E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > FRP vs CF hood questions

01-19-2013, 10:41 AM   #1
cmyk
resident girl.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i + 2014 X5

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [8.76]
FRP vs CF hood questions

I am certain this has been discussed before. I searched and found a few short threads, but nothing that really answered my questions.

I am getting ready to order a new hood and I need to know the actual pros/cons of FRP vs CF. From my understanding the CF hoods are just FRP with a layer of CF on top, which would make this mostly for "show" am I right? My plans are to paint the hood either way.

I spoke to my body shop and they mentioned FRP having issues with cracking under stress, and CF being more difficult to paint. In fact, the hood I have now is painted CF and the reason I'm getting rid of it is because the paint job was botched so badly that you can see the CF weave through the paint. My shop could not guarantee that this wouldn't happen again with another CF hood. Not sure I quite believe that, but I'll take them at their word.

I'm just trying to make an informed decision, and pick the material that's the best fit for what I need. By the way, the hood I am most likely getting is this one: http://www.jgmods.com/index.php/bmw/...d-bmw-e90.html if that helps. If the extra $250 is really just for the "look" of cf, then it's a no-brainer that I would go with FRP since it will be painted over, but if there are any actual benefits of the CF version that I don't know about, I have no problem spending the money for a better product. I just don't know what the real differences are.

Can someone explain the actual differences and benefits of one vs the other? I feel like I'm missing something.

2008 E90 335i // Black Everything // photos
COBB tuned / QTP e-cutouts / Helix FMIC / cp-e DCI / AWE BOVs / Catless / FBO + F15 X5 xDrive35i

Last edited by cmyk; 01-19-2013 at 10:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2013, 01:41 PM   #2
JYohay
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5

Just curious, why don't you just strip the paint off the current one and have it reprinted?
Carbon fiber is lighted
FRP though will stil be lighter then OEM metal
With a hood you don't really have to worry about the structural integrity of FRP.
If you are going to paint the whole thing anyway then go for FRP.
But again, I have a buddy who stripped the paint of his m3 front lip back t carbon with no problem, and just re-clear coats it and it looks good as new.
Y should just have yours stripped and repainted unless I am missing something
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2013, 01:56 PM   #3
cmyk
resident girl.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JYohay
Just curious, why don't you just strip the paint off the current one and have it reprinted?
Carbon fiber is lighted
FRP though will stil be lighter then OEM metal
With a hood you don't really have to worry about the structural integrity of FRP.
If you are going to paint the whole thing anyway then go for FRP.
But again, I have a buddy who stripped the paint of his m3 front lip back t carbon with no problem, and just re-clear coats it and it looks good as new.
Y should just have yours stripped and repainted unless I am missing something
Thanks -- as far as stripping and repainting, that is unfortunately not an option in this case. The body shop sanded down all of the gel coating and attempted to paint the cf directly (don't ask me why, I have no clue what they were thinking). When the paint soaked into the weave pattern, they tried to put filler on top of it. It was then sanded down and repainted a second time, and then a third time, but the paint now has a weave texture that you can see from 10 feet away. They basically ruined the hood, and are reimbursing me for the price I paid for the original hood so that I can buy another one. Just wanted to make sure this didn't happen again.

COBB tuned / QTP e-cutouts / Helix FMIC / cp-e DCI / AWE BOVs / Catless / FBO + F15 X5 xDrive35i
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2013, 01:56 PM   #4
cmyk
resident girl.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [8.76]
sorry for the duplicate posts, stupid Android app

Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 09:48 AM   #5
EJ_3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i, e34 525i & e60 530i

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [8.34]
2016 Ram 1500 Sport  [8.00]
1994 BMW 525i  [10.00]
2007 BMW 530i  [8.66]
I'll go with the FRP for sure. I'm planning on getting the V style hood from them hopefully before Bimmer Fest. As mentioned, since the hood is going to be fully painted, I'm saving $250.

SN: If the shop covering the full price, I would get the carbon fiber and leave some exposed. I'm sure they won't sand it down this time. I'll be waiting for a new photoshoot!
      01-24-2013, 10:40 AM   #6
JGMODS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i Modded

Garage List
2007 BMW 335I  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [6.88]
Feel free to shoot me a PM, I'd be more than happy to answer any/all questions you have pertaining to the E92 Vented hood that we carry.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 11:53 AM   #7
M BROK3
Major
Rep
Drives: F95 , G80 M3, F80 M3, E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyk View Post
I am certain this has been discussed before. I searched and found a few short threads, but nothing that really answered my questions.

I am getting ready to order a new hood and I need to know the actual pros/cons of FRP vs CF. From my understanding the CF hoods are just FRP with a layer of CF on top, which would make this mostly for "show" am I right? My plans are to paint the hood either way.

I spoke to my body shop and they mentioned FRP having issues with cracking under stress, and CF being more difficult to paint. In fact, the hood I have now is painted CF and the reason I'm getting rid of it is because the paint job was botched so badly that you can see the CF weave through the paint. My shop could not guarantee that this wouldn't happen again with another CF hood. Not sure I quite believe that, but I'll take them at their word.

I'm just trying to make an informed decision, and pick the material that's the best fit for what I need. By the way, the hood I am most likely getting is this one: http://www.jgmods.com/index.php/bmw/...d-bmw-e90.html if that helps. If the extra $250 is really just for the "look" of cf, then it's a no-brainer that I would go with FRP since it will be painted over, but if there are any actual benefits of the CF version that I don't know about, I have no problem spending the money for a better product. I just don't know what the real differences are.

Can someone explain the actual differences and benefits of one vs the other? I feel like I'm missing something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny_World View Post
I'll go with the FRP for sure. I'm planning on getting the V style hood from them hopefully before Bimmer Fest. As mentioned, since the hood is going to be fully painted, I'm saving $250.

SN: If the shop covering the full price, I would get the carbon fiber and leave some exposed. I'm sure they won't sand it down this time. I'll be waiting for a new photoshoot!
Stay away from FRP I had a cf hood before and FRP now and even though you will save money buying it, the cost of prepping and painting FRP is a lot more then CF and is just not worth it, and the CF felt much stronger then the FRP for some reason and much easier to paint then FRP.

COTM Pics Here
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 11:57 AM   #8
cmyk
resident girl.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by x-ception View Post
Stay away from FRP I had a cf hood before and FRP now and even though you will save money buying it, the cost of prepping and painting FRP is a lot more then CF and is just not worth it, and the CF felt much stronger then the FRP for some reason and much easier to paint then FRP.
Thanks, appreciate the input The body shop basically told me the opposite of this -- that FRP was easier to paint than CF. Given the quality of work on my current hood, I am inclined to believe you over them, lol. I think they were just trying to blame my hood for their inability to paint something properly.

What I really want is Vorsteiner, but it's discontinued

Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 12:21 PM   #9
M BROK3
Major
Rep
Drives: F95 , G80 M3, F80 M3, E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyk View Post
Thanks, appreciate the input The body shop basically told me the opposite of this -- that FRP was easier to paint than CF. Given the quality of work on my current hood, I am inclined to believe you over them, lol. I think they were just trying to blame my hood for their inability to paint something properly.

What I really want is Vorsteiner, but it's discontinued
I currently have the Duke Dynamics FRP hood and it was such a pain to paint that I regret not getting a CF and honestly you can rock the Cf look for a while and when you are bored you can paint it, you might think it looks ricey (i thought the same) but on black cars it doesn't look too bad. Also if FRP is not prepped properly it will come out very cheap and bloated looking.

COTM Pics Here
Appreciate 0