo Turbo Injectors
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2009, 02:37 PM   #15
Paardshoofd
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 Coupe E92

I'm also struggling to find info to convert my US spec M3 (2009 model with NavPro) to EU standards. I live in the UK for my job in the Netherlands Navy and bought the M3 because I was scheduled to go to the States later this year. However, shit happens, and this was cancelled... and now I would like to make my car as European as possible.
I want to start with the radio (enable all freqs), enable TMC, BMW services/online etc.
Is there a combined location or forum where I can find this info? I still haven't found a dealer or garage that can assist me with these mods.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2009, 03:36 PM   #16
bhuether
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d Sedan Sport Pkg

I am very interested in this thread as I am taking a US spec'd 2010 335d to Germany. I am very curious if there is a way to mod the US TCU to work on the Germany GSM net (presumably T-Mobile?). Or I wonder if you can simply swap out TCUs...

In this day and age where mobility is so common place, seems that there has to be a more modular approach to ensuring across the world compatibility of this crucial aspect of the car.

thanks,

brian
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2010, 02:19 PM   #17
Bmwforewer
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2009 m3 e92;2008 X5

Hi Everyone!
Finally a have appointment for reprogramming the car from us to eu spec...Next monday I have to be there,and I have to leave the car whit them for 5 days...They are in Austria,close to the Italian border.Will be fixed the radio,headlight,Bmw-online,Navi (my navi do not display the POI-s on the map)and I guess the ECU,because they said the car will be stronger a little bit...For Bmw online they have to install inbuilt phone module.Us spec cars don't have that...It will be between 2 and 3000€
Keep you inform...

I'm still locking for BMW 1000 rr....
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2010, 02:14 PM   #18
gladys
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i xDrive

Hi, did any body have any luck getting rtti and the radio to work in Europe on a us e90?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 03:35 PM   #19
Cyclone Chris
US Air Force. HUAP.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 SG M3 ZCP / DCT

Bringing an old thread to life. Any solutions on this yet?

2005 Pontiac GTO - 6Spd - 445 RWHP/415 RWTQ - SOLD
2013 BMW M3 Coupe - /// Competition Pkg /// Premium Pkg /// Dual Clutch Transmission /// BMW Apps /// Heated Seats ///
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 12:07 PM   #20
Cyclone Chris
US Air Force. HUAP.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 SG M3 ZCP / DCT

Bump. Anything on this?

2005 Pontiac GTO - 6Spd - 445 RWHP/415 RWTQ - SOLD
2013 BMW M3 Coupe - /// Competition Pkg /// Premium Pkg /// Dual Clutch Transmission /// BMW Apps /// Heated Seats ///
Appreciate 0