E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Installing louvers/vents on a stock hood

08-26-2014, 08:44 AM   #1
wren57
Roll Tide
Rep
Drives: 335i

Installing louvers/vents on a stock hood

I'm doing an LCI conversion and may have found a hood already painted. Considering painting the hood is damn near $1k because of the blending this may save me a boatload of money. I really like the Duke Dynamics vented hood:

Problem is it's also $1k. So between the hood and painting it'd be nearly $2k for some vents. Why not find a factory hood for < $500 and insert something like this:

Is there any way to make that look good? I don't know because I haven't seen it done, looking for someone who has maybe tried it. I may try it on my preLCI hood if nobody has done it and see what happens but figured I'd try here first.

I know it's not an ideal solution but the savings could go to retirement, vacation, or a CSL trunk.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 08:54 AM   #2
shadow191
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 Volvo XC90 R-Design

It's doable, I've seen it done. But keep in mind that they will likely have to trim some of the hood support underneath. I'm referring to the support "beams" under the hood. Not a huge deal, your hood isn't going to collapse, but it will probably look ugly. It would look fine on top. Keep in mind that the cost of installing vents and molding them in will likely be more than $500. Vents are cheap, but the labor is going to cost. Unless you planned on just bolting it on...which I would not recommend.

I've seen it done on 350Z's a lot, there was even one made with templates for cutting and everything.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 10:55 AM   #3
dragazn
Major
Rep
Drives: i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [5.76]
Check out this thread, its almost close as what you are thinking. Hopefully there are some way you can cut into it and give it to the body shop to retouch on pain and smooth out the corner:
http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/3240...aluminum-hood/
Appreciate 0