E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > BMW and Toyota Agree to Research Collaboration in Environment-friendly Technologies

12-01-2011, 01:19 AM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Post BMW and Toyota Agree to Research Collaboration in Environment-friendly Technologies

BIMMERPOST NEWS
BMW and Toyota Agree to Research Collaboration in Environment-friendly Technologies
COMMENTS
Name:  bmwtoyota.jpg
Views: 7232
Size:  69.7 KB

BMW Group and Toyota Agree to Mid-to-long-term Research Collaboration in Environment-friendly Technologies

BMW Group to Supply 1.6L and 2.0L BMW Fuel Efficient Diesel Engines to Toyota Motor

Tokio/München. BMW Group and Toyota Motor Corporation (TMC) announce that they today signed a memorandum of understanding (MOU) concerning a mid-to-long-term collaboration on next-generation environment-friendly technologies.

Under the MOU, the two companies agreed on a collaborative research in the field of next-generation lithium-ion battery technologies. Furthermore, they have agreed to identify and discuss other possible collaborative projects.

In addition, Toyota Motor Europe (TME), TMC’s European subsidiary, and BMW Group have entered into a contract under which BMW Group is to supply 1.6 liter and 2.0 liter diesel engines to TME starting in 2014. The engines will be installed in certain Toyota-produced vehicles planned for sale in the European market. Through this agreement, Toyota plans to expand its European lineup and sales of fuel-efficient, low CO2-emission diesel-powered vehicles.

Marking the announcement, Norbert Reithofer, Chairman of the Board of Management of BMW AG, said: “Toyota is the leading provider of environment-friendly series technology in the volume segment and the BMW Group is the most innovative and sustainable manufacturer of premium automobiles. We are now joining forces to further develop environment-friendly technologies and to expand our innovation leadership in each of our segments. Supplying Toyota with our fuel efficient and dynamic diesel engines represents another important step in the planned expansion of our sales activities for engines and powertrain systems.”

Representing TMC, President Akio Toyoda said: “It is a great joy and a thrill to enter into this mid-to-long-term collaborative relationship with BMW, a company with its own culture and history from its many years of car manufacturing in Europe, and a company that makes cars that are fun to drive. In the spirit of contributing to furthering the development of the auto industry and society, both companies will bring their wide-ranging knowledge - starting with that concerning environmental technologies - to the table and make ever-better cars.”

Appreciate 0
      12-01-2011, 09:14 AM   #2
M-Power111
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW....yet

this is great!! toyota is a great company to be partners with as they make nice vehicles. a BMW engine in a toyota sounds interesting. to the future

BMW=
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2011, 09:16 AM   #3
SO__USA
enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 BSM M3

Just make hybrids decent looking, please!
      12-01-2011, 09:22 AM   #4
Bill S
Private
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 30d N57 + E60 535d M57

This could get very interesting.

A 1.6l BMW diesel (perhaps 2.0l for larger vehicles) is more than adequate to maintain a top speed, particularly if optimised for a peak power output.
Electric motors can easily provide adequate acceleration power equivalent to even a 3.5l engine.
Li Ion batteries could easily provide energy to run for 5 minutes at, say, 80mph without excessive weight penalty.
The latest battery technology will accept charge at very high rates.
BMW have already developed energy recovery during braking and stop-start.

Put these together and you have a diesel electric system where the diesel only runs for a short time at optimal efficiency thus minimal consumption, the range is even better than a standard diesel, the power (when needed) is equivalent to the best gas or diesel.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2011, 09:25 AM   #5
M-Power111
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dresousa View Post
exaclty, with BMW involved now i dont think this will be a problem.

BMW=
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2011, 09:29 AM   #6
Glim
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i & 2013 X5 35i

Toyota should be giving BMW their cars, maybe BMW could attempt to make them fun to drive, good looking and have decent power; then they could stick a roundel on them and call them a BMW.

Then sell them at BMW dealerships.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2011, 09:32 AM   #7
Al-Muthamid
Driver
Portugal
Rep
Drives: Yet to be built but fast

Thumbs down BMW = VW... = 1 down to me...

Until yesterday i supported BMW and MB for having mid-size powerfull diesel engines that you cannot find in a Skoda... like VW Group does for instance!
(having an Audi and a Skoda/Seat with the same engines is ridiculous.... only the leather of your seats are different...)

I think this is a real bad move for BMW... less exclusive = less customers

I was thinking in having a new F20 20d M-Pack in 2012 but i refuse to have a Lexus IS / Toyota Avensis with the same engine as mine...

With this agreement i made my mind and i will go for the new 2012 MB A-Class 220CDI, at least it will be an exclusive one...

Kind regards BMW!
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2011, 09:33 AM   #8
Bill S
Private
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 30d N57 + E60 535d M57

Quote:
Originally Posted by dresousa View Post
Why should hybrids look or handle any different from any other car?
The only difference should be in the engine compartment.

The big mistake with electric cars is attempting to include too much battery power in too small a vehicle. Hybrids with a decent diesel and a stop-start system give the best of all.

