E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > USB playback and playlists

06-08-2009, 01:48 PM   #1
magic77
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: ex- 335i

USB playback and playlists

Does Anyone know what format and if any restrictions restrict for the playlists.

I've created 5 playlists in m3u format and placed them in the root of the memory stick

However after the USB stick is scanned the list option is still empty.

Annoyingly the user manual has no information on this so hoping someone here does.

thanks
      06-08-2009, 04:07 PM   #2
AlanIOW
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 320d M Sport Convertible

Hi

m3u is definitely the correct playlist format for usb drives. From memory on my drive I have a folder called "music" with the folders for the artists inside as well as the playlists in m3u format. I created my playlist in Windows Media Player and did a "save as" directly to the music folder on the drive.

The "List" indicator on the stereo does take a few minutes to come on each time I start up, although it does remember to use the list it was on last.

Hope this helps

PS. I do not have iDrive and just the std stereo on my 2009 E93

PPS. My old 2007 E93 with USB was useless until they upgraded the Progman software for the whole car [After a year of me complainig about the USB], that would nearly always forget where it was and start from the begining every time I started
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2009, 04:13 PM   #3
magic77
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

thannks for that mine is a brand new lci I have 4 folders with mp3s in each folder. The folders just group the music by my types, Then I put the playlists in the root, maybe they need to go into the folder of the mp3s they contain.

Will give it a go otherwise might have to get some info from BMW

How many songs do you have per each playlist, I waited couple of hours as thats how long my drive was this no lists, will move them and try tommorow
      06-08-2009, 04:41 PM   #4
AlanIOW
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 320d M Sport Convertible

I would have thought what you have done should work, but try putting the music type folders in another folder in the root of the drive and the m3u playlists in the same folder.

My playlists [About 10] can contain hundreds of tracks, in fact my "All Tracks" list is the entire contents of a full 8Gb drive, these lists take a few miles of driving before "List" appears on the display.

I will have a look at the directory structure of my usb drive tomorrow to check what I have said is correct.

I use mainly .wma files [192 Kbps] but there are some mp3's in there and they all play OK. Not copy protected Wma's though!!

Can you play the tracks straight from the folders using the "DIR" button? which comes on in a couple of seconds after start up.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2009, 04:45 PM   #5
magic77
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

The mp3 play fine if I go into a given directory say "rock" and they play alphabetically, main reason for playlist is so to group them in album order.

Doing bit of google work I have found a post that states the playlists have to have a prefix BMWx and no spaces etc.

So

BMW1_rock
BMW2_jazz

etc

wonder if thats the case or just garbage
      06-08-2009, 04:53 PM   #6
wrighty
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

What year car can u use usb sticks and where do they go.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2009, 04:59 PM   #7
magic77
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

not sure definetly on the lci models - somewhere else i read it was from 2007 models but not 100% sure
      06-09-2009, 06:28 PM   #8
robbie99
Private First Class
Ireland
Rep
Drives: F36 420d Gran Coupé M Sport

I got my playlists working nicely a while back. From memory here's what I learned...

Playlists can be named anything, but must have extension .m3u. There's no need to prefix with BMW.

Playlists can be located anywhere in the dir structure, including root.

It takes a few moments, maybe up to a minute for the 'List' button to become active. All Playlist files should be found in that time.

Either the full path or a relative path to the mp3 or wma files need to be specified. Therefore if you're going to locate the playlist in the same directory as the mp3s, then the playlist will be a simple listing of the filenames. If you're going to locate the playlist in the root directory, then the full path to the mp3 files need to be given (note that the path starts with a "/" and not something like "e:\". Eg. /dir1/dir2/dir3/musicfile.mp3. Locating the playlist elsewhere means the path will look something like dir2/dir3/musicfile.mp3
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2009, 12:09 PM   #9
magic77
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Got it all working too agest for it to come up with the lists but I suppose it was down to the 8gb of music it had to scan, now I got it working just a case of tweaking them to get right order and songs in

thanks for your help