E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > BMW Xenon Coding (Condensed)

05-02-2013, 06:30 AM   #111
WOT Bimmer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ******84 View Post
After you select FRM you should ChANGE JOB F2 to CODIERATEN_LESSEN, ok and EXECUTE JOB. next you have to edit fsw_psw.trc, but first copy this file on your desktop. After editing you have to change his extension to .man ang copy it to work folder replaceing it with existing blank fsw_psw.man file.. Now CHANGE JOB to sg_codieren and execute job.
Good luck.
That is a little different than what I was trying, but let me give this a try and see how it goes. I am waiting on a new cable to get here (should be here Saturday) and I will try it then.

Thanks for your help!
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2013, 01:49 PM   #112
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Few questions;
I have moved from Pre-LCI halogen to LCI euro Xenon headlights.

Coding is fine and no errors. I have gone for adding code to VO and resetting FRM.

Issues are following;

At the moment here are the issues:

1- Since LCI headlights are bi-xenon and shutters get connected with the high beam wire. It works when headlights are on. However when xenons are off, high beam triggers the shutter and as there is no xenon, therefore nothing happens.

Any suggestions for the solution?
If no, then I guess I will have to install the rest of the wiring and level sensors.

2- I am assuming that cars withs xenons have no headlight adjustment knob on the headlight switch and they are auto leveling due to the sensors. Am I correct in thinking that?

As my headlight adjustment knob does not work with xenon lights.

Thanks.
      06-01-2013, 05:12 PM   #113
pweber
Banned
Germany
Rep
Drives: M57 330D

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
Few questions;
I have moved from Pre-LCI halogen to LCI euro Xenon headlights.

Coding is fine and no errors. I have gone for adding code to VO and resetting FRM.

Issues are following;

At the moment here are the issues:

1- Since LCI headlights are bi-xenon and shutters get connected with the high beam wire. It works when headlights are on. However when xenons are off, high beam triggers the shutter and as there is no xenon, therefore nothing happens.

Any suggestions for the solution?
If no, then I guess I will have to install the rest of the wiring and level sensors.

2- I am assuming that cars withs xenons have no headlight adjustment knob on the headlight switch and they are auto leveling due to the sensors. Am I correct in thinking that?

As my headlight adjustment knob does not work with xenon lights.

Thanks.
1. High beams should be on when you pull the trigger and headlight off, not xenon.

2. That's correct. Your adjustment knob does not work.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2013, 05:20 PM   #114
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

I like your confidence. As without knowing detailed info, you still like to answer without any hesitation.
Just FYI, LCI xenon headlights are bi-xenons.
      06-02-2013, 01:53 AM   #115
pweber
Banned
Germany
Rep
Drives: M57 330D

Quote:
I like your confidence. As without knowing detailed info, you still like to answer without any hesitation.
Just FYI, LCI xenon headlights are bi-xenons.
So I think that I don't understand what you want to do.
This what you described in point 1. sounds fine, and all seems to work fine.
I have exactly the same in my car.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 09:19 AM   #116
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ****** View Post
So I think that I don't understand what you want to do.
This what you described in point 1. sounds fine, and all seems to work fine.
I have exactly the same in my car.
Have you had those xenons from the factory or have you retrofitted them?

I have retrofitted them and when you retrofit them you need to connect the high beam wire to the shutter.

It works when the xenon is on, but when xenon is off and you flash for certain reasons, its only the shutter moving and no xenon at the back. (as light is off)

Thats what I am asking? I there a way around with the coding?
      06-07-2013, 10:00 AM   #117
Trevendous03
photographer // designer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i E90 SG

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
Only change vo if you are fitting genuine bmw xenons, and also the auto level sensors that fit on the suspension.
This is bad advice. You'll want to always change the VO by adding the $522 (no matter if it's aftermarket or OEM xenon). This basically tells the car it's running xenon and not halogens, so the appropriate codes show in the FRM to resolve the car on lift error.

Even if some people's issues are resolved by deactivating bulb checks only, your car could be different and throw different errors, so it's always best to code out every possible error that could come up.

Here's a link of everything I coded (xenon conversion coding came first and must always come first): http://www.trevorloken.com/bmw/BMW-Coding.pdf

I'm an IT professional for a living and know that it's not good to just half-a** something. Do it right the first time. I'm going on a year and a half with no errors on my aftermarket xenons, and I had every error in the book when I first installed, because I drive a 2006.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOT Bimmer View Post
That is a little different than what I was trying, but let me give this a try and see how it goes. I am waiting on a new cable to get here (should be here Saturday) and I will try it then.

Thanks for your help!
Hopefully the new cable works for you.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 10:40 AM   #118
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Sorry i don't agree, having to go under the bonnet with an allen key to adjust the headlight level every time you put something heavy in the boot or passengers in the back because the level knob doesn't work is far from ideal!!
Lierally all it affects is the values for the bulb out errors!
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 01:23 PM   #119
Trevendous03
photographer // designer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i E90 SG

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
Sorry i don't agree, having to go under the bonnet with an allen key to adjust the headlight level every time you put something heavy in the boot or passengers in the back because the level knob doesn't work is far from ideal!!
Lierally all it affects is the values for the bulb out errors!
I was talking about the OEM xenons comment. You said you only need to change the VO if you're installing "genuine BMW xenons." That is not true. There's also a way to fix the auto-leveling feature after you change the VO. It's in one of those tutorials. I don't remember which one.

I don't have auto-leveling, so it didn't pertain to me when I was coding out my errors.

