E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > The BMW Maintenance Program

06-17-2012, 10:36 AM   #1
ZeroM31996
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Honda Civic EX

The BMW Maintenance Program

"When you invest in a BMW, you can drive confidently knowing your vehicle includes the BMW Maintenance Program, covering all factory-recommended maintenance and specific items requiring replacement due to normal wear and tear at no charge, for the first 4 years/50,000 miles, whichever comes first.

But your confidence doesn't need to end there. You may have the option to purchase an upgrade for an additional 2 years/50,000 miles, extending your maintenance coverage up to a total of 6 years/100,000 miles, for applicable models-its coverage and value are unmatched.

The Maintenance Program Upgrade option also extends the standard 4 years/unlimited mileage BMW Roadside* Assistance Program benefit period by an additional 2 years/unlimited mileage for a total of 6 years/unlimited mileage."

Okay my car is a 2007 335I with 50800 miles on it.
It has the Maintenance Program upgrade option. CPO until Sept 2013.

I recently check the the Coolant, it appears to be some Amber/orange stuff in it. Has preciptate in it too. Looks cloudy.
Check the freeze and boiling point...and its within normal limit.
How do I read the level of the coolant. It has a weird brown stick in it????

If I take this to the dealership, will they replace it for free?
Or are they only going by Service Intervals? I.e., if it's not time for a oil,brake,or coolant change, they will not do it?
Basically when required at specified service intervals.

Or would I have to pay out of my own pocket?

What is the service interval for coolant change?

Appreciate the help or any input. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2012, 11:59 AM   #2
mikekilpatrick
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW F10 550 Xdrive Msport

Ok, that is the normal color of the coolant and you can measure the coolant level (ONLY CHECK WHEN CAR IS COLD!) by taking the cap off of the reservoir and looking at where that weird stick is floating at. See the Side of the Reservoir and it will show a diagram of the stick floating. If you look at the stick from a side view, it will have a little marker on the top of it that SHOULD BE floating just above the top of the plastic screw thread which the cap attaches to. If within that range, you are good to go. If low, you can add just water if only a small amount is needed. Dealership will only replace something if their service manual states it needs to be replaced. You do not need another reason to get anything serviced on the car. If Oil, Brake or some other fluid is designated as needing replacement, the dealer will do it.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2012, 12:02 PM   #3
mikekilpatrick
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW F10 550 Xdrive Msport

BMW does NOT have a service interval for the Coolant, it is a "lifetime" item. I think any body other than dealer would say 5 years or 150k miles. See this article http://www.aa1car.com/library/bmw_co...ice_system.htm

So, in a nutshell, unless there is a mechanical problem with your car that requires replacement of the coolant, it will come out of your pocket.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2012, 01:21 PM   #4
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikekilpatrick View Post
BMW does NOT have a service interval for the Coolant, it is a "lifetime" item. I think any body other than dealer would say 5 years or 150k miles. See this article http://www.aa1car.com/library/bmw_co...ice_system.htm

So, in a nutshell, unless there is a mechanical problem with your car that requires replacement of the coolant, it will come out of your pocket.
Yes they do have a recommended interval. It's 100,000 miles. It's in the maintenance manual.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2012, 01:22 PM   #5
ZeroM31996
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Honda Civic EX

Hey Mike,

It doesnt look like the BLUE BMW Coolant...that I'm use too. I have a e36 and it had the BLUE coolant and it never look cloudy/slightly milky?

I'm thinking this is Dex-Cool or Zyrex.....some over-the-counter the stuff...

Okay..I guess it's at the normal level. Brown stick at the thread...Thanks
Appreciate 0