E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Are most carbon fiber parts the same?

10-05-2014, 04:10 PM   #1
Walker16
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 335i

Garage List
Are most carbon fiber parts the same?

I'm looking at getting a performance style carbon fiber diffuser. I noticed some company's like duke dynamics, rw carbon and JL motoring all sell what looks to be the same piece. Are the different or do they all come from the same place in china and they get them cheep and just resell them from there US warehouse? Thanks for any input.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2014, 07:01 PM   #2
Walker16
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
And same or different from the ones on ebay that are from Taiwan or China?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2014, 08:53 PM   #3
ActiveLife
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M535d

Walker,

I own a carbon fiber manufacturing company, we produce composite panels and parts to our customers and our own line. I'm not here to advertise at the moment, however to answer your question:

Short answer:
No, not all carbon composite pieces are alike.

Longer answer (but not intensely detailed):
There are many variables that determine the MSRP of a finished product... the two largest variables come down to two... Materials Used and Technique (process) Of Manufacturing.

Fiberglass is cheap, so most of the stuff you see for sale is just for aesthetics... The first layer (face layer) is carbon fiber and then every additional layer is cheap fiberglass. The contrary being a true structural solid carbon fiber panel.

Additionally, Polyester Resin is cheap. The chemical make up of polyester is far less structurally tolerant and is far more brittle. The contrary to this being Epoxy Resin.

I'd rather not write a novel (we can speak in private if you're interested), but there are many different manufacturing processes that will also adjust cost to manufacture.

All in all, it's almost a "you get what you pay for" market that you are looking in, you'll find some price variation through different brands that offer certain details that others don't. It's going to come down to how much you're willing to pay and what level you want your product to be.

I'm not saying "you could have saved $50 and had better fitment if you bought from Company X", however when you look into actual carbon fiber panels, you'll realize that there are reasons the prices are significantly higher and why those purer panels "perform" better than the lesser expensive carbon faced fiberglass polyester panels.

-Active
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2014, 01:59 PM   #4
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

No they are not.
RW carbon have created a thread on here explaining the major differences between carbon fiber products.
That thread compared to the reply above from activelife should give you your answer.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2014, 06:28 PM   #5
Walker16
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
thanks that was a good read posted by RW carbon. Now i just have to decide how much i want to spend for quality.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2014, 07:06 PM   #6
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 G01 X3M40i

If it's spoilers, lips, and kidney grills... Save yourself money and go with eBay.