The first time I coded my car, I tried just deactivating all the bulb checks (cold and warm), and my car was still throwing two errors including the car on lift error. The next time, I added the $522 to the VO, and that resolved that main red error, then I had to deactivate all the bulb checks again, because changing the VO activated them all again, and that resolved the yellow errors.

Changing the VO does a lot more than just changing the values or parameters of the bulb checks.

Last edited by Trevendous03; 06-07-2013 at 01:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 01:40 PM   #120
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

I think if you have the money to fit the auto level sensors etc them you have enough to buy genuine xenons anyway.

And yes i also had the car on lift error when i first deactivated the low beam checks, i just drove down the road and it went away, and has never come back. This is a known thing i believe.

Anyway it doesn't matter which way you guys in north america do it as i have since found out that you don't have the adjuster knob next to the light switch like we do in europe on halogen cars.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2013, 10:10 PM   #121
charles.soori
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F85 x5m

Quote:
Have you had those xenons from the factory or have you retrofitted them?

I have retrofitted them and when you retrofit them you need to connect the high beam wire to the shutter.

It works when the xenon is on, but when xenon is off and you flash for certain reasons, its only the shutter moving and no xenon at the back. (as light is off)

Thats what I am asking? I there a way around with the coding?
Change
Xenon_al_verbaut to aktive
Bi_xenon_bei_lh to active
Should have flash now even with light off.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2013, 04:10 AM   #122
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles.soori View Post
Change
Xenon_al_verbaut to aktive
Bi_xenon_bei_lh to active
Should have flash now even with light off.
Thanks Charles.
I have already tried that. With that coding, FRM assume that you have bi-xenon with OEM xenon wiring.
It fires the xenon when the light are off, but it deactivates the H7 high beam power as well. Which means with that coding, high beam with the lights on do not work. And that is to do with a different PIN on FRM for shutter when bi-xenon installed.

So I need to figure out those two pins to swap the high beam H7 wiring to those pins, or I go for the method which Teaston told me (easier one).

Thanks for your input.
      06-09-2013, 04:40 AM   #123
randomquickness
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 996tt

is there a pnp harness to go from halogen to xenon?
      06-09-2013, 04:45 AM   #124
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomquickness View Post
is there a pnp harness to go from halogen to xenon?
Changing the wiring from halogen to xenon is not difficult at all. I can create a plug and play harness, but has no time.

The real OEM harness runs from the sensors to FRM and then to headlights, so basically you are adding level sensors. Changing few pin allocation on FRM wirings and then running them to headlight. Pain in the bottom!
      06-09-2013, 05:09 AM   #125
randomquickness
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 996tt

Quote:
Changing the wiring from halogen to xenon is not difficult at all. I can create a plug and play harness, but has no time.

The real OEM harness runs from the sensors to FRM and then to headlights, so basically you are adding level sensors. Changing few pin allocation on FRM wirings and then running them to headlight. Pain in the bottom!
Thanks, I realize it might not be difficult but I hate messing with wires. Plus, if I do the swap I want it to be easily reversible for when I go to sell the car a few years from now. So you don't know of anyone or vendor that sells a pnp harness?
      06-09-2013, 07:53 AM   #126
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomquickness View Post
Thanks, I realize it might not be difficult but I hate messing with wires. Plus, if I do the swap I want it to be easily reversible for when I go to sell the car a few years from now. So you don't know of anyone or vendor that sells a pnp harness?
To keep the things simple, few principles;
1- Xenon and Halogen have most of the wirings common.
2- Xenon wiring will not harm halogen headlights, as if you revert back to halogen. (as far as you add the new wirings)
3- As you may already know that normal wiring will not harm xenon wiring.

So wiring for one will never harm.

The best thing is to add 2-3 wires, which will not harm the halogen headlights if you sell the car.

To that;
1- You need to add new earth wiring and connect it to current earth wiring. Part numbers are given on the forum already.
2- You need to add new wire for the shutter (pin 5) and connect it to pin 6.
3- Only applicable if you are going for LCI headlights and wants the side three leds to be on with your halo rings, then you add another wires to pin 7, and connect it to pin 1.

Benefit of doing this:
At any stage if you put the halogen headlights, they will work without the flaw, as they miss additional wires which we have added.

I hope its clear.
      08-13-2013, 06:18 PM   #127
michbmw
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 328XI

Question, correct me if i'm wrong but all the wiring modifications referred to in this thread go from pre-LCI halogen to LCI Xenon, does anyone know if any wiring modifications need to be made to go from LCI halogen to LCI Xenon? i've done a tone of reading and i'm having a hard time finding the info....

thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 02:28 AM   #128
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

I'm pretty sure it's the same. You could look up retro fitting lci halogens on a pre lci. If theres no wiring mods needed for that then the wiring is definitely the same!
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 05:08 AM   #129
michbmw
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I do not believe there is any changes, i'm going to pull off my cable and see which ports have wires to it, that should tell me as well, I'm just curious if LCI's are wired for either one
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 07:08 AM   #130
michbmw
Second Lieutenant
Rep

LCI halogen looks to be wired the same way as the pre-lci halogens, I see the same wires on the connectors so the same wiring modifications should need to be made (adding pin 2 ground and pin 5 shutter for high beams should work the same way)
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 01:59 PM   #131
michbmw
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Sorry have another question, did some searching around and couldn't find a good answer. if going from lci or pre-lci halogen to xenon how do you aim the head lights? is there a manual way to aim LCI xenons? left/right, up/down?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 02:21 PM   #132
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Same as halogen
Appreciate 0