Last edited by Bill S; 12-01-2011 at 09:42 AM.. Reason: missed word
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2011, 09:53 AM   #9
bimmerjph
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glim View Post
Toyota should be giving BMW their cars, maybe BMW could attempt to make them fun to drive, good looking and have decent power; then they could stick a roundel on them and call them a BMW.

I really hope you are being sarcastic
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2011, 09:57 AM   #10
M3 Montreal
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 SG ,DCT & 2011 S4

Wow what's up with Toyota...

First they get Subarus boxer engine for the FT86 and now this... Interesting.

2011 B8 S4 S-Tronic , Black on magma red
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2011, 10:14 AM   #11
mrow
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Appreciate 0
      12-01-2011, 10:30 AM   #12
Mahzari
Captain
Iran
Rep
Drives: poorly

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Montreal View Post
Wow what's up with Toyota...

First they get Subarus boxer engine for the FT86 and now this... Interesting.
They want to keep their place as the #1 auto manufacturer by catering to new markets. Personally, I'd rather have BMW not do this, but I guess I am too quick to judge.

Time to wait and see what cars develop from this partnership
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2011, 10:39 AM   #13
LemonOne
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///Most Powerful Letter

not very happy about this
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2011, 10:46 AM   #14
Touring
Major
Norway
Rep
Drives: i3,E21,M2,E23, Skoda Kodiaq

I think this is good news. This will keep BMW from getting bought up by rich companys like vw or some new-rich Chinese/Indian business. (like what happended to SAAB, Volvo, Jaguar).

When they share costs and technology, thats good for us !
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2011, 11:11 AM   #15
ArabianSensation
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al-Muthamid View Post
Until yesterday i supported BMW and MB for having mid-size powerfull diesel engines that you cannot find in a Skoda... like VW Group does for instance!
(having an Audi and a Skoda/Seat with the same engines is ridiculous.... only the leather of your seats are different...)

I think this is a real bad move for BMW... less exclusive = less customers

I was thinking in having a new F20 20d M-Pack in 2012 but i refuse to have a Lexus IS / Toyota Avensis with the same engine as mine...

With this agreement i made my mind and i will go for the new 2012 MB A-Class 220CDI, at least it will be an exclusive one...

Kind regards BMW!
"starting in 2014"

Your 2012 is safe. Also, the A-class is ugly.
      12-01-2011, 11:19 AM   #16
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: IS 300

Garage List
Thank God, Maybe BMW can take some tips on reliability.. And Toyota can make cars that feel better to drive...

"Speed never killed anyone its very important to get that straight, Speed has never killed a soul. Suddenly becoming stationary thats what gets people." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2011, 11:22 AM   #17
Glim
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjph View Post
Quote:

I really hope you are being sarcastic
Yes, yes I am...

This is a cash grab with bad move written all over it, BMW is parting out like we would do before selling our rides.

We will soon see Toyotas rolling around with "powered by BMW" on them, yet they will have the same limp washy steering and mushy brakes and a host of other crap Toyota mediocrity, and it will all be associated with BMW.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2011, 11:41 AM   #18
M-Power111
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes, yes I am...

This is a cash grab with bad move written all over it, BMW is parting out like we would do before selling our rides.

We will soon see Toyotas rolling around with "powered by BMW" on them, yet they will have the same limp washy steering and mushy brakes and a host of other crap Toyota mediocrity, and it will all be associated with BMW.
well the steering cant be blamed on BMW when their only supplying engines i would imagine. i think its a smart money move for BMW. i guess we'll see.

BMW=
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2011, 11:44 AM   #19
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Yes, yes I am...

What? LOL. We don't know what this deal actually consist of but this is almost like BMW partnering with PSA Peugeot Citroën to make the Prince engine for the MINI and Peugeot 308. It's not going to make Toyota's any less Toyota and more BMW. It's a collaborative deal where both AG's would provide input. I'm pretty sure in the future, the average consumer won't know that the Camry they just bought was an engine designed with the help of BMW.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2011, 11:51 AM   #20
F80NJM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
Sick car, sick site to sell a car. Shouldn't last long glws
      12-01-2011, 12:04 PM   #21
Glim
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 宝马.e90 View Post
What? LOL. We don't know what this deal actually consist of but this is almost like BMW partnering with PSA Peugeot Citroën to make the Prince engine for the MINI and Peugeot 308. It's not going to make Toyota's any less Toyota and more BMW. It's a collaborative deal where both AG's would provide input. I'm pretty sure in the future, the average consumer won't know that the Camry they just bought was an engine designed with the help of BMW.
They will when the advertising hits them and they see the BMW logo on the engine and on the car.

Does anyone believe Toyota will not take advantage of this when advertising new product lines?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2011, 12:13 PM   #22
M-Power111
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
They will when the advertising hits them and they see the BMW logo on the engine and on the car.

Does anyone believe Toyota will not take advantage of this when advertising new product lines?
oh im sure they will as they should, it'll only increase sales of Toyotas thus increasing profit for both Toyota and BMW. win win.

BMW=
Appreciate 0