E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition > AB WORKOUT

01-29-2009, 05:19 PM   #23
DougLikesBMW
Fapmin
Rep
Drives: '03 E46 330Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxForgedxx View Post
I just don't like being TINY, I'd rather maintain my mass and still have abs. I wasn't as strong when I was 165lbs.
Sorry man, why are you bringing up being tiny? Doesn't really have anything to do with what I was talking about. lol
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2009, 05:31 PM   #24
xxForgedxx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Slow/Fat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougLikesBMW View Post
Sorry man, why are you bringing up being tiny? Doesn't really have anything to do with what I was talking about. lol
Not you, others that are saying to cut the weight and lose 18 lbs lol
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2009, 05:34 PM   #25
D1911
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 S2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxForgedxx View Post
Tape neck... tape around belly button, and calculate. That's it
totally an inaccurate way to measure bodyfat... lol.

I bet you're lower then what you were told...
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2009, 05:40 PM   #26
1cleanm6
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M5 comp/Range/i3S

Quote:
Originally Posted by D1911 View Post
totally an inaccurate way to measure bodyfat... lol.

I bet you're lower then what you were told...
the best way to get messured is under water...
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2009, 05:44 PM   #27
D1911
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 S2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted335 View Post
the best way to get messured is under water...
true... not a lot of places offer that though.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2009, 06:23 PM   #28
BMW_TT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by D1911 View Post
true... not a lot of places offer that though.
Not even sure how much they charge for that. I want to order one of those scales that measures bf%. Just don't know which one to get.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2009, 06:38 PM   #29
BoostedBMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: TiAg E92 335

Garage List
2003 S2000  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.jay View Post
+1 for weighted excersises, abs are a muscle they need weight to grow. Dont know if you have any fat on your abdomen but you need to get your BF% down as low as you can to see the ab muscle, diet and cardio are the hardest things to do for me, I can get as big as a house but when it comes to abs I really have to smoke them to see results. Hope this helps
... abs aren't genetic, they aren't doing 6 million crunches or hanging leg lifts either. The saying that "abs are made in the kitchen, not in the gym" is actually true to a certain extent. You can have the strongest core in the world without any ab definition if your BF isn't low enough (need to be around 10% or under for good ab definition).

I think that compound lifts help to strengthen your core the most (ie. squats), but for additional ab work I like to do weighted excercises as well. I switch between targeting upper and lower abs every few days. For upper abs I like to do weighted crunches on the floor with my legs in the air, and for lower abs I like to use a decline bench with a weight on my chest. One thing to keep in mind though, which is something that took me a long ass time to figure out, is that most people who do marathon ab work and never see results is usually because they don't have a proper diet, and also they don't train their abs correctly because they think that the abdominals work like a hinge like most other muscle groups. This is incorrect as if you do crunches, or any other ab excercise for that matter, like a hinge you are working your hip flexers instead of your abs. You have to work them like an accordian (sp?) where you really focus on contracting them as much as possible during the excercise, and that makes all the difference IMO.

**edit**
I just saw your pic posted so your not a noobie when it comes to working out. I would say that if you cut for two months you would have great ab definition, but if you don't like being "tiny," which I don't think you would be at 10lbs or so less, then you can just focus now on putting on mass and then cut for abs later on. Its hard to do both at the same time though unless you already have a low enough bf%.

l 19" Rial Daytona Race l KW V2 l Eisenhaus Race Exhaust l
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2009, 06:39 PM   #30
BoostedBMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: TiAg E92 335

Garage List
2003 S2000  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_TT View Post
Not even sure how much they charge for that. I want to order one of those scales that measures bf%. Just don't know which one to get.
I just bought a caliper for like 15 bucks... its close enough because the delta is what I'm really interested in seeing anyway. The scales that measure BF that I have tried all suck balls.

l 19" Rial Daytona Race l KW V2 l Eisenhaus Race Exhaust l
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2009, 09:02 PM   #31
Heinzftw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2000 Civic+2008 Accord

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK911Carrera View Post
I had abs until college started..

-AK
Beerpong is just too tempting isn't it?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2009, 11:17 PM   #32
BMW_TT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

I used the stand to do leg lifts. Another way I used to make my friends do with me is have one guy stand in front of you with their hands out a little bit above your waist level. While you lift your leg, you'll try to touch his hand. When you're almost touching the hand the guy with the hands out with push your feet down at the same time. Hold your leg out for 3 sec then drop it down. I usually do 15 reps of these.
Appreciate 0